Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting comment from Toronto, ON, Canada. Talked to a sales rep while attempting to purchase a wall charger. He mentioned that they are working to figure out the logistics for delivery and scrambling to hire staff. He mentioned the region has ~30k pre-orders and ~3k already configured. The number seems a tad high...I'm thinking it might be for all of Canada?

In any case, take this info with a grain of salt, but I figured I'd throw it out there. And no, I was not able to buy the wall charger as I didn't have a VIN yet. We'll see in a couple of weeks.

The GTAs population is 35% of Canada. It’s also fhe highest income earning city in the country. I believe the sales guy.

Employee cost roughly $3~4B per year.
Each factory spending is $1B a year ($1Bx3)
Other stuff cost $1~2B a year.

The total spending is $8B a year, not including materials and parts for cars.

How can the factories cost (cost meaning recurring non-value increasing expense, not investment in machinery) 1B each??? GF1 was projected to cost something like 5B to build from scratch (one time capital cost).

2017 had :
11.7B in revenue
2.2B in gross profit
-3.58B in R&D, people, and other costs (so employee is less than 3-4B)

Breaking out non-automotive expenses:
2.1B from cost of revenue
3.85B from non operating expense
5.95B total non automotive expense total (non-car spend)

On the income side:
2.1B other revenue (energy and such)
This offsets 2.1B of expense so pre-automotive net expense is: $3.85B (Not $8B)

2.2B automotive gross profit
4.3B total
$1.6B net loss for year, minus 0.6B in interest: 2.2B loss for 2017 when installing a full vehicle line (investment) that did not produce many vehicles. 2018 will have less line install cost and more vehicle revenue.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Dana Hull is now full on comical now. "Cash burn counter" with whimsical flamethrowers and Musk animation on Bloomberg:

Tesla Doesn’t Burn Fuel, It Burns Cash
So...:
bloomburger.PNG

Yet:
cashFlow.PNG

I didn't realize Capital Expenditures were considered cash burn...:confused::mad:o_O

(edit: maintenance would be a burnish thing, but, I think purchase and improvement would not...)

Last edited:
A friend of mine test drove today. His wife was in the car too. After the drive, while the husband was commenting how amazing it is, his wife said "We should have reserved one earlier".

Tesla doesn't need dealers and TV ads. Their cars are the best sales person.
I had a similar experience over the weekend. About two years ago, a friend and I were in the market for a new car. He went with a new Audi A6; I went with a used Model S. The used Model S came about after I realized I couldn’t wait two years to get a Model 3. I waited in line 31 March.:) Last week, my friend reached out and asked about the Model 3, so my wife and I decided to take him and his wife for a test drive. What made it even better was I brought my Model S along with my WIFE’S Model 3 for a back-to-back comparison. That Tesla grin showed itself several times during test drives, and my friend and his wife were thoroughly impressed with both cars. Which one did they prefer? They both went for the Model 3. Things like size and nimbleness, outward visibility, simplicity, and overall technology won out over my early P85. Although he preferred the acceleration of the my car, he noted the Model 3 is PLENTY quick. Unfortunately, now the wait begins for their Model 3. I feel a little bad I didn’t offer him my second Model 3 reservation.:cool: Oh, and we never looked at the Audi in his garage.:oops:

Single data point, my neighbor, a first day line stander non-owner, took delivery of M3 vin143xx this week. I examined it critically and panel alignment appears perfect.
I have about 8 friends who have Model 3.
Single data point, my neighbor, a first day line stander non-owner, took delivery of M3 vin143xx this week. I examined it critically and panel alignment appears perfect.
My VIN 23xx is quite good, my VIN 39xx is excellent. I have friends with 11,xxx and 19,xxx that are as close to perfection as any car.

So...:
View attachment 297818
Yet:
View attachment 297819

I didn't realize Capital Expenditures were considered cash burn...:confused::mad:o_O

(edit: maintenance would be a burnish thing, but, I think purchase and improvement would not...)

and then there is those who spread the BS: https://jalopnik.com/tesla-is-burning-money-so-fast-that-it-could-run-out-in-1825641742
Jalopnik basically repeated bloomberg article without any additional insight or data, sad.

this is a second notch for jalopnik. one more and they're getting off my list for sites i read.

Status
Not open for further replies.