Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it really that difficult? Tesla says that the entire cleaning procedure only takes about 15 minutes. (Exception: It takes almost 30 minutes on the Legacy, pre 2021, Model Xs.)
Of course it's not the most difficult procedure around, and the service techs won't have much trouble. But yes it's unnecessarily difficult for something that should be a routine restore-to-100%, service check.

BTW similar comments apply to the changing of the double cabin air filters, access to the heat pump radiator that is prone to leaf and debris clogging and possibly a few other items.

This is not Tesla bashing in any form; I'm making constructive suggestions to make a great car even better. Thankfully Tesla's business model is not based on locking the owner into ongoing maintenance as a profit center. DIY or not, everyone benefits when there is design for serviceability around components that will or may require service.

Having said that, the most important take-away of this discussion is not really the relative difficulty of maintaining the cameras. It's simply raising awareness that this is happening, it's a gradual and non-obvious detriment to FSD performance, and there are clear opportunities to fix it and keep it fixed.

Well it happened to me. Probably I am incapable to use FSD.
With regard to using FSD with no destination set, yes I have that problem all the time. I rarely look at the screen when using FSD. My focus is outside the car. My first clue is when FSD fails to initiate a required turn. A quick look at the screen after making the turn confirms that condition, with the blank navigation search box being the indicator that stands out most to me. I also rarely catch the blue flashing nag indicator. I don't think there is an easy solution to reminding us that won't be way too annoying. The best way would be an audible warning just before the turn you want to make, if it could somehow read your mind.

With regard to using FSD with no destination set, yes I have that problem all the time. I rarely look at the screen when using FSD. My focus is outside the car. My first clue is when FSD fails to initiate a required turn. A quick look at the screen after making the turn confirms that condition, with the blank navigation search box being the indicator that stands out most to me. I also rarely catch the blue flashing nag indicator. I don't think there is an easy solution to reminding us that won't be way too annoying. The best way would be an audible warning just before the turn you want to make, if it could somehow read your mind.
I think it's not too difficult to provide the warning. The most useful time to give a warning is when the user engages FSD without a selected destination.

This warning can be enabled/disabled by the user.

Currently there is an option to enable default destination to go to work or to go home.

Adding a option for no destination is selected warning probably belongs to this category.

FSD takes people from point A to point B. I don't think many people want to engage FSD without destination. So the warning would not be that annoying.

Also it's would be nice to have a way for the user to resume the previous destination with confirmation. With this we can set the main destination then disengage FSD to make a quick stop at some place then continue to engage FSD. Android Auto let me do this.

Last edited:
I think it's not too difficult to provide the warning. The most useful time to give a warning is when the user engages FSD without a selected destination.

This warning can be enabled/disabled by the user.

Currently there is an option to enable default destination to go to work or to go home.

Adding a option for no destination is selected warning probably belongs to this category.

FSD takes people from point A to point B. I don't think many people want to engage FSD without destination. So the warning would not be that annoying.

Also it's would be nice to have a way for the user to resume the previous destination with confirmation. With this we can set the main destination then disengage FSD to make a quick stop at some place then continue to engage FSD. Android Auto let me do this.
I think Navigation and FSD are not that tightly coupled. You set you Destination. Navigation is on. Whether you engage FSD or not doesn't matter. You can disengage FSD and the Navigation still there.

Also, your previous Navigation Destinations are saved for you to recall.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I think Navigation and FSD are not that tightly coupled. You set you Destination. Navigation is on. Whether you engage FSD or not doesn't matter. You can disengage FSD and the Navigation still there.

Also, your previous Navigation Destinations are saved for you to recall.
I am only talking about the case engaging FSD without destination.

Regarding recalling destination: the user has to select from a drop down list while driving. It's fine when the car is parked. But some people are not comfortable to select something on the screen when the car is moving. If there is a voice command "navigate to the last destination" then it's very convenient. That's how I told Android Auto.

It's not easy to see if it's not shown. I did happen to me. It's a rare situation but I can slip from people's mind. If there is some small icon (Target 🎯 on for example) near the autopilot wheel and PRND on the upper left corner of the screen then it will help. It's similar to to headlight/fog light on/off icons.
I forgot to put a destination in 3 weeks ago, left for work and turned on fsd.
20 minutes later I realized I forgot, noticed there was no destination, but ego just assumed where I wanted to go and was taking me there. I then put my work destination in, just to be safe.

e298a6a4-7b37-4f80-b8bb-57079737caae_text.gif

Exactly the point, it should be a standardized, computer driven evaluation and yet again is a perfect candidate for an ML training project. It turns a very complex evaluation into a score and a standardized service directive. (This would supplement and not replace the real time evaluation of the image quality by the FSD driving NN, which is still needed to feed back to the Mothership, and to flag the need for a service visit.)

I was thinking of the front cameras in particular, but the service tool idea could be extended to the other cameras as well. Now that we can see the pillar camera image in the live camera view on the app, I noticed even here in Southern Arizona that it's prone to internal condensation and image degradation.

Hazing or just dirt on the glass lights up best when the incident light is oblique. It would be an interesting project too develop the LED array, and maybe there should be some associated tubes or optics to provide a variety of angles. Come to think of it, maybe the whole thing could be a single strong light source with a molded optical distribution pattern, a customized variant using the design methods of edge-lit LED panels to get the specialized pattern and angles. (my mind always drifts to the design engineering problem :) )

Mine is a very late 2021 Y, and was exhibiting serious degradation by 18 months, notably parked outside in the daily sun.

The camera housing seems to have spray flocking, not just flat black paint on the inner cover. That is some kind of glue mixture and it probably has a stronger chemical off-gassing signature than even the normal automotive interior plastics- which we know are prone to deposit haze over time. I have no idea how the newer cars differ in this respect, but new suppliers and different materials could easily mean that the older cars suffer less less from this problem.

It's a good idea, maybe even add the camera scores to the tire pressure readout on the screen and on the app. Because it's a new system health status that owners don't traditionally look for it, and that would gently educate and remind them to be aware of it.

As you found with the Tesla techs themselves, people don't think about this and are if anything skeptical when they first hear about it. But when you look at the dash cam images from a hazed camera, at sunset or at night, it's pretty shocking.
I have been wondering for years why they can't mount a left and right camera in the upper corners of the interior of the windshield pointed in the direction the B pillars are looking at.

I forgot to put a destination in 3 weeks ago, left for work and turned on fsd.
20 minutes later I realized I forgot, noticed there was no destination, but ego just assumed where I wanted to go and was taking me there. I then put THE STRIP CLUB destination in, just to be safe.
I'm sure your Tesla is will trained in that route. 🤣

Actually it does auto Navigate to Work and Home if at about the same time.;) That was added a year or so ago.

I have been wondering for years why they can't mount a left and right camera in the upper corners of the interior of the windshield pointed in the direction the B pillars are looking at.
In my near worthless (much lower than humble) opinion they need MORE cameras. The B-pillars are fine and all others but add 1 front bumper (standard angle), 1 rear camera (standard angle to help better judge distances), 4 cross traffic side facing bumper cameras. To me this would offer full blind spot coverage (front wheels and in front of bumper) and eliminate the need to creep into the street to see and allow safe Reversing in FSD.

FSD needs to have an icon to clearly indicate whether destination is set or not. Also it needs to remind the user if destination is not set when FSD is engaged.

FSD was innocently killed by me 4 times in less than 5 minutes.

I drove my car from a grocery parking to lane 1 of a 3 lane street then engaged FSD.
Suddenly the car jumped to lane 2...... I disenaged and realized that I did not set destination for FSD.
I'm sorry but it sounds like you just need to learn how the software works.

This seems similar to the problem of having cruise control active and forgetting, and being surprised that the car doesn't slow down. As far as warning you about something you didn't do...

I am only talking about the case engaging FSD without destination.

Regarding recalling destination: the user has to select from a drop down list while driving. It's fine when the car is parked. But some people are not comfortable to select something on the screen when the car is moving. If there is a voice command "navigate to the last destination" then it's very convenient. That's how I told Android Auto.
I thought you were talking about resuming destination when you disengage to do a side trip.

I think the last destination is on the top of the list.

You can also use voice to say " Navigate to So and So Address". Just press the voice button. You can also send an address from your phone Google Map to your Tesla Navigation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056 and rlsd
Today on a freeway that normally it handles just fine. It thought the speed was 65 and put me 15 miles over the speed limit then it went down to 55 and that entire freeway is a 60 mph zone. I must’ve gotten a map update or something, but the speeds were all messed up.