Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got HW 4.0 but NO FSD Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got a new 2023 Model Y that came with HW 4.0. it came with 2023.12.300 build and I subscribed to monthly FSD, it showed me that Full Self Driving beta will be available in upcoming software release..

after 3-4 days I received a version 2023.20.7 (which is supposed to be an FSD release) and it still says Full Self Driving beta will be available in upcoming software release

Is anyone else in the same boat? Do you know what's if there is an expected timeline to get FSD beta on HW 4.0 Model Y?

Reactions: Ccsdk
2023.20.7 has FSDb 11.3.6. As I recall, this version is not compatible with HW4. The most current FSDb, version 11.4.4, is compatible with HW4, but that is not on a software build new enough for your car to download.

You will need to wait for a newer version of FSDb to be made available. Perhaps 2023.26.x will have an updated FSDb that will be compatible with your car. Unfortunately, Tesla does a poor job communicating build plans.

If you have HW4 and higher than 23.7.x software you can't get FSD Beta as of now. HW4 requires FSD Beta 11.4.x or higher to work and 23.20.x has FSD Beta 11.3.6. FSD Beta 10.3.x or lower is pre HW4 and doesn't work.

FSD Beta 11.3.6 is considered more stable and is the "general" FSD Beta release.

All HW4 with 23.7.7 or higher will have to wait until 11.4.x or higher is released in a newer software.

Last edited:
It remains to be seen how this is going to work going forward. I can see there being two FSDb tracks until the Holiday Update, where everything tends to merge together. But, will we split again into two FSDb tracks? Or, as Elon has hinted, will there just be one main software branch going forward, with everyone on the same FSD version?

It remains to be seen how this is going to work going forward. I can see there being two FSDb tracks until the Holiday Update, where everything tends to merge together. But, will we split again into two FSDb tracks? Or, as Elon has hinted, will there just be one main software branch going forward, with everyone on the same FSD version?
I wish to hell Tesla would offer a rough roadmap of what the update plan is (and not just Elon saying "hopefully Robotaxis by the end of the year" again 🤣). Also wish they would offer a way (to owners) to change versions if the plan is status quo. I would love to trade my 23.7.20/11.4.4 for 23.20.7/11.3.6 at this point, especially if 11.5.x is a month or more away and will still lag way behind on 23.12.x (23.26.x about to rollout)

No reason why Tesla can't still keep 2 branches of FSD Beta and keep them both current. Tesla needs to offer 23.20.x with 11.4.5 next week. ;)

wish to hell Tesla would offer a rough roadmap of what the update plan is
Because of the research nature of the project, I doubt there is one. They're figuring this out as they go and they're assuming that we're all on board with being used as test dummies. I've never gotten the impression that Tesla was at all structured to cater to the needs of its customers so much as catering to The Vision. You can't create a Vision without breaking some customers.

Has Tesla even announced/talked about HW4? I assuming this includes a new FSD chip but dont see any info on it.
Tesla just changes things as they see fit. No announcements.

As for finding information, your google-fu needs work. Be sure to filter to hits during the last month.

"tesla hw4 computer"
"tesla hw4 radar"
"tesla hw4 teardown"

Some of the highlights are that a new radar module has been spotted at least on Model S and X, the main forward camera is now 5 megapixels (and one of the other forward cameras has been dropped), and the color response of the cameras has also changed. There have also been some slight changes to fields of view.

Here's a Munro Live discussion about the computer itself.

I recently got a new 2023 Model Y that came with HW 4.0. it came with 2023.12.300 build and I subscribed to monthly FSD, it showed me that Full Self Driving beta will be available in upcoming software release..

after 3-4 days I received a version 2023.20.7 (which is supposed to be an FSD release) and it still says Full Self Driving beta will be available in upcoming software release

Is anyone else in the same boat? Do you know what's if there is an expected timeline to get FSD beta on HW 4.0 Model Y?
Short answer.

Tesla was getting ready to release V11 of the FSD stack, it got delayed.
Expecting that V11 was going to deploy on time, they removed the ultrasonic sensors from cars.
Now, without ultrasonic sensors and V11 not yet ready, Parking assist wasn't working, as well as other things.
A NHTSA recall was made that Tesla had to implement. Out the door it goes in something like February for non-FSD cars.
Now there were two versions of software, one for FSD and one without it. Not their desired state, but they had to do it.
They are trying to continue development and to merge the streams, it just isn't there yet.

Should be soon.

HW4 really has nothing to do with it. Same software should all hardware.

Reactions: Ccsdk
To me it looks like there are 3 sets of coders. Non FSD updates, FSD updates with 11.3.6 and FSD updates with 11.x.x. To me it seems like they are
trying to herd cats. As far as I;m concerned there should be 1 set of code that has logic to determine HWx, FSD, non FSD.
I believe that it's just two. The infotainment team and the FDSb team.

This is pure speculation, but I'm guessing that the infotainment team had their software working with the older autonomy software and that the two pieces of software interacted via a certain interface. FSDb uses a different interface, so each time the FSDb team wanted to release new infotainment software, they had to retrofit the infotainment stuff to their interface. They didn't want to do that often, so infotainment updates were rare.

Now that FSDb has stabilized enough, Tesla decided that the infotainment team could modify the official infotainment software to use the FSDb interface. That gave them access to FSDb 11.3.6, which they included in their next update as a kind of proof of concept.

Given that scenario, so long as the FSDb team doesn't fiddle with the interface too much, the two teams can at least hand off software to each other more easily. The two teams may not ever work on the same release because of timing issues, but at least they would be able to trivially use the other's work. It would mean that there would be a single version line, but with different releases having either an infotainment update or an autonomy update, depending on which team just completed a set of changes.

A different theory about the interface thing is that the original software didn't have a defined interface at all, and that the infotainment stuff was all intertwined with the autonomy stuff. Given that theory, the latest work to include FSDb 11.3.6 in the infotainment line was all about getting the infotainment stuff to have a clean separation from the autonomy software. This may be the more likely scenario given how fast Tesla works, and how much of an unknown all this is.