Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD or not - deadline tomorrow noon !!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my silver Tesla is ready to be delivered - Delivery date set this Thursday, 6/15.

Struggling to decide if I need to add FSD to the car. Deadline is noon tomorrow.

The bummer is my sales advisor is going to charge me 500$ for a config change (even though it is just a software change) - this reduces the differential by 500$.

What would you folks suggest?

Thanks

• Funny
Reactions: u00mem9
...Struggling to decide if I need to add FSD to the car...

I myself love technology so I surely want it sooner or later but I still want it.

You've got to listen to your subconsciousness.

It's just like the night before the wedding.

You are unsure.

Why would you want to commit if you are not sure?

And this is not even a wedding.

So don't beat yourself up!

It's just money.

You can pay Tesla up at any time once you are sure in future.

Reactions: Tslanwbie
So my silver Tesla is ready to be delivered - Delivery date set this Thursday, 6/15.

Struggling to decide if I need to add FSD to the car. Deadline is noon tomorrow.

The bummer is my sales advisor is going to charge me 500$ for a config change (even though it is just a software change) - this reduces the differential by 500$.

Thanks

Pass. FSD features are likely a long ways away still...

Thanks
I like the advice I have seen here a few times: Use the $3,000 (or $3,500, in your case) to buy Tesla stock. If Tesla actually gets autonomy to work on any kind of time table, you can buy the feature then with the proceeds. If he doesn't, at least you will still own some stock.

I think this depends a lot on your own personal preferences.

Tesla will probably "flip the switch" on some initial FSD features sometime soon, but it will likely be a long way from "self-driving," at least in the early stages. If you think you will enjoy the experience of being an early adopter, using the technology while it is still rough around the edges and watching it grow, then FSD might be for you. If imperfect performance, bumps along the way, delays, warts, etc. will annoy you, then skip it for now -- you can always pay a little extra later once the FSD system is working at a level you are comfortable with.

• Helpful
Reactions: wesley888 and NateB

Thanks
My recommendation to anyone would be to wait until the feature is active and allowed by the state you live in ... CA is progressive and will likely allow FSD before most states but it's probably some years away from being legal,

That said I like the buy some stock suggestion.

...CA is progressive and will likely allow FSD before most states but it's probably some years away from being legal...

It has been legal to have a consumer car roaming around in some states without any human drivers in it:

9/20/2016 Florida
12/10/2016 Michigan (no controls for human needed: Save your $ by skipping steering wheel, brake pedal, accelerator pedal...)
5/30/2017 Georgia

• Informative
Reactions: GasKilla
Musk has indicated AP2 cars with FSD enabled should start seeing some benefits from the extra cameras enabled by FSD soon. So even though we won't be able to use FSD, the AP software evidently will use all of the cameras when EAP is enabled.

Though, if the difference is only $500 - it's probably better to wait until the software actually can use all of the cameras - and determine if there's enough benefit to warrant paying for the upgrade.

I did not get it on mine. I think it's still at least a year away before any feature start showing up under FSD that are not available in EAP. Once those features start to become available you can decide if it's worth it to you. You can always add it on later. And there's a non-zero possibility the price could go down too... stranger things have happened!

I spec'd my P100D with it, but I'm still unsure if I'll order it or not. Logically it is silly to order it now. Emotionally it seems cool. Stupid decision, but I'll do it anyway, assuming I actually place the order.

Reactions: Tslanwbie