Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full self driving worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it really worth 7k? I was thinking to buy it for navigation on autopilot, summons and Auto lane change but that’s all we will get for 7k for now. Your basically betting that Elon will somehow sweet talk individual state’s to allow it when there’s so much risk and safety issues. We might not ever see full autonomous I don’t see how government will allow this? One death from this and it will scrap it entirely. I think this kind of tech is about 10-20 years away. Thoughts?

Short answer: No. But if money is no object...

Long answer: The vision is admirable and the current implementation is decent enough in most cases but it is in no way a substitute for being a fully alert driver, this only covers the Autopilot side (Autosteer, TACC, Assisted lane changes both automatic and driver initiated)

Navigate on Autopilot can vary from Astounding to Unusable depending on how updated the mapping, as well as lane markings in your corner of the world are.

“Dumb” Summon is useful on occasions like tight spaces and while certainly not a “must have” if it were available ala carte it’s worth considering.

“Smart” Summon is a neat (party) trick when it works and an embarrassment when it doesn’t. Use at your own risk

Autopark, Underdeveloped and not ready for prime time as it is highly inconsistent in its real world performance.

Future features, upgradability....Second to none in innovation but caveats do exist and timeframes promised vs timeframes delivered are sobering. Go into it with both eyes open and temper your expectations if you decide you are okay with parting with $7,000 to upgrade now.

Another consideration... if you like to trade vehicles often (every couple of years) like I do, you end up paying for FSD over and over again.

I have it now and like it. I also wanted to trade for a new X this year, but don’t want to pay for FSD again so I’ll wait. I’ll probably hold on to this car until the warranty is up. Ideally they should let you roll over your FSD subscription to a new car.

Imho a waste of money. I can park much fast than autopark, summon is basically neutered to a level where you have to stand right next to the car anyway (ymmv based on the jurisdiction you live in). All you really get is that you don't have to signal lane changes, FSD will do that for you and initiate the lane change. Alas, that's not reliable either, so during my 2-week trial I tried it a few times and decided that it's just not worth it.
I can help you with the money though if you have too much :D.

Autoplilot is a different story though, but since it's standard now there is not much point discussing its value.

I agonized over this. I bought Enhanced Autopilot when I got the car, but there was no FSD available at the time. They they brought it back, but the price was higher than my EA. Then thry dropped the price to reflect the upgrade. I wasn't fast enough to buy and they then raised the price. Then they raised it again and I felt like an idiot and had reverse buyer's remorse. Eventually I bought it to ease my anxiety (I realize this all sounds ridiculous. Fool and his money and all that).

Is it worth it? Probably not. Autopilot is awesome and makes long drives on the highway way better. I occassionaly use Summon and it's useful. Advanced Summon doesn't work very often, so I don't use it t all. Buit the FSD visualation preview is cool and stopping at traffic lights would be a great safety feature. So there is hope.

Bottom line for me is that I don't think my Model 3 (bought in late 2018) will be able to self drive. I do think cars build in 2025 or so have a decent chance, but I think this requires future upgrades to cameras, radars and computers that don't exist ont he current model. I love Elon Musk for what he has built, but he's also overly optimistic. "Later this year" means next year at best. Likely a few years later. I think he really does believe, but then gets thrown off by the reality of regulation, manufacturing and technology.

Autopilot is all you need. Eventually FSD may have some cool feautures, but if I could get my $5000 upgrade fee back, I probably would.

Not worth $7k to me.
SmartSummon cant be trusted. (I've literally watched it not exit a parking space far enough before turning right and up/onto the large curb. For zero reason. There was plenty of room front/back/other side of car). Based on that one experience? I cant trust it. Not worth the risk to my 21" Arachnid rims getting curb rash. My opinion? Needs another pair of cameras on rear quarter panels far back, but facing forward and downward.

Navigate on autopilot? Pretty good, but basic autopilot is 99% of that functionality when Im on a road trip, and basic autopilot is free.

Auto Park is not consistently good. I had to stop it last week as it was literally about to back up either onto the curb (I always use end spots) or scrape my wheel against the curb. Or Both.

Even autopilot itself has hit the brakes hard when I was doing 65mph and was about to go under a overpass and the shadows underneath the overpass fooled the autopilot.

If anyone thinks that FSD= the car literally taking you from your home driveway to your job, dropping you off, parking itself, etc? By end of this year? You are fooling yourself.

Posted this in another thread, but I think it can be helpful for people on the fence:

It talks about FSD and where it's going and they interview someone who worked on the AP team at Tesla. He had some interesting thoughts.

By the time the car really can self drive the feature will be available on other makes and its value will be a lot lower than 7k. Best to wait until it arrives in 5+ years and then think about it.