Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Future proof used M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting very serious about buying used LR RWD, and I want one that is (as far as we know) future proof for FSD, sentry mode, etc. It looks like if it has HW 2.5, it is definitely updardeable. But what about the cameras? Wasn’t there a transition to the color cameras at some point? Any idea what build date(s) or minimum VIN numbers I should stick with if I am concerned about those?

Thanks!

There have been no changes to the cameras. Early VIN numbers had higher numbers of general QC defects. But anything around mid 2018 or later should be fine. I would personally avoid the 2017 or very early 2018 models because they were just ramping up then. There were some very minor changes to the seat cushions in early 2018.

There have been no changes to the cameras. Early VIN numbers had higher numbers of general QC defects. But anything around mid 2018 or later should be fine. I would personally avoid the 2017 or very early 2018 models because they were just ramping up then. There were some very minor changes to the seat cushions in early 2018.

Any idea what that corresponds to in serial number? Or is that too difficult to tell with how they apparently aren’t sequential?

I would focus more on the production date rather than VIN number. I don’t recall exactly when they changed the seats though. Sometime between March and June of 2018 I recall.

Yeah, that makes more sense but the reason I ask is that the tools I’ve been using (EV CPO and Tesla’s site) don’t give consistent info on production date. I think EV CPO gives delivery date sometimes, and Tesla’s pics usually include a pic of the door sill sticker, but those pics of the actual vehicle seem somewhat rare...