Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes but regardless of the accuracy of the replica, it will still get you a squad car ride for a "fake ID"

Even though you could produce the original on demand?

I agree that it's something that will be "try it and see" and "YMMV" -- not something I'm willing to risk for limited benefit.

having said that, I plan to try not putting the front plate on and taking my chances.

Even though you could produce the original on demand?

I agree that it's something that will be "try it and see" and "YMMV" -- not something I'm willing to risk for limited benefit.

having said that, I plan to try not putting the front plate on and taking my chances.

A forgery is a forgery. The only way a paper drivers license works is when you get a temporary one from the DMV. The same thing goes for license plates, but in Texas it's from the tax office.

The only way a paper drivers license works is when you get a temporary one from the DMV. The same thing goes for license plates, but in Texas it's from the tax office.
Paper (copy of) a TDL also "works" to authenticate a signed power-of-attorney for the purpose of title transfer, in lieu of the seller accompanying the buyer to the tax office in person.
I have a front plate, so no 'skin in this game,' but find the discussion very interesting.

Paper (copy of) a TDL also "works" to authenticate a signed power-of-attorney for the purpose of title transfer, in lieu of the seller accompanying the buyer to the tax office in person.
I have a front plate, so no 'skin in this game,' but find the discussion very interesting.

The context I was referring to was in the presence of a police officer that pulls you over for having a fake license plate on your car ;)

I did receive a ticket for not having a front plate on my Honda about 10 years ago in Palo Alto, CA. I was parked in a 2 hour time limit spot, downtown. The meter maid kept track of the time the cars had been parked by the plate number (not chalk), I think. He must have walked by the front, unable to read a plate, and simply given me a ticket.

I had had to pay a fee (about $50??) and -worst part- show up and have it inspected at the police department. They had to sign something saying I had fixed it. I didn't mind the fee. The hour I had to waste on the inspection was annoying and made me subsequently alway run with a front plate.

But, I still wonder, has anyone every received a ticket for no front plate? I have heard this is a BIG issue driving into LAX airport, but other than that? Is it still a fix-it ticket?

Depends on where you are. Here in Ontario, Canada I don't believe you can go very long without a ticket unless you live near the Quebec border. Quebec does not require front plates and cops are probably more used to seeing cars without them and will leave you alone.

I like this idea very muchly! I wonder about using toggle-bolt drywall anchors instead of the bolt/hooks? Then you wouldn't have to cut off the bolts to keep them from sticking out the front too far... Even easier, perhaps?

View attachment 25171

I just did the setup off the youtube video with 3" toggle bolts instead of J hooks like Andrew was thinking about. Overall nice solution. I'd get longer bolts next time. Had to push in the bracket to cover the distance from the bracket to the grill. And the honeycomb openings in the grill aren't big enough for the toggle wings to pass through without bending them a little to widen the gap. But it was all good otherwise.

I did receive a ticket for not having a front plate on my Honda about 10 years ago in Palo Alto, CA. I was parked in a 2 hour time limit spot, downtown. The meter maid kept track of the time the cars had been parked by the plate number (not chalk), I think. He must have walked by the front, unable to read a plate, and simply given me a ticket.

I had had to pay a fee (about $50??) and -worst part- show up and have it inspected at the police department. They had to sign something saying I had fixed it. I didn't mind the fee. The hour I had to waste on the inspection was annoying and made me subsequently alway run with a front plate.

The statistics in CA are that 10% do not have a front plate. If an officer wishes to ticket you, you might mention that xx number of cars have passed without a front plate -- but I wouldn't.

My last infraction I used Velcro. The law says "affixed". The officer came out, wiggled the plate, it did not fall off, and he signed it off. Then I drove off a block and removed it. That was 5 cars ago.

It is almost in the realm of having to walk in front of your car waving a red flag to warn oncoming cars. There is no need for a front plate but to use laser radar, and that has improved so that a front plate is not necessary for that.

The statistics in CA are that 10% do not have a front plate. If an officer wishes to ticket you, you might mention that xx number of cars have passed without a front plate -- but I wouldn't.

My last infraction I used Velcro. The law says "affixed". The officer came out, wiggled the plate, it did not fall off, and he signed it off. Then I drove off a block and removed it. That was 5 cars ago.

It is almost in the realm of having to walk in front of your car waving a red flag to warn oncoming cars. There is no need for a front plate but to use laser radar, and that has improved so that a front plate is not necessary for that.

Actually, I think law enforcement says that the argument for having a front plate is that it makes it easier to identify stolen vehicles or vehicles of interest. In other words, if a video shows a vehicle involved in a hit & run, or even worse, a major terrorist attack...if it has both front and rear plates it will make it easier to identify via security and dash cam videos.

However, I am running with no plate in Texas and crossing my fingers. Around the Dallas area, if you see a nice vehicle (BMW, Merc, Audi, Porsche, etc.) I would say there is probably a greater than 60% chance it does not have a front plate.

However, I am running with no plate in Texas and crossing my fingers. Around the Dallas area, if you see a nice vehicle (BMW, Merc, Audi, Porsche, etc.) I would say there is probably a greater than 60% chance it does not have a front plate.

Same here. I was given a warning a month ago by a state trooper for no front plate. I'm sure it would have been a ticket if I didn't have my CHL handy ;)

It is required in Calif and it does serve a function if you use HOV lanes or drive through fastrak toll bridge lanes. Their cameras read the license.

When I picked up my new car last week I had Tesla install the front license plate frame right there in Fremont. They had a custom black plastic solid plate holder made for them that fits neatly below the T. The bottom of the back of this plate wraps around the bottom of the grill. They do not want you to put it over the air vents on the bottom. The service manager also warned me to not use a decorative cover frame over the plate. That can cause the radar sensors to be erratic and show alerts when there are no cars in front of you. He also suggested flexing the plate to maintain the curve of the nose.