Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A article linked to by Andrew Karpathy on twitter of particular interest to investors in Nvidia (@AlMc):
Deep Learning Hardware Limbo - Tim Dettmers

Deep Learning Hardware Limbo

2017-12-21 by Tim Dettmers 61 Comments

With the release of the Titan V, we now entered deep learning hardware limbo. It is unclear if NVIDIA will be able to keep its spot as the main deep learning hardware vendor in 2018 and both AMD and Intel Nervana will have a shot at overtaking NVIDIA. So for consumers, I cannot recommend buying any hardware right now. The most prudent choice is to wait until the hardware limbo passes. This might take as little as 3 months or as long as 9 months. So why did we enter deep learning hardware limbo just now?

NVIDIA has decided that it needs to cash-in on its monopoly position before the competition emerges. It needs the cash in order to defend itself in the next 1-2 years. This is reflected by the choice to price the Titan V at $3000. With TensorCores the Titan V has a new shiny deep learning feature, but at the same time, its cost/performance ratio is abysmal. This makes the Titan V very unattractive. But because there is no alternative, people will need to eat what there are served – at least for now.

The competition is strong. We have AMD whose hardware is now already better than NVIDIA’s and plans to get itself together to produce some deep learning software which is actually usable. With this step, the cost/performance ratio will easily outmatch NVIDIA cards and AMD will become the new standard. NVIDIA’s cash advantage will help fight AMD off so that we might see very cheap NVIDIA cards in the future. Note that this will only happen if AMD is able to push forward with good software — if AMD falters, NVIDIA cards will remain expensive and AMD will have lost its opportunity to grab the throne.

There is also a new contender in town: The Neural Network Processor (NNP) form Intel Nervana. With several unique features, it packs quite a punch. These new features make me drool — they are exactly what I want as a CUDA developer. The NNP solves most problems I face when I want to write CUDA kernels which are optimized for deep learning. This chip is the first true deep learning chip.

In general, for a 1-chip vs 1-chip ranking, we will see Nervana > AMD > NVIDIA, just because NVIDIA has to service gaming/deep learning/high-performance computing at once, while AMD only needs to service gaming/deep learning, whereas Nervana can just concentrate on deep learning – a huge advantage. The more concentrated a designed architecture, the less junk is on the chip for deep learning.

However, the winner is not determined by pure performance, and not even by pure cost/performance. It is determined by cost/performance + community + deep learning frameworks.

Let’s have a closer look at the individual positions of Nervana, AMD, and NVIDIA to see where they stand.
<Snip>...<snip>

I’m confident that Tesla’s chip will be at least as good as intel’s chip and Tesla will be able to buy them for less. I wonder how long it will be before the Tesla chips are installed in alien dreadnaught robots.

Last edited:
I find myself wishing I had some dry powder to start the year off and accumulate more TSLA. I’m 100% confident we will see $400 this year, no TA, just WAG. Essentially it boils down to the fact that the Model 3 will capture a lot of mindshare as people see them in their neighborhoods, and people giving test rides to their friends. This mindshare will get additional retail investors involved into the stock and of course more Model 3 preorders.

All of this hinges on production ramp of the Model 3, but I’m confident they will get the issues ironed out in the coming months.

...It looks like we had a nice last for deliveries, Ok now for all to jump in tomorrow (or cover your short) before these numbers come out.

You may be on to something. Let's keep in mind that the promise is for delivery numbers to be revealed within three business days after the end of a quarter. That implies a deadline this time of Thursday evening January 4th, or perhaps as late as pre-market Friday. Release of the figures before the market opening tomorrow seems somewhat unlikely. So there should be some time to take advantage of what we have collectively determined here at TMC about deliveries.

Last edited:
@neroden said here:

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

"There is a possibility that Tesla did something which is not uncommon. Suppose during production there is a supplier bottleneck but you don't want to shut the line down. So you produce a number of cars where a particular part will have to be retrofitted. You put those to one side, and then when the bottleneck is over, you go back to producing complete cars."

isn't this basically the exact same thing that was being written about in short postings and articles that you guys here mocking just a week or two ago?

Reactions: Jeff Songster
@neroden said here:

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

"There is a possibility that Tesla did something which is not uncommon. Suppose during production there is a supplier bottleneck but you don't want to shut the line down. So you produce a number of cars where a particular part will have to be retrofitted. You put those to one side, and then when the bottleneck is over, you go back to producing complete cars."

isn't this basically the exact same thing that was being written about in short postings and articles that you guys here mocking just a week or two ago?

It's just as speculative and thus a guess as what the bears stated as facts. The issue with the bears doing that is that with intent to cause fear, uncertainty and doubt with out actual proof. And it really doesn't matter because as neo clearly pointed out, the issues seemed to have cleared which had opened up more deliveries and allows for continued growth up the S curve. Who cars is Tesla had to set aside a few hundred cars waiting for a part, if the goal of dialing in production is accomplished in party by doing so?

You bears like to conflate non issues into much more then is there based on made up facts. For example, you like to keep saying that people on this forum said Tesla was going to deliver x cars by the end of the year and it didn't happen so the company is worth 0, blah, blah, blah. When in fact, what really matters, is that Tesla continues to ramp production and shows GM of 20%+. Nothing else matters no matter how much you want it to. Shorts are betting the ramp will never happen and if it does, the cars will cost more to make then they can sell them for. Longs bet that Tesla will ramp in a reasonable amount of time and there will be good to great margins.

Time is short for shorts. Before you know, Elon will be rolling out the model Y for another billion dollar free loan from reservation holders. Then shortly after that, the Tesla pickup for another couple of billion in free money from reservation holders. And on and on and on until you guys throw in the towel and go long.

You may be on to something. Let's keep in mind that the promise is for delivery numbers to be revealed within three business days after the end of a quarter. That implies a deadline this time of Thursday evening January 4th, or perhaps as late as pre-market Friday. Release of the figures before the market opening tomorrow seems somewhat unlikely. So there should be some time to take advantage of what we have collectively determined here at TMC about deliveries.
Curt:
New here, but have observed for awhile.

Where did you get <business> days? The original announcement was <Going forward, Tesla will publish the number of new car deliveries within three days of quarter end.>

Exhibit 99.1

Haven't they consistently reported deliveries within three calendar days since April, 2015?

Curt:

Where did you get <business> days? The original announcement was <Going forward, Tesla will publish the number of new car deliveries within three days of quarter end.>

Exhibit 99.1

Haven't they consistently reported deliveries within three calendar days since April, 2015?

Thank you; I stand corrected. Welcome to TMC. :)

I love how 2018 markets are yet to open and we're nearing page 3. Here's hoping 2018 is the year the stock breaks free. I'll toss out a WAG that we have 201,800 M3s delivered in 2018, the Model Y is revealed on the 201st day of the year at 8 pm PST, and we see a stock price of 201.8% today's price by 12/31/2018*.

giphy_s.gif

* - WAGs may or may not be facetious. TBD as 12/31/2018 approaches. In any event, they are W but Achievable (what, you thought the A stood for something more onerous? Shame on you.).

Happy New Year everyone!

As to the chart Rob shared earlier today,

Below is a post I made two days ago in the Model 3 Forum in response to someone raising concern about the possibility that Tesla is on the edge of losing its window of opportunity. The reply is at once, 1) quite well consistent with the chart above, and, yet, 2) reveals that the narrative that the Model 3 has "competition coming soon" utterly evaporates in light of a few basic details,

"I agree with kbM3. It can get confusing because there are tons of articles attempting to frame things as if Tesla were about to be hit with a tidal wave of competition. Just not the case. In the S and X price range, yes, there will be some other long range EVs. They may take some sales from the S and X, but, mostly they will takes sales from ICE vehicles. In China, there may be some marked ramping up by 2020 or so. That said, In the Model 3's price range for the rest of the world, I'm only aware of perhaps 3 other vehicles by 2020, but none of them will have even 25% as much production as the Model 3... and I think demand in the price range will far outstrip (i.e. by several fold) the 500,000 or so Model 3s and perhaps 200,000 vehicles from everyone else (combined)."

Tesla Model 3 First Drive Reviews

Reactions: neroden and kbM3
Curt:

Exhibit 99.1

Q1-16 numbers came out on 4/4/16. I think this was the only instance of later than 72 hours after quarter end. On multiple occasions, the numbers have come out on Sunday. Because Tesla didn’t specific calendar days or business days, I always assume business days just to be safe, but generally it’s just 3 calendar days.

Tesla Delivers 14,820 Vehicles in Q1 2016; On Track for Full-Year Delivery Guidance (NASDAQ:TSLA)

Status
Not open for further replies.