Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my post I literally quoted the definition for autonomous/autonomy.

Your post, in full, is quoted here

To this...I get trying to pick an extreme angle to feel the need to pull your opposition closer to the middle, but we all understand FSD performs autonomous actions. That's the conversation here. It drives and takes turns without direct human control.

By definition did you mean when you wrote: "It drives and takes turns without direct human control."

Which is not a definition I'm aware of as being recognized by SAE, any state or federal law, or Tesla themselves as a definition of autonomous driving.

The car can drive without human inputs

Again, it can not. That's what Tesla literally tells you over and over

Drive means something specific. The car can not do that.

It can automate some specific sub tasks of the overall driving task.

It can not perform OTHER subtasks of that overall driving task. It requires a human to perform those (acting as the OEDR being a big one, and then taking over some of the cars subtasks as needed for safety being the other).

ONLY when the car can perform all of the subtasks of the DDT- including a complete OEDR- will the car being able to drive without a human. (and even then it'll still need one on standby until it can ALSO handle the DDT fallback task too).

Understanding the stuff, and realizing it's not simply "semantics" is fundamental to understanding where FSD actually is today and what things still need to be solved to get it above L2 ever

. Arguing that monitoring is a human input has some validity, but then what do you call the car taking turns, braking, stopping, etc. without any user input?

I call it partial driving automation.

So does the SAE.

Those systems are automating specific sub-tasks of the DDT, while lacking the ability to do all of them. Hence why the human remains the driver.

There's nuance to this conversation and you are being very black and white, which is why there's boxed in rebuttals.

No, it's not, because the dead body is not performing any action that constitutes a verb

It is by the definition you posted. It's moving or travelling. Which are verbs.

Hence why your definition was as dumb as the rest of your arguments in this discussion.

Ever hear the phrase "When you find yourself in a hole... stop digging?"

Your post, in full, is quoted here

By definition did you mean when you wrote: "It drives and takes turns without direct human control."

Which is not a definition I'm aware of as being recognized by SAE, any state or federal law, or Tesla themselves as a definition of autonomous driving.

Again, it can not. That's what Tesla literally tells you over and over

Drive means something specific. The car can not do that.

It can automate some specific sub tasks of the overall driving task.

It can not perform OTHER subtasks of that overall driving task. It requires a human to perform those (acting as the OEDR being a big one, and then taking over some of the cars subtasks as needed for safety being the other).

ONLY when the car can perform all of the subtasks of the DDT- including a complete OEDR- will the car being able to drive without a human. (and even then it'll still need one on standby until it can ALSO handle the DDT fallback task too).

Understanding the stuff, and realizing it's not simply "semantics" is fundamental to understanding where FSD actually is today and what things still need to be solved to get it above L2 ever

I call it partial driving automation.

So does the SAE.

Those systems are automating specific sub-tasks of the DDT, while lacking the ability to do all of them. Hence why the human remains the driver.

There's nuance to this conversation and you are being very black and white, which is why there's boxed in rebuttals.

It is by the definition you posted. It's moving or travelling. Which are verbs.

Hence why your definition was as dumb as the rest of your arguments in this discussion.

Ever hear the phrase "When you find yourself in a hole... stop digging?"
No, the Oxford dictionary meaning:

denoting or performed by a device capable of operating without direct human control.

Again, you are arguing semantics and you are looking at things in an extremely polarizing point of view.

For the most part I agree with most of what you are saying as you see by my replies, but your approach is why you are getting so much push back.

This conversation is nuanced and you are spending most of the time trying to argue definitions of driving and autonomy, when you understand the context that FSD can go anywhere and Waymo cannot. That's the difference. Waymo can operate more independently in their mapped areas, but it's limited to specific areas. You keep talking past that point with "it can't drive anywhere" and it's a failing argument.

No, the Oxford dictionary meaning:

denoting or performed by a device capable of operating without direct human control.

In terms of driving, FSD can not operate without direct human control- specifically control of the OEDR and DDT fallback tasks. For that matter they require human control to turn on in the first place- and the law makes clear whomever does that remains the actual, active, driver of the vehicle.

Again, you are arguing semantics and you are looking at things in an extremely polarizing point of view.

I'm not though. This stuff has specific technical and legal definitions for a reason

If "you need to understand what the terms actually mean to intelligently discuss the topic" is polarizing I can't really help that, it remains true- and the thread has been a great illustration of that with one dude initially insisting we should instead use a definition that concludes with "a dead body can drive a car"

This stuff has specific technical and legal definitions for a reason

This conversation is nuanced and you are spending most of the time trying to argue definitions of driving and autonomy, when you understand the context that FSD can go anywhere and Waymo cannot.

Because without understanding the definitions we get completely pointless (and often factually wrong) conclusions like "FSD drives better than Waymo"

FSD can not drive at all

That is the point

Some folks who refuse to bother to educate themselves seem to think "FSD can drive and it just needs to get a little better at it and robotaxi!"

That's parsecs from factual

FSD is missing entire task abilities required to drive a car. More than one of them.

Abilities Waymos system has.

They are confusing ability to do some but not all elements of the DDT (FSD) with ability to do the ENTIRE DDT AND FALLBACK within an ODD (Waymo).

So they keep reaching nonsense conclusions when trying to "compare" two fundamentally different things.

That's the difference. Waymo can operate more independently in their mapped areas, but it's limited to specific areas.

No--- the difference is Waymo can operate independently at all

FSD can not.

There's foundational reasons why that's so- and if someone refuses to understand them all conclusions they reach without that understanding will be fundamentally flawed.

I hate it that V12 rollout has been expected for so long but has progressed so slowly that we're now fighting over some definition that has zero bearing on the capabilities of actual V12.

You don't think understanding what the elements of the driving task are, and thus which parts of the driving task the system can and can not actually do has any bearing on the capabilities of the system?

(especially for cases as the other poster was attempting- in comparing it to other systems)

You don't think understanding what the elements of the driving task are, and thus which parts of the driving task the system can and can not actually do has any bearing on the capabilities of the system?

(especially for cases as the other poster was attempting- in comparing it to other systems)

It does not matter to me whether Waymo is better than Tesla. I care of what exactly each system is capable, on which the definition of anything has zero impact.

It does not matter to me whether Waymo is better than Tesla.

Ok, but that's what much of the discussion was about.

I care of what exactly each system is capable, on which the definition of anything has zero impact.

That's fundamentally untrue-- if you don't understand what any of the terms used to describe capabilities are you can not understand what the capabilities (and maybe more important- the limitations) are- or even worse if you're in a discussion where people trying to talk about those capabilities are all making up their own, incompatible, definitions, you're going to have an even harder time finding any productive conversation.

See again the guy who kept insisting his tesla could drive itself around the block. It can't. If you don't understand what driving actually involves, and why the Tesla can't do that, you're in for a bad time trying to discuss those things.

Likewise if you don't understand what an ODD is you're gonna have a bad time trying to intelligently discuss the capabilities of Waymos offering- which CAN drive itself, but only when its in its ODD.

Ok, but that's what much of the discussion was about.

That's fundamentally untrue-- if you don't understand what any of the terms used to describe capabilities are you can not understand what the capabilities (and maybe more important- the limitations) are- or even worse if you're in a discussion where people trying to talk about those capabilities are all making up their own, incompatible, definitions, you're going to have an even harder time finding any productive conversation.

See again the guy who kept insisting his tesla could drive itself around the block. It can't. If you don't understand what driving actually involves, and why the Tesla can't do that, you're in for a bad time trying to discuss those things.

Likewise if you don't understand what an ODD is you're gonna have a bad time trying to intelligently discuss the capabilities of Waymos offering- which CAN drive itself, but only when its in its ODD.
Insufferable ^^^

Do you know what that means?

I need help. My wife and I argue over whether the laundry machine washes clothes or she washes them. Can anyone clarify? I'm looking for nuanced industry standards and legal definitions, not some common understanding most agree on. After that's solved, I need to address whether my oven bakes dinner or me.
Well that's easy - she's washing them, and she's cooking dinner. The way we know that's true is simple: tell your wife she didn't do any chores, the machines did them all. See how fast you're apologizing with flowers/candy/jewelry/etc. 😁

Well that's easy - she's washing them, and she's cooking dinner. The way we know that's true is simple: tell your wife she didn't do any chores, the machines did them all. See how fast you're apologizing with flowers/candy/jewelry/etc. 😁
So been there done that. Said the same about “I did the dishes” when technically she only loaded a box. Didn’t go well.

Repeated preference for ignorance over enlightenment perhaps?
If I could have enlightenment rather than ignorance simply by preferring it, repeatedly or otherwise, I'd be good.
Sorry to waste this bandwidth, but the last 5 pages or so have the distinct feel to me of an extended discussion about what the meaning of "is" is...