Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

free trial of FSD; questions galore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on 2024.8.9
Will 2024.8.9 need to be updated to something else via over the air update?
Will I get an email?
Do I need to check for it on the Tesla website?
Will there be a Tesla app message?
Will there be a message on the screen and where will it be?
Will I not get it because I've previously subscribed to earlier versions.
Will the offer run out before 2024.8.9 gets updated.
If I get the offer and can't use it for an awhile (out of the (country, hospital etc.) will it expire after a while?

I'm on 2024.8.9
Will 2024.8.9 need to be updated to something else via over the air update?

Yes at some undetermined point in the future. Those of us for whom this is not our first rodeo would say, "in two weeks of elon time."
Will I get an email?
Do I need to check for it on the Tesla website?
Will there be a Tesla app message?
Will there be a message on the screen and where will it be?

You will see the orange download available arrow in the top right corner of your screen (at least on a MY) and in your app it will say "Update Available."

Will I not get it because I've previously subscribed to earlier versions.

No, you'll get it when tesla engineers catch up to what lord elon promised.
Will the offer run out before 2024.8.9 gets updated.
Not according to best guess. It was promised to everyone and it runs for 30 days after you install the version with FSDV12.
If I get the offer and can't use it for an awhile (out of the (country, hospital etc.) will it expire after a while?

Unknown. If you get the download offer, you do not have to download and install immediately. I, for instance, commonly skip 3, 4, 5. updates in a row and only update once or twice a year unless an update borks something on the car. Then I'm desperately updating along with everyone else, hoping a fix is coming (except I've now given up on the fix for the wipers.)

If you install immediately, the trial starts and it will end before you can try it out if you are not able to drive in that time frame.

If you don't install immediately, I don't know if the offer will time-out. I doubt anyone knows.

It’s my understanding that the free trial uses FSD v12, which is not yet available in the 2024.8.x branch. I don’t know if there’s a time limit for the free trial promotion, but if not, you’ll get it whenever FSD v12 makes it to the 2024.8.x branch and that build is pushed to your car. You’ll receive both an email and a message in the app when your trial begins, and it will last 30 days.

It’s my understanding that the free trial uses FSD v12, which is not yet available in the 2024.8.x branch. I don’t know if there’s a time limit for the free trial promotion, but if not, you’ll get it whenever FSD v12 makes it to the 2024.8.x branch and that build is pushed to your car. You’ll receive both an email and a message in the app when your trial begins, and it will last 30 days.
Thanks EV rider in Florida.

Yes at some undetermined point in the future. Those of us for whom this is not our first rodeo would say, "in two weeks of elon time."

You will see the orange download available arrow in the top right corner of your screen (at least on a MY) and in your app it will say "Update Available."

Not according to best guess. It was promised to everyone and it runs for 30 days after you install the version with FSDV12.

Unknown. If you get the download offer, you do not have to download and install immediately. I, for instance, commonly skip 3, 4, 5. updates in a row and only update once or twice a year unless an update borks something on the car. Then I'm desperately updating along with everyone else, hoping a fix is coming (except I've now given up on the fix for the wipers.)

If you install immediately, the trial starts and it will end before you can try it out if you are not able to drive in that time frame.

If you don't install immediately, I don't know if the offer will time-out. I doubt anyone knows.
thanks

Thank you for your effort in replying to all those questions