Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen III - summary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HUD is something I also was thinking about. Get rid of all the clutter a dashboard brings. And why not have the centre display as a iPad air? Removable so car will only work when screen is mounted. Also good security thing, store some sort of password on iPad en car will only start when it's correct.
May get some people not liking it but I'm sure the majority will love it.

We have people complaining that the current Model S fob is to intrusive as it is. I doubt many people are willing to carry around a tablet as a key.

I was surprised to hear the late 2016 Gen III date as well. Since the Gen III price depends on the gigafactory producing batteries that target date sounds like a real challenge. Can they build the factory from breaking ground to full production in two years? I hope so. But the factory sites have not been finalized yet. Hoping they are announced this month!

tesla annual meeting gen 111 target $35,000, 200 mile range, market release late 2016. i thought it was 2017, is this early.
This is Tesla speak for early 2018. It's going to take at least 2 years from the time they break ground just to get the Gigafactory up and running. To expect anything before the end of 2017 is typical Elon Musk over ambition.

I hope that date is accurate, since my trusty Prius will have about 400000 mi by then, and I don't know how much longer it would last. (Oh, well, Plan B is a Volt...)

That said, the concept car is supposed to be revealed at the Detroit auto show in January 2015 -- I am hard-pressed to imagine that it can make it from concept car to prototype to getting all its certifications to being in at least limited production and shipping by December 2016. The Model X couldn't hit that timeline, and it shares a common platform with the Model S. Gen III is a different platform, which is just going to add to the complexity.

I hope that date is accurate, since my trusty Prius will have about 400000 mi by then, and I don't know how much longer it would last. (Oh, well, Plan B is a Volt...)

That said, the concept car is supposed to be revealed at the Detroit auto show in January 2015 -- I am hard-pressed to imagine that it can make it from concept car to prototype to getting all its certifications to being in at least limited production and shipping by December 2016. The Model X couldn't hit that timeline, and it shares a common platform with the Model S. Gen III is a different platform, which is just going to add to the complexity.

Tesla has back pedaled on the Detroit auto show unveiling so I would expect a concept car late next year.

Who said the Gigafactory has to be in FULL production by December 2016? I mean - doesn't it make sense that the factory will be built in a manner that starts smaller and works out any kinks before expecting to put out 35GWhr/year?

Who said the Gigafactory has to be in FULL production by December 2016? I mean - doesn't it make sense that the factory will be built in a manner that starts smaller and works out any kinks before expecting to put out 35GWhr/year?

Yep. Gigafactory could start off with small production by end of 2016 and scale as they increase Gen3 production into 2018.

Tesla has back pedaled on the Detroit auto show unveiling so I would expect a concept car late next year.
I think there is a difference between back pedaling and not willing to commit.

In my interpretation Tesla is working with an internal target to have the Gen3 prototype ready by Q1 2015 - Detorit and Geneva are in that time frame. Hans let it slip, and they were quick to say there is no official date as they do not want to publicly commit to a anything that specific just yet. But the company's chief designer is probably one of those 5 people in the know, in fact on a day to day basis he may even be more up to date then Elon, who is juggling 2 companies and probably gets weekly/monthly reports.

Having said that, Elon's latest comments last week at the shareholder meeting, still talking about a late 2016 production for Gen3, tell me they gotta have the first prototype ready a year from now at the latest. In fact probably earlier than that. So Detroit or Geneva next year is certainly a possibility.

the best and most effect way to build said giga factory is with tilt up walls. the reason behind this is most of the walls can be pre-made and trucked in. the whole building of this should be about 6 months IF they are running day and night. but with that said it put pressure on the equipment builder to speed up there production as well. I suspect that when its finished it will be sooner rather than later. hell from what i have heard in the construction business they give time bonuses for getting it done faster. keep in mind that an inspector has to make sure its done correctly. I believe they can get the solar panels, wind farm and construction done all at the same time. its just how many people you want to throw at it.

the best and most effect way to build said giga factory is with tilt up walls. the reason behind this is most of the walls can be pre-made and trucked in. the whole building of this should be about 6 months IF they are running day and night. but with that said it put pressure on the equipment builder to speed up there production as well. I suspect that when its finished it will be sooner rather than later. hell from what i have heard in the construction business they give time bonuses for getting it done faster. keep in mind that an inspector has to make sure its done correctly. I believe they can get the solar panels, wind farm and construction done all at the same time. its just how many people you want to throw at it.

The shell of the building is easy. It's the equipment inside that takes time and money. Hopefully they can parallelize the process, having equipment manufactured offsite while the building is under construction, then trucking (or railroading) the equipment in when it's ready. The timing of this kind of thing is a challenge too. You don't want to spend money on equipment too soon and have that capital laying around not generating a return. Or, for those of us who own TSLA, WE don't want to have OUR capital laying around!

On the timing of Gen 3:

Model S prototype unveiling was Q1 2009, first deliveries Q4 2012, call it 3.5 years.

Model X prototype unveiling was Q1 2012, first deliveries Q1 2015? A little less than 3 years, and Model X was "easy" because it's based on the Model S architecture.

Gen 3 prototype unveiling Q1 2015? 3 years puts us in 2018. Sure, Tesla learns a lot from each project and hopefully can get faster. But they also need time for the battery cost to come down so that they can hit total vehicle cost target.

We might see development mules on the road in 2016 but I really don't expect customer deliveries before 2017.