Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Transfer Offer - COMPLAINT wrt totaled car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD is married to the VIN. So is FUSC.

The only reason I know this is because I used the current price of FSD to keep my Tesla from being totaled. My car reached the "totaled" value until I reminded the insurance company of the price of FSD and the value of FUSC.
No it’s not, this is why both are disabled by Tesla when they are traded in before they send it to auction. And why they can transfer FSD to a new car and disable it on the older car. If it was tied to the vin, that wouldn’t be possible. The reason the insurance company took them into consideration is because only Tesla is able to transfer and control them. If the insurance company could transfer or resell those what amounts to software licenses, they would.

While there for service, my local service center confirmed they allowed some people to take delivery this week and keep the FSD transfer. They had ordered weeks ago, cars did not arrive in time of the projected window, or had an issue needing repair before delivery, and they can allow the transfer. But if someone had rejected a VIN, refused an identical or similar inventory car, or tried to delay in bad faith, they would not blanket honor the transfer.

I have so better good luck just by going in and talking to people in person at Tesla. More people should try it vs the txts and research research research on social media.

Reactions: FireFighterHil
No it’s not, this is why both are disabled by Tesla when they are traded in before they send it to auction. And why they can transfer FSD to a new car and disable it on the older car. If it was tied to the vin, that wouldn’t be possible. The reason the insurance company took them into consideration is because only Tesla is able to transfer and control them. If the insurance company could transfer or resell those what amounts to software licenses, they would.
Of course, it can't be technically tied to the VIN, it's just software. Meaning Tesla can push it anywhere they want. But conceptually it has been associated with the VIN rather than the owner. I think we would all like to change this, and like other software, if you buy it you own it.........Makes all the difference, if I could not have transferred my FSD I would not have bought my 2023 M3P last month.......

It's married to VIN for private and third party sales that do not go through Tesla. If it goes through Tesla that obviously does not apply. A lot of articles and people mix this up. This FSD transfer is a special exception.

Geeessshhhh

My point is that you can't keep FSD or FUSC when you get rid of your car and get a new one.

FSD and FUSC isn't married to the owner. Its married to the VIN.

The insurance company included the value of FSD for 2 reasons:

1. It was included on my maroney sticker - I purchased it with the car from the vendor. Its invisible to the eye.
2. The replacement cost if my car was totaled. They would have to buy me a new FSD package in the new car. I have accident replacement.

Geesshhh people.

Geeessshhhh

My point is that you can't keep FSD or FUSC when you get rid of your car and get a new one.

FSD and FUSC isn't married to the owner. Its married to the VIN.

So - When I sell or get rid of my car through insurance - I can include the value of FSD with it. FUSC is a perk, however it has value.

Geesshhh people.
The point I’m trying to make though is that once Tesla finds out that car was totaled, they will disable both. It could be for hail damage, but that car will no longer have either FSD or FUSC and may not be able to supercharge at all. So that extra money the insurance is paying you for those features, the insurance company can’t even resell it to a vehicle collision repair company and tell them they’re included with the car. I’m honestly surprised Tesla has gotten away with this for so long and continues to get away with it.

The point I’m trying to make though is that once Tesla finds out that car was totaled, they will disable both. It could be for hail damage, but that car will no longer have either FSD or FUSC and may not be able to supercharge at all. So that extra money the insurance is paying you for those features, the insurance company can’t even resell it to a vehicle collision repair company and tell them they’re included with the car. I’m honestly surprised Tesla has gotten away with this for so long and continues to get away with it.

I really don't care what happens after I don't own the car anymore. I really don't care. Tesla can do whatever they want.

The insurance company is paying me to buy it again. I only paid 8K for FSD - the insurance company was going to give me 15k because that's the replacement cost.

While I own it - FSD and FUSC is married to the VIN and not to me. So please...with the technicalities.

I knew all this going in...so Tesla isn't getting away with anything as far as I am concerned. I agreed with it when I bought the car - otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

Reactions: PACEMD
False, Tesla will not disable FSD for totaled cars that do not go through them. That has been a myth that for some reason would not die. Every case that have been reported of it being removed have been after the car goes through Tesla's hands.

They disable all supercharging on salvage cars, but that's a different issue.

Reactions: brkaus and PACEMD
You are associating imaginary motivations to Tesla based on assumed cynicisms, you made that up and so the question was why? Meaning does that help to understand the world? It is what it is.........assumptions about motivations reflecting only the character of the question..........a metaphysical mouse in a black hole..........

Last edited:
I would be frustrated too. Good points here about there being no real competition for Tesla to have any motivation to do "the right thing". Unfortunately, I have found actual car dealerships like our local Hyundai dealership also very reluctant to "do the right thing", if it means I am benefitting moneywise and their mega company is losing a few of the mega bucks I just threw their way. They have gotten downright nasty and abusive if I suggest that the thousands of $$ they push you to add to your purchase before they "give you" the car you are already paying $$$$ for is completely unnecessary. My last buying experience at the local Hyundai dealership took 4-6 hours of sitting and waiting and then a pushy finance guy who beat up on me for two hours to buy crap I didn't need. Those guys don't know how to take no for an answer and they turned me off the whole brand. Any subsequent issues that came up were ignored since they already had my $$$$. I also wish the world were a better place where people did "the right thing"...but most people say I'm a dreamer. Good luck with your concerns - I truly hope someone listens and transfers the FSD. I'm finding Tesla pretty non responsive too. In fact I transferred my plates from my Hyundai to the MY and have still not received an updated registration, which means I can't actually put the plates on the MY. My temp reg expires in 36 hours. I've reached out several times - the online folks got back to me and said they forwarded the concerns to the service center where I picked up the car from. Calls to that SC have proved fruitless- no one ever answers the phone, just endless hours on hold. I don't know why simple reasonable customer service seems to be a pipe dream

That stinks. I will never purchase FSD outright because of their policies. I don't get why they do this either -- I'd think they'd want to make you more likely to buy another Tesla by allowing transfers in all cases and also encourage people to buy FSD in the first place (like I need my Tesla car insurance to get even more outrageous by covering a freaking software license). Honestly, I'd get another brand of car -- there are lots of options out there that have much better driver assist features anyway (my wife's ID.4 has better highway self-driving). Tesla's can't even handle parking assist properly, I'm not sure how they are ever going to self-drive (again, my wife's ID.4 can self-park, er, kind of). Maybe take a look at the Ioniq 6 if you want a sedan.

Anyway, I get that it's easier said than done though to abandon Tesla -- I really like my car overall, but I've gone from a Musk admirer to really questioning his "vision." It will be interesting to see how things go once most electric vehicles brands can use Tesla's superchargers seamlessly.