Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 12 perspective from a previous skeptic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My prior foray into FSD Beta was documented here: Thoughts from a first time FSD Beta User: HW4.

TLDR for that take: Highway drives = Good, "around town" (suburban and rural driving), long way to go. That was version 11.4.4.

I received software update 2024.3.6 (FSD 12.3.2.1) and the free month trial yesterday, I drove around for about 6 hours on mostly suburban roads plus some highway miles. TLDR for this version: I am pretty blown away. All of the talk about "much more human like driving" is accurate IMO. It passed the wife test. Of the few actual disengagements I had, only one was what I would say is not a "corner case". That being said...the one constant (still) issue...the one thing that is not "natural" feeling, is how it handles unprotected turns. To get it to fee "natural" I am constantly pressing the accelerator to push it through and commit sooner than it would otherwise.

On to the details:

I drive a 2023 Model S, HW 4, Non USS. Northern NJ driving. My drives used the "auto speed" mode set in the "normal" position. Note: Elon had made a tweet recently that FSD 12 does not utilize HW4 performance: it runs HW4 in "HW3 emulation mode", which ultimately means that for now, HW4 performance will actually lag that of HW3. This will continue to be the case until Tesla provides specific support for HW4 (whatever that entails....specific training, recompiling, etc.).

I am the kind of person that would roll his eyes every time Whole Mars Blog made another X post about his latest "zero disengagement drive" seemingly every day for the past 2 years. That has just not been anything closely resembling my experience. I don't see a need for FSD myself as I enjoy driving locally. I do appreciate FSD on the highway for long road trips. This is why I purchased Advanced Autopilot on my S, but not FSD. So after my original FSD trial expired this past Dec, I have not used it since. It was potentially more nerve wracking using it than not.

I do have an investment in Tesla, so I keep tabs on FSD progress, and the best way is to try out the new beta for myself as a consumer, and of course the new 30 day free trial provides that opportunity.

Overall impressions: Night and day difference from the past version. No "herky jerky wheel spasm movements." No "what the hell is this car thinking" moments. The best way I could describe it in one sentence: "Imagine if you are a driving instructor, teaching a 30 year old driver who has had a handful of lessons to date." What I mean by that is you have a good level of base confidence in how it's going to drive...the driver may be more tentative in situations where a more experienced driver would not...and while you pay extra attention when you see "novel conditions" on the road, you are more often surprised vs. disappointed at how those situations are handled.

Over my several hours of driving (mostly suburban roads), these were my only disengagements:
1) On a narrow road, car did not see a (I assume fallen) "branch" sticking out of a hedge at about headlight height. If I did not disengage to avoid it, it may have been sticking out into the road enough to hit / scratch the car.
2) On a two way street downtown...a car two ahead of mine stopped to parallel park. The car directly ahead of me stopped to wait. My car stopped for a couple seconds, then appeared to start to want to go around. (In some cases, it may be appropriate to go around...like if a car is double parked, but not this one.)
3) Car was approaching an intersection and deciding "which lane" to go in. It appeared to still be indecisive as it was approaching the car in front. Just as I was about to manually hit the brake to stop, the tesla stopped itself using Emergency Braking. This is actually good to know: that Tesla's emergency safety features are always at work no matter who is driving (you or FSD).
4) Before crossing a one lane bridge, my direction is supposed to yield to on-coming traffic. I did not feel the car was slowing enough to yield to an oncoming car, so I stopped it myself.

I did have one disengagement on the highway. (I believe the highway stack is using FSD 11.x....but someone would need to confirm.) FYI...You can tell for sure when you are diving on the Highway stack vs. FSD 12 stack, because when driving on the highway stack you no longer have "auto speed" indicator, but the original "set speed" options. The highway disengagement was for making a turn onto an exit ramp so aggressively that made me uncomfortable enough to not trust it was going to correct in time.

That's it.

Even the "auto speed" worked fairly well. YEs, there were times when I would have driven a few MPH faster, but overall very good and comfortable. I do know that I tend to drive faster than most.

The one, still consistent, issue on FSD is the unprotected turns. I am constantly...constantly having the push the car through unprotected intersections with the accelerator because I can see that it is clear to go...and the car is just creeping. Mind you, it is steering fine (no freaky wheel spasms)...it's motion is smooth (no stop-start-stop-start)....it really feels like a first time driver that you just need to ensure it "yes...it's really OK to go now...GO!".

I still think that one reason for this is still NHTSA's insistence on certain behavior "at stop signs." The car stops much, much too soon at intersections....then it starts to creep forward. 75% of the time when it comes to the first stop...there is no visibility (for me, and presumably the car).

This is not how people actually drive naturally, and this is behavior that I hope Tesla can lobby NHTSA to relax on.

In sum: I am now very bullish on FSD...where if you asked me 4 months ago I would say "they are a long way away." Other than the stop-sign / unprotected turn behavior, I really feel that they are now legitimately in the "chase the 9s" (address corner case) era. Kudos to the FSD team at Tesla!

For anyone else taking advantage of FSD...I encourage you to:
1) Of course, always stay alert. Don't be complacent.
2) Once you get a feel for how FSD generally behaves, make sure you
a) Always disengage when you are uncomfortable. Don't "try" and "force" zero disengagement drives. The only way to feedback improvements to Tesla is to disengage in these situations where it is appropriate.
b) Likewise, use the accelerator pedal to push though intersections / situations where you would do so if driving manually. DON'T think "I'll just see if it eventually makes it through." Again, the way we will help out training, is to provide feedback that is consistent with how you would actually drive.

50662022486_d08265df6c_b.jpg

"I'm probably not driving" by Edsel L is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited:
Couple other notes:
1) Turn signal use was all over the place in Version 11.x for me. Phantom signalling, etc. Turn signals in 12.3.2.1 were pretty much spot on.
2) On my late day drive at night in light drizzle...auto wipers appeared to more or less work flawlessly. (This is anecdotal of course....would need more testing to see if there is any notable change to auto wiper behavior.)

Reactions: timberlights
Excellent review. Thanks. I also just received the new V12 and drove it for a short trip of just a few miles in rural/urban traffic. After having free V11 after purchasing our 2023 MYLR last August (our 3rd Tesla) I was not impressed. After my short drive, I'm still not impressed! Unnecessary aggressive acceleration when pulling out onto a highway, moved right into the parking lane approaching a right hand turn with visible stripping, etc. I'll check settings and see if I missed something in my excitement to try it out. :) And keep trying...

Reactions: timberlights
Love v12. The one thing I don't like is lack of turn signals on roundabouts. V11 was smooth and did all the signaling. Now it's even more smooth and confident, but no longer does any signals. I guess in the training data people don't signal in roundabouts.

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
Excellent review. Thanks. I also just received the new V12 and drove it for a short trip of just a few miles in rural/urban traffic. After having free V11 after purchasing our 2023 MYLR last August (our 3rd Tesla) I was not impressed. After my short drive, I'm still not impressed! Unnecessary aggressive acceleration when pulling out onto a highway, moved right into the parking lane approaching a right hand turn with visible stripping, etc. I'll check settings and see if I missed something in my excitement to try it out. :) And keep trying...
I’m same as you (same timeline too with the v11 trial last August, on my 2023 MYP), hated FSD’s behavior when I tried it last year…tried the new v12 yesterday and it was still terrible. Cannot handle roundabouts gracefully (there are roundabouts everywhere here), chose the wrong lane multiple times when approaching an intersection requiring a turn, did stupid stuff while changing lanes (“bouncing” around between lane lines). Weird braking/acceleration. I must have looked like a moron to the people around me but I tried to give it a fair shake. Especially with the roundabouts it’s literally dangerous because it does things that to other drivers are unpredictable.

I posted about this experience in the main FSD v12 thread and one person told me I’d like it more once I used it more…LOL hell no, I’m not going to use this *more* when it managed to make so many errors in 10 minutes of driving to the grocery.

Nice review and great suggestions! I tried FSD for the first time today as part of the free trial. Overall, it was solid. It gave the impression that they’re almost there and there’s a good chance that my car could truly drive itself over the course of road trip someday. It already drove better than some of the drivers I know, so that’s a plus. Though it sure did seem to accelerate more quickly than I prefer and brake too sternly as well. Also experienced the odd NHTSA-related behavior you described. Sure would be exciting if they can continue to improve on all these aspects!

The one, still consistent, issue on FSD is the unprotected turns. I am constantly...constantly having the push the car through unprotected intersections with the accelerator because I can see that it is clear to go...and the car is just creeping. Mind you, it is steering fine (no freaky wheel spasms)...it's motion is smooth (no stop-start-stop-start)....it really feels like a first time driver that you just need to ensure it "yes...it's really OK to go now...GO!".

I still think that one reason for this is still NHTSA's insistence on certain behavior "at stop signs." The car stops much, much too soon at intersections....then it starts to creep forward. 75% of the time when it comes to the first stop...there is no visibility (for me, and presumably the car).

This is not how people actually drive naturally, and this is behavior that I hope Tesla can lobby NHTSA to relax on.
I think we'll see an option under Autopilot to 'Stop Like A Human at Stop Signs' or some better title. Like the speed limit offsets, give me the option to stop when there is visibility, rather than stop twice with a creep in between. (And Rolling Stop option too!)

I think we'll see an option under Autopilot to 'Stop Like A Human at Stop Signs' or some better title. Like the speed limit offsets, give me the option to stop when there is visibility, rather than stop twice with a creep in between. (And Rolling Stop option too!)
I hope so....though given the "you must come to a complete stop" mandate by NHSTA, I can understand why Tesla is taking the approach they are, which seems to be:

1) Stop well ahead of the stop sign.
2) start to creep and determine visibility while creeping
3) Stop again if not clear...or go if clear.

In my experience, the main issue now (given the stop constraint), is that the car does not yet trust that when it doesn't see a car...there actually is no car there. In other words, it does reliably stop when it sees cross traffic...but many times when there is no cross traffic and it should just "go"....it continues to just creep well into the intersection before accelerating. (Not sure if it just doesn't see cars that are there.) This is where I am routinely hitting the accelerator to tell it "really...there is no cross traffic...you need to go now!" This might just be tesla being overly cautious during this initial roll-out, giving humans extra time to intervene if necessary. I hope that is the case, rather than the car's camera placement making it difficult to actually determine cross-traffic.

Ideally, (my opinion) this is what the behavior should be:

1) Slow down to a crawl at the point where it "stops" today.
2) If there is a cross walk at the interection. STOP. evaluate pedestrian traffic, then creep.
3) If there is no cross walk, do not stop, but creep
4) evaluate cross traffic until you hit the "creep limit".
5) If not clear, stop. If clear, go.

Great Review, I've purchased FSD for my 2018 Model S (hardware upgraded), 2020 Model Y, but have not chosen to purchase it for my 2021 Model S. I've participated in the Beta since it was open. FSD is great for long highway drives where there is no construction and the roads are good.

You do need to remember, FSD will not work:
- In the winter on snow covered roads (it works, but do you want a car that doesn't understand ice driving for you?)
- In light to heavy rain (per my past experience and confirmation again this morning)
- In fog
- Will not see pot holes
- Generally will not see twigs, limbs, and branches sticking out
- Will still jam on the breaks for shadows
- Can't see large DEEP puddles of water (will yank the car into them and disengage)
- Has issues with flashing yellow lights over highways marking intersections (at least in Indiana, tested on latest release)
- Might still freak out when it sees a car being towed backwards in front of you (happened to me last year, hard to reproduce to test)
- Dicey in Construction, gets confused when the barrels don't follow the road lines, in my instance it tried to plow through the barrels to follow the road lines

Because of a lot of these reasons it just doesn't make since to buy FSD if you live anywhere in the country that actually sees seasonal changes. Usage of FSD can be reduced to 6-8 months of the year, so not like it's going to be out there making you money year around "IF" unmanned FSD ever happens.

Love FSD and what it can offer, however as someone who has paid for it twice, it's not worth it if you live anywhere other regions that have summer type of weather 12 months out of the year with good roads. FSD is a pot hole hunter, gets expensive replacing rims and yes even though you have full control and should be able to avoid them, after awhile you get laxed complacent in the technology and along comes that pot hole you couldn't react to in time.

I won't be purchasing FSD for my 2021 Model S, after having FSD for so long and not having it on my 2021. It's fun to show people (kinda like flooring it for a second (feel the power!)), but in the Mid-west all of the above makes it not worth the money unless you're wealthy, then like anything, it's a toy.

Love Tesla for this Tech, but other than for assisting their Robot division, this is really only marketable in the South and West.

Oh, and for all you fools out there making YouTube videos of driving while occupied or visually impaired (reading, eating, Apple Vision, sex, whatever), I hope the police see your YouTube/TikTok videos and use them as evidence in reckless driving charges against you and you lose your license. You're going to kill someone.

Because of a lot of these reasons it just doesn't make since to buy FSD if you live anywhere in the country that actually sees seasonal changes. Usage of FSD can be reduced to 6-8 months of the year, so not like it's going to be out there making you money year around "IF" unmanned FSD ever happens.
I agree in some ways, disagree in others.

First, at this point in time, I don't really understand why anyone would "purchase" FSD....unless maybe you are a you-tuber who is making income from posting FSD videos. I can certainly see subscribing for a month at a time to try things out, or even if driving in new / unfamiliar cities I can see it being useful right now (and warranting a month subscription.) To me, outright "purchasing" it would make much more sense once it is level 3 certified. I can see the path to getting there, just not yet IMO.

That being said, Advanced Autopilot is useful enough today to be an option worthy of purchase if you do enough highway driving.

As for seasonality...I disagree with you there. Yes, FSD performance will degrade with worsening conditions. Just like human drivers. Just like human drivers, you will drive less or choose not to drive at all depending on the conditions. This doesn't mean that FSD is not viable for seasonal locations.

I have parents between 75 and 90 years old living in Northeast USA and upper mid-west. If FSD improvement continues on its current trajectory, I would absolutely recommend a Tesla with FSD...and recommend they use it ALL THE TIME as long as weather conditions permit.

Last edited:
Reactions: sfRonH and JohnB007
I tried FSD for the first time since getting my Model 3 in Feb 2023. 12.3.3 “Supervised” version. I lasted ~1.5 miles before giving up.
  • immediately almost hit another car around an S curve where I started
  • attempted to go 35mph over multiple, large speed bumps
  • Cut into the wrong lane during left turn
  • Turn signal on for the wrong exit and it knew it wasn’t my exit according to the animations
  • Tried to hit a very deep pot hole
  • Didn’t know speed limit was 55mph and was driving at 45mph
I started on a suburban neighborhood road and drove out to the main road which led to the highway.

* FSD was included with my purchase. I did not pay a monthly fee to try this out. I just never use it.

I tried the latest version Saturday night, it was a clear night, I was picking some one up at the airport, trying to get on 285 it missed interstate and took the frontage road. I did not impress the weary traveler that just flew in from Portugal and just wanted to get home.
I am over the science project and was ready to use the product. Not sure when I can trust it or the reviews. I thought the single stack would have learned the interstate roads at the busiest airport by now. They was no construction or traffic, just alpha software at play. It works ok as cruise control and lane assist but as FSD it has a long way to go. and then you have nag management which removes all the benefits of cruise control. It's not that I prefer to drive myself, but watching this beta teenager try to drive my car is still very frustrating. Even the fact that the AI has to ask me why I disengaged. It should know and be apologizing for its behavior and promise to try better next time.
also I miss the cones on the screen and the dancing vehicles around me.

As for seasonality...I disagree with you there. Yes, FSD performance will degrade with worsening conditions. Just like human drivers. Just like human drivers, you will drive less or choose not to drive at all depending on the conditions. This doesn't mean that FSD is not viable for seasonal locations.

When it snows, the cameras are covered. I constantly get warnings about my cameras. FSD would never work in the snow for a Vision-only system. Even if the cameras had heaters, it would be difficult to clear them enough for proper visibility. I have similar issues in the rain and fog.

So long as Tesla insists on relying on a Vision only system, there will be limitations that restrict the usefulness of “FSD,” especially in places with seasonal weather like in these examples. Tesla put themselves in a tough position promising “FSD” for vehicles that don’t have the equipment to bring that to fruition for a large population of potential customers.

When it snows, the cameras are covered. I constantly get warnings about my cameras. FSD would never work in the snow for a Vision-only system. Even if the cameras had heaters, it would be difficult to clear them enough for proper visibility. I have similar issues in the rain and fog.

So long as Tesla insists on relying on a Vision only system, there will be limitations that restrict the usefulness of “FSD,” especially in places with seasonal weather like in these examples. Tesla put themselves in a tough position promising “FSD” for vehicles that don’t have the equipment to bring that to fruition for a large population of potential customers.
Agreed and that is a Lot of Tesla owners. Fog and heavy rain/ snow they fail.
There are days that cleaning the rear camera only makes it a mile or so before being useless. The Chevy Bolt rear cameras have a nice feature of a sprayer and a spinning outer lens to clear the view.
There are drives where pulling over to clean cameras is difficult as well.
I hope they have a better plan in the future that can be a not too expensive retrofit.

Vision + seems like what is needed.

Reactions: primedive
Good review, maybe all the free trial drivers have high expectations with no base point to see the change. I received 5 thumbs down for my exuberance but with no words or explanation. 12.3 met my expectations. I make more mistakes than FSD so maybe it’s me but I find many of the reactions here adolescent. I talked a jet pilot into resubscribing to FSD for the 12 update, I’m looking forward to hearing his reactions. He’s on his 4th Tesla, a 21’ Plaid.

Reactions: Peter N
Not even Tesla can defy the laws of physics.

FSD is not a sensor problem...it's an "intelligence" problem.

With Vision only...one can expect that at the limit, a "vision only" FSD vehicle will be at least as good as the best human driver in such conditions.

I tried the latest version Saturday night, it was a clear night, I was picking some one up at the airport, trying to get on 285 it missed interstate and took the frontage road. I did not impress the weary traveler that just flew in from Portugal and just wanted to get home.
I am over the science project and was ready to use the product. Not sure when I can trust it or the reviews. I thought the single stack would have learned the interstate roads at the busiest airport by now. They was no construction or traffic, just alpha software at play. It works ok as cruise control and lane assist but as FSD it has a long way to go. and then you have nag management which removes all the benefits of cruise control. It's not that I prefer to drive myself, but watching this beta teenager try to drive my car is still very frustrating. Even the fact that the AI has to ask me why I disengaged. It should know and be apologizing for its behavior and promise to try better next time.
also I miss the cones on the screen and the dancing vehicles around me.
Are we expecting too much too soon? 99 or 99.9, this is a big improvement. I’m willing to wait and be patient with 2 steps forward and one step back. What is the alternative? I’ve seen some subtleties

Reactions: Peter N