Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never followed NASCAR. I didn't realize they pretty much mandated the power train. Le Mans would be tough for an electric.

To develop a race car version from the Roadster would not have to be a Tesla project. They could sponsor a team that does most of the work with only a bit of help from Tesla.

I still think the NextGen Roadster is mostly intended to shut down the remaining critics about EV performance.
NASCAR mandates the car.. all cars are the same ( car of tomorrow) only minor brand changes are allowed. Each brand has its own engine, but ohv only, restricter plates in air , etc enforce parity.

Reactions: gillfoto
Jaguar CEO predicts a bottleneck with Batteries in 2019

Eine enorme Chance - manager magazin

What a surprise....

He also said their past focus in Diesel was the right move, they will continue to invest and believe the Diesel will remain and once the discussion settles everybody will look at the Diesel again to achieve the climate goals.

He just had to let 1000 people go. Brexit looks like a hard one with every day that passes and Jaguar will have a high burden to manage. People talk about 1bn additional costs for them.

No because they’d do it like they always do; ‘Oh, and by the way as of last week all Model Ss have such and such new interior’. They wouldn’t announce a new interior is coming in 6 months. They aren’t stupid. They’ll announce it if/when they are ready to put it in cars now/as of yesterday.

AFAIK Tesla doesn’t operate like all other manufacturers and has yet to specifically discount the current model before a new model steps in. IN FACT, Tesla continuously changes their cars, changes the options available, and routinely does NOT give customers a heads up in many cases.

Just read this forum and find hundreds of posts by members; ‘If only I’d known Tesla was going to change such and such a feature I’d have waited and not ordered.’

It’s academic because it’s not applicable.
I think we have an agreement about this subject.

If they have produced s 34,700 Model 3’s till Friday, won’t they easily reach q3 production goal?

With 9 weeks completed out of 13, here is what it should be like number wise
9/13 * 51 K = 35307
9/13 * 55 K = 38076

First few days of Q3 was slow, also number 34700 doesn't include Sat, Sunday of week 9.

Assuming like with every quarter there will be a spike in last 2-3 weeks, I think we are on pace for the lower end, and should exceed it. We likely will not hit 55K though.

(this is all about production, deliveries should be higher due to inventory from Q2) ~ cheers!!

(Note: for those looking at exact data, this quarter in fact has 13weeks and 1 day :) )

I have 80k Model 3 deliveries in Q4, so that's 6-7-8k/w progression throughout Q4, or 6.6k/w avg assuming 12 weeks. With ASP/margins favorable, primarily due to surprising demand for Performance, as well as Version 9 soon introducing FSD-exclusive feature(s), I expect $1B in net profits & $2B in FCF in 2H18, with the latter also getting a boost from Model 3 negative cash conversion cycle.

Assuming the above paragraph is correct, I don't see how shorts survive 2018.

"It took Norway about a decade to reach six percent electric vehicle sales but then only five years to go from 6 percent to 47 percent. "

47% includes short range PHEVs like the German premium sedans with less than 15 miles All Electric Range.

Equally true, if there more Bolts and Ionic EVs in stock they would already be sold, to a point.

Also if Tesla was already selling Model 3 in Norway the number of BEVs sold would also increase significantly.

Because Tesla guided profitability for Q3, I think deliveries are more important than production at this point. Carsonight has heard scuttlebut that demand was higher than expected for P3D. If that's true, 3Q profitability is possible even with lower than anticipated deliveries.

I hope this is true. The lower than guided production rates for August means more deliveries will have to be squeezed into delivery centers on the west coast. They will absolutely have to be on their game during this last month.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
The lower than guided production rates for August

34,700 Model 3s at the end of August (per Electrek’s report) equals ~52k for the quarter, well w/in the guidance for 50-55k quarterly production.

If you’re referring to the 6k/week, that’s true— they missed it. But it doesn’t matter, since their quarterly progress is on target. One more reason to stop giving out rate goals— they just end up as a basis for shorts & lazy journalists to criticize Tesla.

I really hope there are no public timelines for Model Y.

Reactions: erthquake
34,700 Model 3s at the end of August (per Electrek’s report) equals ~52k for the quarter, well w/in the guidance for 50-55k quarterly production.

If you’re referring to the 6k/week, that’s true— they missed it. But it doesn’t matter, since their quarterly progress is on target. One more reason to stop giving out rate goals— they just end up as a basis for shorts & lazy journalists to criticize Tesla.

I really hope there are no public timelines for Model Y.

Deliveries are more important than production given that profitability is now on the table. They would have been able to deliver more cars in Q3 if they had hit 6k in August. But if P3Ds are a higher percentage of the deliveries than they anticipated, it might be a wash in terms of impact on Q3 profits.

One point worth mentioning. They may have not hit 6k/week because they may have seen a higher than expected order flow for the dual motor performance model 3. That build may require a bit more complexity but well worth it given the higher margins. So, in a nutshell, tesla could hit their 50-55k guidance but do so with really strong margins. Trade em well. If I was short - I too would be worried and working this Labor Day weekend to spread as much FUD as possible. Good luck!!!!

The Semi exists... I have seen it with my own two eyes! (Front ends look wonky due to quick and dirty license plate removal via phone...)

PSX_20180902_145318.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.