Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s what I figured, if it says 2024.14.7 is ready to download for my car I don’t think it would offer me something different later
I have answered all of your questions in great detail without any attempts at humor, with is very hard for me.
Go back and read my long post about 5 to 10 pages ago. All the answers are in there for you and any other newer testers.
I am not going to take the time to find it. If you really want to know the answers to the questions you are asking, you will find it yourself.
On second thought, you will probably miss it. Here it is:

I want to be first this time, I haven’t got 14.6 yet but my car can’t check for updates till morning
I understand you gotta go fast, but the last thing I would be doing is checking for updates right now. V12.4 hasn't been released to any public cars that i am aware of. The discussion about if checking for an update has any effect or not has gone back and forth for years. My take is you are chosen in a group in order for every release of V12. Checking for an update may, and I stress may, speed up an update. It only speeds it up when you are already in the que for that release and you are basically waking ⏰️ the car up and it's checking if you have been selected.

Prior to V12, many of us OG testers in the beginning, would get the software updates within a couple of days of employees and the influencers and shills.
Then something changed, and sometimes the timing, or shuffle of the order changed and I don't know why.

Now with V12, it appears to have gone back to the original order like with V10.2 and early testers are always getting it faster. I have been in the 2 days after Chuck, @DirtyT3sla (Chris) , and Omar with every release. Chuck Cook and Dirty Tesla (Chris) are the good guys, as in Chuck's Unprotected Left Turn, Chris has a great youtube channel also. Omar is wholemars catalog... no comment on him. Dirty Tesla is a Tmc member who lingers around from time to time. I have had a few good dm's with him. Really nice guy. If you see this Chris, make a quick comment in this thread.

Tldr: Don't check for updates when you don't want was is being offered. Tesla decides who gets what. You are early, in the middle, or late. When you see what you want being just released in small numbers on teslafi, go burn 🔥 a check. Reason to not check, is you always have it available when the time comes and you have a shot to potentially start an update faster.

Before you ask, should I not install what's being offered? I would say take whatever they give you because if you don't, you may wait longer for the next que.

Last edited:
So if we score us some ASS in 12.4.x who will be the first to post an embarrassing act? I'm sure the newbies will be quick to try it at Walmart on a Saturday afternoon. I still remember showing SS to a friend in a busy parking lot and how it got stuck blocking traffic in both directions. I'm running across the parking lot with my head DOWN as people blow their horns at my car.

Of course that ASS will be some fine stuff but I'm hesitant to spank it in public off the bat. I'll play with that ASS in a lot without voyeurs all around.
So I can say that @FSDtester#1 will be the first to have some embarrassing ASS events. ( don’t ask me how I know)

I have answered all of your questions in great detail without any attempts at humor, with is very hard for me.
Go back and read my long post about 5 to 10 pages ago. All the answers are in there for you and any other newer testers.
I am not going to take the time to find it. If you really want to know the answers to the questions you are asking, you will find it yourself.
On second thought, you will probably miss it. Here it is:
Yes I remember

That’s what I figured, if it says 2024.14.7 is ready to download for my car I don’t think it would offer me something different later
It would if Tesla pulled that version, and then released a different one. (Like people have had 2024.14.6 offered to them, but was pulled before they installed it. They will likely get 2024.14.7, or maybe 2024.14.8 as their next update.)

This is definitely the final test! Once we have 12.4 we won't need 12.5 to know the trajectory. But I think we know how this is going to go.

It's all a little sad. End-to-end was somehow not the answer! Who could have predicted this?
Not sure how you can make this statement? In my view and use, from V12 forward progress has continued a Lot more than any version of 10 or 11.

This is definitely the final test! Once we have 12.4 we won't need 12.5 to know the trajectory. But I think we know how this is going to go.

It's all a little sad. End-to-end was somehow not the answer! Who could have predicted this?
As much as I go out of my way never to disagree with you, I think this would be one of your worst predictions.

I can go back in this thread where you said V12 was much better in many scenarios.

Did you think V11 was going to make the progress V12 did? I think you are trolling us, or at least hope you are.

If end to end isn't the answer, then Lidar, Radar, HD Maps, Vision, Enhanced GPS, and Safety drivers, here we go!

I am bookmarking this one for future use, to print it and mail it to you so you can eat it.

from V12 forward progress has continued a Lot more than any version of 10 or 11.

Did you think V11 was going to make the progress V12 did?
Of course v12 was better. I always thought it would be an incremental improvement - otherwise they would not do it.

I mean the answer to something beyond a decent L2 system.

To be clear, maybe there is hope for a decent L2 system still. Not there yet. But only a few things have to be better.

People have talked about rapid progress and the march of 9s with end to end. That would be “the answer.” One person even said that the reason for the 8/8 date was because Elon had seen the massive progress on 12.4 and 12.5!!! (I know, unbelievable…but I have it bookmarked.)

I don’t believe this will happen. Bookmark it. We’ll have a few incremental improvements every few months with end to end, similar to code. I will be insanely happy if they figure out how to make the car stop and go (with deprecated HW3) perhaps even making it configurable according to user preferences.

Not sure how you can make this statement? In my view and use, from V12 forward progress has continued a Lot more than any version of 10 or 11.
Yes, agreed. The question is (and always has been) what the trajectory will be. It was clear as soon as they started talking about doing it that it was going to be better than the v10/v11 baselines - otherwise they wouldn’t bother.

Many of the difficulties that people predicted with e2e have transpired.
Will the limitations on progress transpire?

Last edited:
Damn Ive been having some complex great urban drives the last few days. I swear it seems I've gotten at least some Delta update action improving 12.3.9. Or maybe Elon slipped me some 12.4 love'n in a shadow mode. 🫣 🤣 🤣 Today I even had it make 2 Yellow lights that in the past 12.3.x would have been a hard braking/stop event. Yesterday I went 7 miles up Peachtree St/Rd from Midtown to Buckhead and back in heavy traffic and not a single disengagement. My only disengagement in the last few days was today on GA Tech campus on a moderate traffic street it tried to get in the Right turn lane needed to go straight. But it is now killing it in the city and seems to have gotten so much better. In fact it is so good now I'm not "dying" for 12.4.x. At lest until others start getting it and FOMO kicks my s$$.

I had something odd happen yesterday. I don't believe I've ever seen this before but while sitting at a red light in a left turn lane. V12.3.6 randomly decided to turn the wheel to the right(about 45deg). I was not moving and the other cars in my lane and neighboring lane was not moving. Wheel turned more to the right again(slight movement). Once the light turned green and the car in front of me moved. The wheel straitened out and drove normally.
That happens to me at one left turn lane intersection every time I sit waiting for the left arrow to turn green. But nowhere else. Ghost in the machine.

Damn Ive been having some complex great urban drives the last few days. I swear it seems I've gotten at least some Delta update action improving 12.3.9. Or maybe Elon slipped me some 12.4 love'n in a shadow mode. 🫣 🤣 🤣 Today I even had it make 2 Yellow lights that in the past 12.3.x would have been a hard braking/stop event. Yesterday I went 7 miles up Peachtree St/Rd from Midtown to Buckhead and back in heavy traffic and not a single disengagement. My only disengagement in the last few days was today on GA Tech campus on a moderate traffic street it tried to get in the Right turn lane needed to go straight. But it is now killing it in the city and seems to have gotten so much better. In fact it is so good now I'm not "dying" for 12.4.x. At lest until others start getting it and FOMO kicks my s$$.
FOMO you say... I think I have a notification in my app I need to check. If I had FOMO I would go out to my beautiful Tesla to check.
Nah, will just hang out in my office for the rest of the day and likely start the download of 2024.9.5 when I have an extended bathroom break. 💩
Don't worry, I will take a picture and post it. At least I have figured out how to do that. ;)

Edit: I will take a picture of the downloading of software, NOT a picture in the bathroom.... Just wanted to be clear before you tear me to shreds!

Last edited:
12.3.9? Ah ha! I knew there were some time-travelers in this group.

(Like people have had 2024.14.6 offered to them, but was pulled before they installed it. They will likely get 2024.14.7, or maybe 2024.14.8 as their next update.)
Or the opposite behavior of staying on an older version such as earlier this year with 2024.2.x "missing" the update to 2024.8.x which had the fortunate behavior of allowing updates to 2024.3.x instead of waiting for 2024.14.x to get FSD 12.3.x.

Although Elon Musk suggests this split in versions (due to hardware and software variants?) might be improved with 12.4 or going forwards:

If he meant "after" as in 12.5+, I guess we might still have the split with 2024.9.x / 12.4.x with those already on 2024.14.x needing to wait.

Or the opposite behavior of staying on an older version such as earlier this year with 2024.2.x "missing" the update to 2024.8.x which had the fortunate behavior of allowing updates to 2024.3.x instead of waiting for 2024.14.x to get FSD 12.3.x.

Although Elon Musk suggests this split in versions (due to hardware and software variants?) might be improved with 12.4 or going forwards:

If he meant "after" as in 12.5+, I guess we might still have the split with 2024.9.x / 12.4.x with those already on 2024.14.x needing to wait.
Elon has never seemingly had a grasp on versioning. He should know that 11.1 is the UI, not FSD that individual is referring to. No one is on FSD 11.1. and more than once he's said, "All cars now have access to "X", when they didn't.

Elon has never seemingly had a grasp on versioning. He should know that 11.1 is the UI, not FSD that individual is referring to. No one is on FSD 11.1. and more than once he's said, "All cars now have access to "X", when they didn't.
Yeah this Bull $hit method of including the UI version before the software version needs to be changed or abandoned. All it does is cause confusion and offers NO insight. So weird that Elon doesn't get something that is so F'n obvious.

Afraid to bring this topic back……. In the past you have always made mention of FSD stopping early followed by use of mechanical brakes. Never argued the case as it was not something that concerned me or viewed as a major issue. However. I have since acquired a P100DL 2017 with all the factory upgrades allowing FSDs to current standards. What I noticed (new to me) is that these older models do allow regen braking however Not the same as next gen vehicles. (Believe someone said it was a different motor magnet design). This era car will regen as normal down to 2-3 MPH then basically free roll until you apply the brake to stop and hold. Is it possible what you often note regarding early stop and mechanical brake are buffers they put in place to have a unified software to accommodate several versions of motors etc? Honestly curious as it does seem obvious when I drive the older S. In full FSD it handles virtually the same as my MSP but not in manual mode.

Reactions: cyborgLIS
Afraid to bring this topic back……. In the past you have always made mention of FSD stopping early followed by use of mechanical brakes. Never argued the case as it was not something that concerned me or viewed as a major issue. However. I have since acquired a P100DL 2017 with all the factory upgrades allowing FSDs to current standards. What I noticed (new to me) is that these older models do allow regen braking however Not the same as next gen vehicles. (Believe someone said it was a different motor magnet design). This era car will regen as normal down to 2-3 MPH then basically free roll until you apply the brake to stop and hold. Is it possible what you often note regarding early stop and mechanical brake are buffers they put in place to have a unified software to accommodate several versions of motors etc? Honestly curious as it does seem obvious when I drive the older S. In full FSD it handles virtually the same as my MSP but not in manual mode.
Not sure who you are referencing BUT a 2017 S has induction motors and induction can't regen below about 5MPH. You don't have a Hold mode available? Just to add only permanent magnet motors can regen all the way to 0MPH.

Last edited: