Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Front-rear camera touchscreen parking protection switch kit reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you tell me if the connection to the backup light 12V power wire is required? I'm planning on using my camera switch in "manual" mode at all times and therefore don't need to detect when the car has been put in Reverse.

I've made the 12V and GND connections to the OBD2 connector and confirmed that they are live using a voltmeter.

After making the camera and center console cables, I still get the "Camera Unavailable" message on my center display.

The only place I deviated from instructions is in the wiring of the Reverse Light 12V power cable.

Can you tell me if the connection to the backup light 12V power wire is required? I'm planning on using my camera switch in "manual" mode at all times and therefore don't need to detect when the car has been put in Reverse.

I've made the 12V and GND connections to the OBD2 connector and confirmed that they are live using a voltmeter.

After making the camera and center console cables, I still get the "Camera Unavailable" message on my center display.

The only place I deviated from instructions is in the wiring of the Reverse Light 12V power cable.

It should work without - I fired mine up before running the trigger and worked fine.
Well... that's after I connected the cables to the correct ports.
I had the error you have, but mine was my fault for hooking up the rear camera cord to the display output on the box. In my haste thought front & rear would be same connector and screen would have the short gender change cord. Not so, gender change cord goes on rear camera.

In my defense, I mounted front camera and wiring over month ago in anticipation of the switch and was in too big hurry to install switch :)

(and p4768 is still doing great, over 26k miles, and my daughter took her driving test in it!)

I suggest hooking the front camera directly up to the switch with the short cable to test the system out. I have a defective long cable from the Chinese manufacturer and get the error message you indicate. While you may not have the same problem, Rick is advising people to test the cable by connecting it to the switch before running the cable through the car.

I never ordered my camera.... I just went to the SC and they had one in stock.

Same here. I called my service center in the afternoon, they had one camera in stock, my service advisor set it aside for me to pick up after work.

Good idea. My closest SC is still a bit of a hike away, but luckily, I need to be in that area tomorrow.

I'm also investigating how quickly we might be able to get the Tesla OEM cables and what they'll cost. It's a bit more complicated as the long Tesla cable requires gender changes where it connects to the camera and the PCB. I'll post ASAP what I find out.

I suggest hooking the front camera directly up to the switch with the short cable to test the system out. I have a defective long cable from the Chinese manufacturer and get the error message you indicate. While you may not have the same problem, Rick is advising people to test the cable by connecting it to the switch before running the cable through the car.

I have a defective long cable. Bummer. Rick has been amazing at communicating and working on the solution.

The camera works when connected directly to the box and I can switch inputs using the remote. I've applied 12v and GND to the box only. Not planning on automatic switching when in Reverse since I keep the rear camera on most of the time. I'll only switch to front camera for tight parking situations.

@Jason: Great to hear that my former 60KWH is on the road. My daughter took her drivers test in my Model S as well. A last minute swap after discovering that mom's minivan registration had expired earlier that week!

Just heard from the Chinese company supplying the cables. They make other cables of the same length as the long Tesla camera cable but with different pin outs and it seems they mixed them up. I've asked them to express ship the correct long cable to each cable kit buyer. They haven't responded to this request yet but I'll confirm when they do.

So artsci, does that mean quite a few cables shipped were wrong, or only one or two? Reason I ask if if they are shipping me a new cable I will wait to begin installing until the new one arrives.

I've demanded that they ship a new long cable to everyone who ordered the kit. As it's impossible to know who has good or bad cables that will cover everyone. So yes, I would wait to do the final installation. But I would do everything else so when the cable arrives it only need to be installed as the last step.

Just as a data point, I've been in contact with someone from that company regarding a misdirected package (not mine). Today I got a follow-up email and the person asked if I had trouble with the long cable. All the email conversations were in a very friendly and professional tone.

I can't be certain, but I get the feeling that they will make sure that everyone gets a functioning cable set, even though help from Rick may be needed.

No problem with the cables in my kit--everything works well. I am, however noticing that my front camera seems to be overheating when it sits at work all day in the sun. I get a "camera not available" message when I first get into the car and then as I start driving it eventually starts working. I can switch to the rear view with no problems.

Anyone else seeing this?