Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Charging at 240Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I'm in the market for a Model 3 SR+. I currently have a 240 volt 6-20P plug in my garage with a 25 amp breaker. I'll need an extension cord / adapter that will connect the 6-20R to what? I am assuming Tesla gives you a 14-50 plug to charge at home? In which cast I would need a 6-20R to 14-50P adapter cord? Something like this......
upload_2020-6-2_13-45-17.png
upload_2020-6-2_13-45-31.png

Your best method is a hardwired Wall Connector.

If not, the use the UMC that comes with the car and buy the 6-20 pigtail for $35:

Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

UMC pigtails have a resistor in them that tells the circuit board how many amps to ask for.

If you use a 14-50 pigtail into a 6-20 outlet, it will trip the breaker since it will ask for 40 amps (80% x 50 amps). The 6-20 pigtail will ask for 16 amps.

Reactions: mrau
Yeah, don't complicate that trying to adapt to some other kind of plug. Just get Tesla's 6-20 adapter. And no, the cars don't come with a 14-50 adapter anymore for this kind of reason. Every person's garage setup and electrical panel considerations are different as far as what size circuit they may need to use, so trying to force everyone into the same size box wasn't really helpful. Let people buy whichever type of adapter they need.

You do not need an extension cord. All you need is this 6-20 plug Gen 2 NEMA Adapters . The rest, including the 20' extension cord comes with the Tesla, it is called the "Universal Mobile Connector".

So, I'm in the market for a Model 3 SR+. I currently have a 240 volt 6-20P plug in my garage with a 25 amp breaker.

Should be a 20A breaker. Why is it 25?

In which cast I would need a 6-20R to 14-50P adapter cord? Something like this......

You never expand a smaller plug into a larger one. At least not with a device like Tesla which will use all the available power.

If the original builder ran #10 wire to the outlet, that could explain the 25a breaker. If there is #12 wire somebody did a no-no and the breaker needs to be swapped for a 20a for safety.

If it is #10, I'd swap the receptacle for a 10-30 and the breaker for a 30a. Now you can charge at 24 amps with the 10-30 UMC pigtail.

14-50 adapters no longer come with it. Which is fine, Tesla sells cheap enough adapters that serve a good purpose. The adapters tell the charger/car the maximum safe current (which is why you wouldn't want to adapt 6-20 to 14-50 in this case especially).

Not necessarily. I don't know about this type of circuit specifically, but one often does have multiple 15A plugs on a 20A breaker for example. Kitchens and some garages are commonly set up like this, which is entirely allowable in North America to my understanding.

Can you do some research and read the manual that comes with the UMC? It's really not that difficult, especially if you're contemplating buying a 35K-70K car. You could even ask a Tesla sales rep instead of making wild assumptions,

They are doing research it seems. They asked about 14-50 (which it did used to come with, clearly they've looked this up before). And now they're here asking about their frankly uncommon setup, which seems fair to me and much better than going to a sales rep in person during a pandemic to ask about this (are they even open right now?).

Besides, I'm not sure how the manual helps here aside from pointing out it may or may not come with a 14-50 adapter.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Not necessarily. I don't know about this type of circuit specifically, but one often does have multiple 15A plugs on a 20A breaker for example. Kitchens and some garages are commonly set up like this, which is entirely allowable in North America to my understanding.

I suppose anything is possible, but I thought that outlets like 6-20 were designed to be more dedicated. You run a single welder or vacum, for example, not a large assortment of low-amperage devices, like in a bedroom. You may have 2 outlets on a circuit (opposite walls, for instance), but you don't intend on simultaneous use.

I don't think that it presents any danger to charging a Tesla, as the wire is probably sized for 25 amps.

The outlet is a single use, there are no other devices on it. It was run with 25 amps in mind, the plug was specific for my compressor. I could change the plug on the compressor to match something else if needed. Thanks all for your supportive information. Smatthew you didn't help at all.

Reactions: Runt8
I thought you set the current in the mobile app? Good to know its done by the plug. Thanks
The mobile app will let you set the battery charging limit, like how full. But it does not have a place to set the amps.
the adapters on the cable are coded to announce to the car the appropriate safe maximum amps allowed for that plug type. But also on the charging screen in the car, then you can lower the amps down some from that maximum if you want to.

I'm not believing for a second that Tesla stopped including the 14-50 with the car because everyone had different setups at home. It was simply a cost savings. I have a non-Tesla charging station at home, so I needed one.
Most importantly, as far as I know almost every public non-Tesla charger is 14-50. You will want a 14-50 adapter to keep in the car just in case you need it someday.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Anyone can answer this

Model 3 charger is 32a
model s charger is 40a

Can I charge the model 3(48A max) with model s charger?

I did the one listed below, I noticed the cable was getting hot.
Ant the charger TESLA LED, T was red.
I dont understand why this happens I limit it to 28A.
Can I charge the model S (48A max) with model 3 charger. I set it at 28A max in the model S.

Anyone may have an answer.

Right now I am swapping them base on cars.

Model S charger should be able to handle both at say 45A( 1 car car at a time) with 60 breaker.

Can I charge the model 3(48A max) with model s charger?

Yes.

The charger is inside of the car. What you are calling a "charger" is actually just a extension cord with a few on/off switches and communication chips. It is always safe to plug any Tesla plug installed by a proper electrician into any Tesla car.

A good rule of thumb is that consumer plugs and sockets are designed such that they are idiot proof. Just like your regular wall socket. Adapters and extension cords can be dangerous to some because they bypass these safeguards.

Reactions: SammichLover
I'm not believing for a second that Tesla stopped including the 14-50 with the car because everyone had different setups at home. It was simply a cost savings. I have a non-Tesla charging station at home, so I needed one.
Most importantly, as far as I know almost every public non-Tesla charger is 14-50. You will want a 14-50 adapter to keep in the car just in case you need it someday.
Public non-Tesla chargers in the US generally use J1772 connectors. NEMA 14-50 outlets are common at RV parks.

Yes.

The charger is inside of the car. What you are calling a "charger" is actually just a extension cord with a few on/off switches and communication chips. It is always safe to plug any Tesla plug installed by a proper electrician into any Tesla car.

A good rule of thumb is that consumer plugs and sockets are designed such that they are idiot proof. Just like your regular wall socket. Adapters and extension cords can be dangerous to some because they bypass these safeguards.
Yes I know the charger is in the car. It is just the way we call it.
Thanks

Yes.

last night I charge my new used model S
With model 3 mobile unit.

set at 28amps

something was not right. It should work
Anyway I am monitoring it.

will use model S mobile unit to
Charge model 3
And S separately.

I will set both at 32a breaker is 40 now.

swapping breaker to 60.
Wire is awg 6.