Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD NOW 8k for all models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good point. Now that I think about it, when I bought in mid 2017 I’m pretty sure it was 5k for EAP + 3k for FSD. So, it’s back to where it was 3years ago. But, the car itself is cheaper now. (depending on your configuration). Even though FSD does a lot more now, it doesn’t feel like a better value. My frugal self was only willing to buy during the fire sale.

I only purchased during the fire sale too.

True, but driving is not 100% reliable. Last night I watched the video of that M3 almost getting crushed by a semi (but saved by autopilot). Today, driving my wife’s Highlander on 101 N. in Marin in the HOV lane someone pulled out of stoped traffic and tried to merge right into me. I had to slam on the brakes and keep from hitting the car or the retaining wall, exactly like the video. During the 3 1/2 seconds it was happening I was actually having flashbacks of the video!
My point being, the auto pilot software is definitely worth something, well north of $1000 in my opinion. But, probably not 8k. I would pay 5k for it again.

You get the safety and crash avoidance for free.

As a FSD buyer, it is nearly all useless but the rumors of resumption of +5mph makes traffic control feature useable and perhaps great. It's already solid but speed limit is actually dangerous.

I really doubt that the math would tell Tesla there is more money in subscription. Most people would sign up at $100 a month, then drop it way before 80 months is up. Personally I would not pay more than a month (if that, having experienced AP and EAP), neither would my wife who keeps EAP2.5 disabled on her car. Even my 16 year old son tried EAP and doesn't like it either. We have AP1 and EAP2.5 on our Teslas, but AP1 is the only one which gets used (by me) from time to time. I try out out my wife's EAP as recently as a month ago (only on a highway), but it's still not as smooth as AP1, plus the phantom braking for no apparent reason just drove me nuts so I just turned it off. It wasn't tire screeching, accident causing slamming on the brakes, but still rather unpleasant slowdowns at highway speeds. Blind spot monitoring works better on EAP2.5 than AP1, I will give it that, not worth $8K though.

Notice that you can already get it $8K AP for ~$130 a month, just have to commit to 72 monthly payments up front. Let's see how many people sign up. A while back I polled some of my coworkers who bought Teslas, mostly Model 3's but there were a couple S's and one X, and majority did not pay for FSD even when it was $5K. Maybe Elon realized that the only people who will pay for FSD are not very price sensitive, so it makes sense to jack up the price - more money, same take rate of customers.

The way I look at it. Imagine if standard AP was subscription and they gave me a free month to try it out right now. I would definitely get hooked and think $100 a month is worth every penny.

Lets see if FSD gives the same feeling

I think that is what they are aiming for. Price it at 8k then $100 a month doesn't seem to bad. I bet they have done the math and more people are willing to subscribe then pay 8k outright.

They have already said that the subscription will cost more than buying it outright with the car. So my guess is that the subscription will be $200/month with a 12-month minimum commitment or $300/month for a month-to-month subscription. (I don't know if they will put a restriction that your car has to already have the AP3 computer to go with a month-to-month subscription or if they will eat the cost of everybody that pays for one month just to get the AP3 computer upgrade.)

Reactions: PhilDavid
You get the safety and crash avoidance for free.

As a FSD buyer, it is nearly all useless but the rumors of resumption of +5mph makes traffic control feature useable and perhaps great. It's already solid but speed limit is actually dangerous.

I wish they'd allow up to +9. If the speed limit is 25, +5 makes sense. but if the limit is 40-45 and traffic speed is about +7 to +10, you need a bit more margin to drive safely with traffic.

But I agree that as is, the FSD traffic control feature is unusable, as it is limited to the speed limit. I'm sure this is a temporary limit though but they should let the driver set the speed, within reason.

Reactions: croman
I think the apparent disregard for actual value in different jurisdictions is unfortunate. The main features I have are schizophrenic lane changing, phantom braking as often as ever, visualisation of most roadside paraphernalia as either trash bins or cones, inability to navigate any road that could have parked vehicles straddling sidewalk / carriageway (which is a large proportion of UK roads) speed changes about 3 seconds after speed camera activates, heavy brake checking when overtaking trucks.... and a resistant regulatory framework that wants to restrict features too....

It may be that some owners experience only a few or none of these characteristics, but for me the reminder of them as I slowly get back to driving places is very evident, and really does not equate to discounted prices, let alone the new one.

And the full Re-write in 4 months... well, does that mean we all start over again, especially for owners outside the US? Does the rewrite mean that any changes in the meantime are just to keep us entertained?

As always hopeful, but not much to base that on imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flyguy
I wish they'd allow up to +9. If the speed limit is 25, +5 makes sense. but if the limit is 40-45 and traffic speed is about +7 to +10, you need a bit more margin to drive safely with traffic.

But I agree that as is, the FSD traffic control feature is unusable, as it is limited to the speed limit. I'm sure this is a temporary limit though but they should let the driver set the speed, within reason.

My guess is the future of FSD (not just Tesla) is driving the speed limit. Certainly in cars without a driver behind the wheel. Only way it will ever get approved. Though at some point when there's enough robocars on the road they can raise the speed limits, especially when all the cars are talking to each other. But that's probably not until 2030-something.

Though at some point when there's enough robocars on the road they can raise the speed limits said:
A lot later than that. A bunch of people out there buying non-robo cars in the next 5 years will keep them till the rot. That's me and some of my family members :D I bet the NTSB isn't going to change the limits to let me drive around all those robo cars. Of wait a second, on second thought, I will probably be dead :)

Tesla screwed themselves with terminology. If they never assigned the term “FSD” no one would have this mental issue, or severe backlash in many cases, with the idea of this purchase. Imagine if they just had the “basic package” as standard and what they’re asking $8k was just called the “premium package” this whole time. All of a sudden this notion of “the car can’t do FULL SELF DRIVING so it’s not worth the money” doesn’t exist because the concept of FSD was never brought up in the first place.

Reactions: croman
Tesla screwed themselves with terminology. If they never assigned the term “FSD” no one would have this mental issue, or severe backlash in many cases, with the idea of this purchase. Imagine if they just had the “basic package” as standard and what they’re asking $8k was just called the “premium package” this whole time. All of a sudden this notion of “the car can’t do FULL SELF DRIVING so it’s not worth the money” doesn’t exist because the concept of FSD was never brought up in the first place.
But then it wouldn’t have been as exciting and less people would have purchased the option.
Don’t forget we’re talking about a CEO who also said a Tesla sold with the FSD option would be an appreciating asset (LOL)

Reactions: 2101Guy
My guess is the future of FSD (not just Tesla) is driving the speed limit. Certainly in cars without a driver behind the wheel. Only way it will ever get approved. Though at some point when there's enough robocars on the road they can raise the speed limits, especially when all the cars are talking to each other. But that's probably not until 2030-something.

They can drive whatever speed they want when there is no driver.

When I'm driving and responsible for the car, I should be able to set the speed--within reason obviously.

Today on a divided local road, it would not let me set the lane keeping assist beyond 5mph over the limit (I was trying to get it to do 9). I have traffic control and stop light control turned off due to the speed limit issue.

Is being limited to only 5mph new for lane keeping assist now?

I paid for FSD but this is going to be useless if they don't let you set the speed to that of the speed of traffic (around 5-10mph over the limit where I live), with the driver accepting responsibility for the set speed. Especially with some of he GPS speed limits being wrong.

But then it wouldn’t have been as exciting and less people would have purchased the option.
Don’t forget we’re talking about a CEO who also said a Tesla sold with the FSD option would be an appreciating asset (LOL)

Well, to be fair, the value of the FSD OPTION in the car does keep appreciating. When they perfect FSD to a point where it can actually take most people to work and back, I can see it easily being worth $10 or more.

I'm mostly concerned about the overly restrictive speed limit limitations I've noticed lately.

$8,000 is still cheap and I think a lot of people would regret next year not taking it for even that price.

The complete rewrite with 3D-labelling will be ready in two to four months. Yes, I know Elon's timing has been off in the past but he has been better at it lately - especially if timeframe is relatively short.
There has been a lot of negativity everywhere about FSD, Robotaxi etc., also with from fanboys. Yet the people who are really working on it are as convinced as ever that everything will come to fruition in a couple of months, hence the increase in FSD package.

I now see a real possibility in two to four months time we all have an awe moment, just like when the two boosters landed simutaniously with first Falcon Heavy launch. Don't be surprised that Robotaxi will start on small scale in some counties next year, followed by many more areas soon after that. Then the opportunity starts to make real money with your car. On Autonomy Day Elon made a conservative projection of $30,000 per year. When owners start making that kind of money sitting at home drinking beer people will really regret no taking the plunge at $8,000 when they could have. Don't bet against Elon. This guy is sending rockets with people on it to the International Space Station with a cost of pennies to the dollar of which it used to cost, is in the process of sending thousands of of satellites in low earth orbit so that even the most remote Inuit towns or Berbers in Sahara can have Internet access.

Especially with some of he GPS speed limits being wrong.

I totally get needing to drive at the same speed as other traffic, but don't get the point of speed limits if they are not realistic and enforced.

However, without question GPS based speed limits that are incorrect, or slowing down excessively / prematurely to negotiate a potential hazard is more dangerous that the hazard in most cases.

easily being worth $10

$10! That's a bit harsh isn't it? Surely you could go to $15?! Or are you talking about the robo taxi fare to go to work?

Last edited:
When I'm driving and responsible for the car, I should be able to set the speed--within reason obviously.

In some jurisdictions, while it might be accepted that from time to time a driver could be justified in driving above the posted limit, it would be different to set an AP system to systematically exceed the limit by 25%.

If speed limits really do carry little or no legal significance in some locations, then geofencing might be the answer to give drivers control to be 'safe' given locally accepted norms.

$8,000 is still cheap and I think a lot of people would regret next year not taking it for even that price.

The complete rewrite with 3D-labelling will be ready in two to four months. Yes, I know Elon's timing has been off in the past but he has been better at it lately - especially if timeframe is relatively short.
There has been a lot of negativity everywhere about FSD, Robotaxi etc., also with from fanboys. Yet the people who are really working on it are as convinced as ever that everything will come to fruition in a couple of months, hence the increase in FSD package.

I now see a real possibility in two to four months time we all have an awe moment, just like when the two boosters landed simutaniously with first Falcon Heavy launch. Don't be surprised that Robotaxi will start on small scale in some counties next year, followed by many more areas soon after that. Then the opportunity starts to make real money with your car. On Autonomy Day Elon made a conservative projection of $30,000 per year. When owners start making that kind of money sitting at home drinking beer people will really regret no taking the plunge at $8,000 when they could have. Don't bet against Elon. This guy is sending rockets with people on it to the International Space Station with a cost of pennies to the dollar of which it used to cost, is in the process of sending thousands of of satellites in low earth orbit so that even the most remote Inuit towns or Berbers in Sahara can have Internet access.

The car isn't at full parity with AP1 still since it can't read speed limits, but in 4 months it will drive itself?

The probability of what you said happening are either zero or close to it.

Well thanks for the laugh. It’s nice to wake up to a very clever joke