Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am unjustifiably annoyed by the fact that he still has the temp license paperwork in the windshield.
In one of the videos when they switch to the rear camera, he still has the personalized temp paper/plastic "plates" that you get on new cars in CA now. If he hasn't gotten his permanent metal plates yet, he needs to leave the above on the windshield.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Waymo doesn’t work in private cars nor even in my city. So, can’t use that. And even in cities Waymo does work for, can only go on certain paths and certain pickup/drop off points.

Waymo doesn't have a specific route/path. It can go anywhere driverless within its 50 sq mile zone (which will be extended to 100 sq later this year). It doesn't have specific pick up/drop off points. You can pick up and drop off at anywhere. What it does do is prevent pick up and drop off to be requested at non-sensible areas like in the middle/near a highway or places they have obvious issues with based on data. This is what happens when you have a REAL driverless robotaxi service.

This is proven on video.

It avoids complicated lefts by taking multiple rights and can take more then 30% more time for the same pickup and drop off scenario.
It takes those same complicated left turns when it has to. There are dozens of left turn on video.

Tesla’s system seems to handle situations similar to those just fine. But in more complicated areas, Tesla still needs work. And Waymo doesn’t even try. So I don’t get the comparison there that some on here like to make. Seriously. Even the “oh my 150k miles driven by Waymo”, is still a ridiculous comparison. Geofence a Tesla to the same simple routes and they would be on par.

Just because a system drives a route perfectly once (10 miles) on a completely empty road at night with literally no vehicles, pedestrians or any other actor or event. Doesn't mean it can drive that same route or other routes in that city/zone successfully 100,000 times more. Waymo is driving with no one in them because they have proven they can and have. Riders can fall asleep or do whatever they want to, Tesla drivers need to stay vigilant, supervise the system and pay attention to the road at all times to take over immediately!

Lastly Waymo drives in California and SF, the same places we see FSD Beta failing miserably with disengagement rate under 1 mile even.
Yet Waymo and Cruise have disengagement rate at/above 30,000 miles.

Ford and GM is only good on specific roads and doesn’t seem to hold the lane as well.

So as much as some people on here like to keep crapping on Elon, there is still nothing that comes close...yet. Yes it’s true the timeline keeps changing for FSD. But so too does this ever elusive “Tesla killer” thats coming “any moment now” that many of those same people like to keep saying.

Go check out Xpeng's Navigation Guided Pilot or NIO's NOP.

It avoids complicated lefts by taking multiple rights and can take more then 30% more time for the same pickup and drop off scenario.
Lists of unprotected lefts on video. There's over 93 of them from one rider from 121 rides.

#FSDBeta 8.2 - 2021.4.11.1 - 4K Drone View of Unprotected Left Turns with Forward Facing Traffic

I would literally disengage it every time in this version, since it is turning the wheel prior to turning, it appears every time (did not watch it all).

Hopefully in future versions they will leave the wheel straight, until they turn left.

When someone hits you from behind at 30mph, it is definitely much better to go straight, than into oncoming traffic. It’s also bad because it is a signal to oncoming traffic that you are about to turn (as a driver in oncoming traffic, I would move my foot to cover the brake and change lanes to maximize separation, if I saw this behavior - in a Tesla that means slowing down a lot though due to regen, so in a Tesla I’d probably change lanes, reduce speed a little, and get ready to slam on the brakes, without actually covering the brake). Aside: Detecting wheel turning is an important part of path prediction which humans do all the time, and hopefully the Tesla camera system will have sufficient resolution to pick it up and detect it in future - probably it is essential to get better performance than a human, long term.

Anyway, hopefully they fix this in all applicable situations (usually left turns) before wider release.

Last edited:
Lists of unprotected lefts on video. There's over 93 of them from one rider from 121 rides.

Impressive.

Will be nice when a vehicle I can actually purchase and use where I live and can use on more than just a handful of roads, is available. or at the very least, work in the city I live in, which is probably a while yet. Until then, it does “me” absolutely no good.

Last edited:
Waymo doesn't have a specific route/path. It can go anywhere driverless within its 50 sq mile zone (which will be extended to 100 sq later this year). It doesn't have specific pick up/drop off points. You can pick up and drop off at anywhere. What it does do is prevent pick up and drop off to be requested at non-sensible areas like in the middle/near a highway or places they have obvious issues with based on data. This is what happens when you have a REAL driverless robotaxi service.

This is proven on video.

It takes those same complicated left turns when it has to. There are dozens of left turn on video.

Just because a system drives a route perfectly once (10 miles) on a completely empty road at night with literally no vehicles, pedestrians or any other actor or event. Doesn't mean it can drive that same route or other routes in that city/zone successfully 100,000 times more. Waymo is driving with no one in them because they have proven they can and have. Riders can fall asleep or do whatever they want to, Tesla drivers need to stay vigilant, supervise the system and pay attention to the road at all times to take over immediately!

Lastly Waymo drives in California and SF, the same places we see FSD Beta failing miserably with disengagement rate under 1 mile even.
Yet Waymo and Cruise have disengagement rate at/above 30,000 miles.

Go check out Xpeng's Navigation Guided Pilot or NIO's NOP.
Never said Waymo “couldn’t” do unprotected lefts. But Waymo (perhaps rightly) will avoid difficult routes. I don’t have numbers on how often.

“Waymo cars occasionally need to reroute
Our maps are designed for our self-driving cars. The best route for a Waymo car might be different than the route a human driver would take.

For example, Waymo cars might need to reroute if they:

• Want to avoid a busy intersection

Last edited:
“Waymo cars occasionally need to reroute
Our maps are designed for our self-driving cars. The best route for a Waymo car might be different than the route a human driver would take.

For example, Waymo cars might need to reroute if they:
  • Want to avoid a busy intersection
They may use data on high-accident locations and just avoid them from pure statistical chance of an accident. If so they are smarter than me, I continually drive bad streets because it's quicker, while saying "this intersection is just the worst" as I nearly get hit... again.

• Funny
Reactions: hellocar
I gotta say that I'm less and less confident that true FSD will show up anytime soon. I know that Tesla keeps refining it, but I'm a little leery about the odds of delivering any time soon (and by soon, I mean next few years). At this point, I'd be perfectly happy with a more reliable EAP and lack of phantom braking on the freeway. With Tesla hiking the price to $10K, I don't see how this would be a popular option.

Reactions: Matias
Impressive.

Will be nice when a vehicle I can actually purchase and use where I live and can use on more than just a handful of roads, is available. or at the very least, work in the city I live in, which is probably a while yet. Until then, it does “me” absolutely no good.
One of the bigger arguments for FSD and robotaxis with Tesla was that.....you won’t need to own a car.

People have been driving on city streets ever since cars have existed. Autosteer on city street (the last missing piece) would be nice, but is not like owners haven't been able to drive their Teslas because they're waiting for it.

I use AP with FSD features virtually every time I drive. I doubt I'll use autosteer on city streets regularly.

I gotta say that I'm less and less confident that true FSD will show up anytime soon. I know that Tesla keeps refining it, but I'm a little leery about the odds of delivering any time soon (and by soon, I mean next few years). At this point, I'd be perfectly happy with a more reliable EAP and lack of phantom braking on the freeway. With Tesla hiking the price to $10K, I don't see how this would be a popular option.

People have been driving on city streets ever since cars have existed. Autosteer on city street (the last missing piece) would be nice, but is not like owners haven't been able to drive their Teslas because they're waiting for it.

I use AP with FSD features virtually every time I drive. I doubt I'll use autosteer on city streets regularly.

"FSD" package being sold from March 2019 onward is quite different from what earlier buyers were sold, and we have received *one* fairly crappy feature (the traffic controls, which still require confirmation and still slows down inappropriately regularly) as part of "FSD", since NOA, summon, lane changes, etc were part of the Enhanced Autopilot package.

Calling autosteer on city streets "the last missing piece" is only correct for a subset of users. Those who bought earlier are owed more.

"FSD" package being sold from March 2019 onward is quite different from what earlier buyers were sold,
FSD as advertised/defined by Tesla from 2016 to 2021 has been virtually the same Autopilot -- even explained that it will be rolled out in stages over time.
And implies that the first releases of each functionality will require supervision (i.e. "the future use of these features without supervision" )
But, you go ahead and play the victim card!
1616431543556.png

1616431548817.png

FSD as advertised/defined by Tesla from 2016 to 2021 has been virtually the same Autopilot -- even explained that it will be rolled out in stages over time.
And implies that the first releases of each functionality will require supervision (i.e. "the future use of these features without supervision" )
But, you go ahead and play the victim card!
View attachment 646996
View attachment 646998

"When you arrive at your destination, simply step out at the entrance and your car will enter park seek mode, automatically search for a spot and park itself."

Is this in the current FSD Beta (aka Autosteer on City Streets)?

"A tap on your phone summons it back to you"

Is this in the current FSD Beta (aka Autosteer on City Streets)? And don't say Smart Summon, because it is unusable.

"For Superchargers that have automatic charge connection enabled, you will not even need to plug in your vehicle"

Have you seen any sign of these Superchargers?

"All you need to do is get in and tell your car where to go."

I suppose this *could* be realized in the FSD Beta, if they can get interventions close to zero.

"Please note also that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailing for friends and family is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network".

Is the Tesla Network part of the current FSD Beta (aka Autosteer on City Streets)?

As you can see from the examples above, @run-the-joules is 100% correct to say that the current definition of FSD does not match what was promised to early purchasers.

I disagree, actually. If I have to pay attention or keep my hand on the wheel, that is by any rational standard "action required by the person in the driver seat", thus not even making it out of the first paragraph, even for post-March 2019 buyers it seems.
You're right - "no action required by the person in the driver's seat" is actually L4 or L5.

It is certainly possible that the current definition of FSD becomes L4/L5 - but it's certainly not explicitly stated that way.