Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfect example of financial news manipulation:

Terms of Service Violation

Dana Hull writes a positive article yesterday about Tesla for Bloomberg.

However, the big top-of-the-page graphic is a cartoonish Elon burning cash with a flamethrower.

Then as scroll down to read the article, a permanent $ ticker is blasted across the top that live ticks up saying this is how much cash Tesla is burning as “you read this article.”

Its just desperate. I imagine Bloomberg won’t last long as more and more people find alternative sources of information that add value to investors on a broader scale. There is a massive gap growing here and this type of chicanery just making it wider.

However, the big top-of-the-page graphic is a cartoonish Elon burning cash with a flamethrower.

Then as scroll down to read the article, a permanent $ ticker is blasted across the top that live ticks up saying this is how much cash Tesla is burning as “you read this article.”

Its just desperate. I imagine Bloomberg won’t last long as more and more people find alternative sources of information that add value to investors on a broader scale. There is a massive gap growing here and this type of chicanery just making it wider.
so who's going to be the whistleblower to report them to SEC?!

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
I've had my Model 3 for 2 months. I've given maybe 8 test drives to friends. At least one is ordering and another is trying to figure out how to pay for it. Some others already have an order in but have never seen or driven it in person. As these puppies spread across the country there will be another wave of interest.

Only 8, in two months!? We expect more from a TMCer, @haid!
I think that 2-3 rides per week should be mandatory.
I'm deadly serious.

In spite of the graphics and headlines, the article itself is a fairly balanced description of Tesla's current position and prospects.
So... probably an editor who is out to trash Tesla.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: neroden and sub
Definitely nice going.

Also, all of those cars are significantly cheaper than the Model 3 (especially versions currently shipping).

Model 3 is probably already the number 1 or 2 car* in the U.S. in terms of total revenue.:)

Camry is almost definitely #1 by revenue. Accord looks like #2, but by a very small margin. If actual deliveries were over 14,600 OR if ASP was over $55.3K, the Model 3 has already overtaken it.

In August, 16,200 deliveries should be enough to overtake Camry’s revenue. I’d be very surprised if it doesn’t happen.

Camry is almost definitely #1 by revenue. Accord looks like #2, but by a very small margin. If actual deliveries were over 14,600 OR if ASP was over $55.3K, the Model 3 has already overtaken it.

In August, 16,200 deliveries should be enough to overtake Camry’s revenue. I’d be very surprised if it doesn’t happen.

What are you using for Camry average transaction price?

@Esme Es Mejor that is for the top of the line trim Camry XSE V6 Automatic

Tesla delivered 14,250 Model 3s in July per insideEV's numbers (usu. conservative). Estimating ASP at $55K= $783,750,000

26,311 Camrys sold in July. Average Transaction Price would have to exceed $29.8K for it to be the top seller. In Jan. 2018 the average price for a mid-sized car was only $25,865 according to kbb.com. I seriously doubt the Camry would be $4K higher than average.

I think it is highly likely that the Model 3 is already the number one selling passenger car in the U.S. by revenue.

Average New-Car Prices Rise Nearly 4 Percent For January 2018 On Shifting Sales Mix, According To Kelley Blue Book

Only 8, in two months!? We expect more from a TMCer, @haid!
I think that 2-3 rides per week should be mandatory.
I'm deadly serious.

Depends on where you live and how many people you know. I've only given a few test drives in 2 years in large part because most of the people I've offered turn me down because they have already driven one. Two of the people who took up my offer were visiting from parts of the US where Teslas were rare.

This did remind me... one friend who is coming next month really wants a Model 3 and I suggested to her she get an appointment for a test drive while in Portland.

I think it is highly likely that the Model 3 is already the number one selling passenger car in the U.S. by revenue.

I think you’re correct, but I’d still like to see solid numbers if anyone knows where to find ASPs by model. My Google-fu appears to be insufficient on this one.

Either way, it’s clear that the Model 3 will be the highest-revenue passenger car in America for the entire 2nd half of 2018. That’s kind of amazing. And, like the iPhone, it will dominate profits even more than market share.

Either way, it’s clear that the Model 3 will be the highest-revenue passenger car in America for the entire 2nd half of 2018. That’s kind of amazing. And, like the iPhone, it will dominate profits even more than market share.
What is also amazing, in the opposite direction, is that the rest of the automotive industry has had full warning about this impending situation. Tesla pre-announced its plans years ago and frequently talked about plans for huge amounts of production numbers, "a factory of giga-proportions" as Elon put it in 2013... and they were simply not taken seriously. The rest of the industry has nothing competitive, even if there are a few BEVs here and there. The rest of the decade is going to be dominated by the Model 3 and the effect it is having on the fortunes of other manufacturers.

The news coverage on Tesla is about to get much more positive.

Too many of us blame the vastly negative news coverage on FUDsters, bad analysts, biased periodicals etc.

While they exacerbate the problem, they are not the core of the problem.

The negative press merely reflects the negative perception of Tesla in the general community.

We assume evil actors, because we simply don’t understand how the general perception can be honestly so negative. Our mistake here is forgetting that most people don’t have long term vision. The average investor sees a completely different situation than we see. They see a company losing money every quarter, in a highly competitive industry, with huge capex needs, with manufacturing problems and a volatile CEO.

These short-sighted individuals make up the vast bulk of the readership of both the general and financial press, as well as the reporters and editors.

What is going to change very soon is that the very positive Tesla situation is going to start to be perceived by the general audience. Profitable quarters are going to be a huge wake-up call to the short-sighted. So too will be big numbers of cars being purchased, resulting in large revenue and positive cash flow.

As the man-on-the-street starts to “get” the situation, the better press coverage will naturally follow. There will still be FUD, and some perceptions take longer to flip, but we will start seeing a lot more positive press than we have in the past to balance things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.