Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen III - summary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(a)I actually suspect (partly because Tesla is starting from scratch) that for the volume of vehicles that Tesla is producing (even when they start putting out Gen III) that touchscreens are probably cheaper overall than buttons. (b) I don't ever expect a Tesla without the large central screen. Unless that concept is banned by law for some reason.
(a) Agree.
(b) Agree except for the "large" part, unless you consider ~11 in. "large".

If the standard Model E is targeted toward the BMW 3-series, I hope the P+ version competes with the M3 :cool:

Given that the battery pack of the current generation (Model S and X) is too big for a coupe, I strongly suspect that the GenIII family will have an M3 competitor. It may not be the initial sedan but the Tesla Roadster fans need an option and if it is cheaper than the Roadster I will rejoice.

(a) Agree.
(b) Agree except for the "large" part, unless you consider ~11 in. "large".

I don't know. My Surface Pro seems like it would feel small as a dash replacement in pretty much any car. I expect 14" is about as small as one could go without having the dash overwhelm the display. So my large is >13.5" for discussion purposes.

I could see drastic simplifications of the drivers display. But LCD full color non-touch displays are getting pretty cheap.

+1
I speculate Model E will start at $36,900 and will need an additional 20% in options to get it where most drivers find acceptable. After production begins pricing will increase 5% almost immediately.

A guess at Avg Sale $46K, and nearly $70K at the top end

Double edged sword, as with the model s:
Pre-order to lock in the low starting price and early delivery but risk build quality and have fewer options choices.

This all sounds pretty likely with the exception of the last comment on build quality and possibly options. I realize that the early numbers of the Model S had some issues. I would imagine in three or more years after ramping up both Model S and Model X production, the Model E will hit the ground running with negligible quality concerns. I, for one, am waiting for the Model E and will have no problem placing a pre-order for one.

As far as options go, I'm sure they will add some to the Model E as the product matures and technology develops. Again, I don't think it will be the same situation as the Model S where some basic features were not initially available. We'll see.

Really?

QUOTE]

Yes, really. Everyone is assuming the $7,500 tax credit but that won't last very long. The 2nd quarter after Tesla sells it's 200,000th car the credit is reduced and by the end of 4th quarter following the 200,000th car it will be gone.
The majority of Gen3 buys will end up paying over $40k. Not that big of deal but some will have long memories. I much prefer hearing Elon say that are targeting the price of Gen3 to be half the Model S. Gives them more leeway.

I thought I had read Ford had rights to the "E" name from the vans, although I thought that was odd since if that were the case I would have expected Mercedes to ask them not to use the "S" moniker also (as an investor/partner or not)

Elon is in London UK today. This is a comment he made to one of our daily newspapers:-

"Gen3", would cost less than £35,000 and would probably arrive within three years.

In the UK we talk of prices including VAT (Sales Tax) of 20%. Therefore price before tax in US terms would be about $45000 including shipping etc. Seems a lot more than the $35,000

Musk has specifically stated 35k usd without tax credits. My guess is the EU version might be more expensive due to it being cheaper for Tesla and easier to make US deliveries. I mean I have seen many things that use exact same pricing despite the currency being higher.

So if Gen III is Model E, does that make Gen IV Model C?

It just means Tesla can produce a S E X Y fleet of cars. Now that all the letters are trademarked.

Model S = Gen 2 Sedan
Model E = Gen 3 Sedan
Model X = Gen 2 Crossover
Model Y = Gen 3 Crossover

Model C = ?
Model A = ?
Model R = Roadster

So the real question is, what is the Model A*? a limo?

*Note: I made it up but it fits so well.

Musk said in a interview recently that they had some push back from Ford on the Model E trademark. Once Tesla registered Model Y he said Ford got back to them and said something like "changed your mind, going with Model Y?" and Musk laughed saying these big companies have no sense of humor, they didn't get the joke of having trademarks for "S E X Y".

It didn't sound like Musk was actually going to use Model Y but secured it for comedy purposes.

Musk has specifically stated 35k usd without tax credits. My guess is the EU version might be more expensive due to it being cheaper for Tesla and easier to make US deliveries. I mean I have seen many things that use exact same pricing despite the currency being higher.

Model S = Gen 2 Sedan
Model E = Gen 3 Sedan
Model X = Gen 2 Crossover
Model Y = Gen 3 Crossover

Model C = ?
Model A = ?
Model R = Roadster

So the real question is, what is the Model A*? a limo?

*Note: I made it up but it fits so well.

I am hoping Model C is a Convertible based on Gen 3 :biggrin:

Musk said in a interview recently that they had some push back from Ford on the Model E trademark. Once Tesla registered Model Y he said Ford got back to them and said something like "changed your mind, going with Model Y?" and Musk laughed saying these big companies have no sense of humor, they didn't get the joke of having trademarks for "S E X Y".

It didn't sound like Musk was actually going to use Model Y but secured it for comedy purposes.

When you trademark names it is use it or lose it.

Also, some variant of the Ford Model T is referred to as Model E by enthusiast/collectors.

based on this article: Nieuwe Tesla 'Model E' goedkoper - Autovisie | Het laatste nieuws over auto's op Autovisie.nl van De Telegraaf [Tesla]

Can someone translate that (better than Google)? I'd like to know if Model E is 100% confirmed.
The Dutch article stated that the Model E was not confirmed ("Model E, guess it is going to be called this"). It was however talking about both a sedan and a crossover like the S & X for the GEN3. Not sure how they would know this.