Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the heads up, the update is indeed available and now downloading (though seemingly stuck at 0B/s around the halfway point at the moment) . It's an honor to have been deemed worthy of a ping about this :)

Coincidentally although I haven't downloaded the update to my car yet, I got to experience a few hours of it as a passenger in a family member's car today, thanks to the 1 month trial Elon prompted. Most issues were simply user error (she kept nearly rear-ending people when forgetting that it wouldn't stop if her foot was on the accelerator, no matter how much I reminded her 🙄).

It did seem to really like hugging the left edge of the lane uncomfortably close on curves, even if there was a barrier less than a foot away, but otherwise it behaved well and impressed everyone!

Edit to note: it occurrs to me the hugging-the-left-edge behavior was on a highway, so it may be part of the legacy 11.x stack and not indicative of end-to-end V12 at all. The in-town behavior was flawless in multiple cities and towns tested today, (aside from aforementioned user error)!

Last edited:
The order is interesting. Looks like Julien is #1
Lol yeah I guess I may have been the lowest priority updater (or perhaps the most important one 😎). Also I think the forum software may have automatically decided the message was potentially spam, as I didn't seem to get an actual notification for it like I would expect to when specifically pinged.

By the way, it seems clear now that the stop sign behavior is forced (by law) to stop in a way humans do not. In the same way as we do not obey speed limits.
So I propose (and predict we'll see) a menu entry under Autopilot, down there with the speed limit offsets, to 'Perform Only Visibility Stop at Stop Sign'. So we don't have to stop at the sign itself, but the first place you can actually see so as not to do the stop-and creep thing.
I do not believe the full stop, before the sign, is forced by law. Certainly not by federal law and I don't believe by most state laws if any.

It's apparently been "forced" by the insistence of NHTSA, but I don't think any of us has the real Inside story here.

I see you joined the form last year. I think it was in 2021 or 2022 that Tesla was forced to address the "California rolling stop" behavior. And I think their first attempt to do so was indeed a menu selection option. But then they were forced to remove that, and eventually to implement as part of a "recall", the very tedious and annoying stop-creep-stop-go sequence.

BTW for whatever reason I see the best stop sign behavior at residential four-way stops in v12. These are far better than they were before, and thank goodness because the four-way stop was definitely the wrong place to have that super- hesitant behavior that confuses everyone.

I always considered a stop sign to be an indicator that a safe stop is required at the intersection, i.e. at a marked stop line or crosswalk if one exists or at the road edge where line would be expected to be placed, if there is no painted line. But I don't believe that the placement of the stop sign itself is necessarily an indicator of the exact position of a virtual stop line. Many intersections have the sign placed quite a bit farther back, because of curvature of the shoulder or curb area, or just where the road crew decided to plant it.

Having said that, most everyone knows that an actual full stop, at whatever appropriate position, is a somewhat rare or overdone event when there's clearly no traffic and you have good visibility. OTOH it's also true that people get too accustomed to rolling through stop signs, and this can be a hazard as well as an opportunity for a ticket.

(To me, the special irony of this situation with Tesla is that the very things that make a rolling stop potentially hazardous with human drivers, namely distraction and overconfidence at a familiar and normally empty intersection, are the very things that the multi-camera FSD vehicle is very well equipped to handle. It really is superhuman regarding constant attention and multiple viewpoints.)

In any case, I don't think it would be so bad to enforce a full stop even when there's no traffic - it just shouldn't be required to have a full "NHTSA stop" with the front bumper at or behind the actual stop sign, followed by a further slow creep and/or stop. FSD should be trained to stop at a place that affords good visibility, without encroaching on the natural road edge. Like good human drivers do, or possibly slightly more cautious to build confidence and satisfy doubters.

I think everyone including Tesla realizes that the present behavior is unnatural, annoying to everyone, actually harder to implement, and likely less safe overall than a natural chauffeur-like behavior.

Last edited:
Most issues were simply user error (she kept nearly rear-ending people when forgetting that it wouldn't stop if her foot was on the accelerator, no matter how much I reminded her 🙄).
This is probably a typical new-user confusion. I would suggest to Tesla, to follow up the free trial email with some friendly FSD tips emails, not too complicated but with things like this to know and watch out for.
  • Touching the brake or wrenching the steering completely ends FSD.
  • Pressing the accelerator prevents it from stopping by itself - but may be helpful if the way is clear and the car is too hesitant.
  • You can suggest lane changes by fully activating the turn signal.
etc.

Keep in touch with the users in a friendly way, direct them to short videos and so on. And explain to them that it's fine to disengage if they're nervous, it actually helps Tesla and those occasions will become less frequent as they get used to it.

Here on TMC, maybe we need a special highlighted thread for people with new user questions. Not especially the existing threads that are full of jaded been-there-done-that experts who are likely to laugh or tell them what did you expect, or us smart boys here know it's a hopeless scam. (I guess this would need slightly heavier moderation to encourage helpfulness over bitterness). Just a thought.

IMG_1265.jpeg

12.3.3 still self harms confirmed.

Try checking in your next 24hrs. I’m not eager to go from .3.2.1 to .3.3 because the curbing issue is still not resolved. Is there a specific reason you want to jump from .3? The only real benefit is for USS deprived vehicles.
Wonder how many will be impressed by the free month of curbing to drop $12k on FSDSj

Wonder how many will be impressed by the free month of curbing to drop $12k on FSDSj
There’s no way in hell. It’s not even you who owns the license. I’d be more tempted if it was granted to you as a person and whatever vehicle you got into with your profile casually activated it like in a rental or other persons car.

Tie the keycards like your phone to your Tesla profile and the server can check for revocation or start the session with the server so there can only be one FSD session tied to the owner of the license.

THEN I’d understand the upfront cost.

Tied to the car? NO WAY. Adds 0 value and even Tesla themselves don’t value it on trade-in.

Tesla needs to drop the monthly cost on this if they want widespread adoption. They lowered the upfront cost to $12k but kept the monthly at $200/month.

They should change the upfront cost to be tied to the person and monthly to $125/month.

Last edited:
Try checking in your next 24hrs. I’m not eager to go from .3.2.1 to .3.3 because the curbing issue is still not resolved. Is there a specific reason you want to jump from .3? The only real benefit is for USS deprived vehicles.
Envy, jealousy, insecurity, FOMO plus something to bitch and 😭about. 🤣 Really more interested in moving to 24 branch and picking up some new features. However if given a choice to not update and be one of the first to get 12.4 I'd jump on that in a ❤️ beat.🤔

There’s no way in hell. It’s not even you who owns the license. I’d be more tempted if it was granted to you as a person and whatever vehicle you got into with your profile casually activated it like in a rental or other persons car.

THEN I’d understand the upfront cost.

Tied to the car? NO WAY. Adds 0 value and even Tesla themselves don’t value it on trade-in.
Yea, I always thought it should be tied to the user and follow along with them instead of being tied to the vehicle.

Even with how good it is now, I won’t spend $12k on it when I trade up my car. I’ve already spent $10k and ended up holding a bag of dicks for 2.5 years.

Yea, I always thought it should be tied to the user and follow along with them instead of being tied to the vehicle.

Even with how good it is now, I won’t spend $12k on it when I trade up my car. I’ve already spent $10k and ended up holding a bag of dicks for 2.5 years.
Looks like all you need to do now is plan to buy in the last month of the quarter and FSD will follow. ;) 🤣