Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford EVs by 2012

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, they had been taking some "pot shots" at Nissan over the Leaf 3.3kW charger saying they could charge twice as fast (6.6kW).
But, Nissan could counter with "over 7 times faster" once they have enough CHAdeMO around the USA to actually advertise it as a feature.

Did anyone else get the survey? I did and really let them have it. Poor execution. Inadequate statistics, battery too small, Likely too heavy, no range listed, no charging protocol or rate listed. Finally, I was less likely to buy any Ford product after reading this release.

I did and answered similarly, also mentioning the storage space, or lack thereof. I thought that with "My Ford Touch" etc. that Ford was "getting" the new tech. But this car is a complete embarrassment! Take a Focus, rip out the engine and replace it with a similar volume of EV equipment and fill the trunk up with batteries. Wow. Garage conversions do a better job. :mad: Simply pathetic.

Ford Focus Electric

Design News - Captain Hybrid - Slideshow: Focus Electric Vehicle Hits Production Line

The Focus Electric, which carries no gasoline onboard, will go head-to-head with the Nissan Leaf and will be the only other high-volume BEV to be marketed by a major automaker. In many respects, it will be similar to the Leaf, offering a miles-per-gallon-equivalent figure of around 100 and an all-electric range between 70 and 100 miles. The new vehicle's major differences are that it will charge in about half the time, will cost slightly more than the Leaf, and will be built in a flexible setting that can handle large or small production volumes .

Hurst says that most electric vehicle makers are as yet treading lightly and not expecting huge sales numbers for the Leaf, Focus, or any other BEV in 2012. "These companies aren't looking for big numbers right out of the gate," he says. "We're still seeing questions because there are a lot of new technologies here, and everyone wants to be sure they're ready."

And still no announced range. This reminds me of Fisker claiming cars were to be delivered shortly, but no one had driven one yet.

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/Ford_Allelectric_Vehicle.pdf

23kWh battery, it's lower and sleeker than the Leaf (though still pretty big). So, I'm guessing range is a bit less than the Leaf - maybe 60mi real?

It sure does look better (they were in the garage at my building, still with manufacturer plates on) than the Leaf. But it has the disadvantages of a conversion (taking away hatch back space for the battery, for example).

As a specialized "around town" car, 60 miles would work for me just fine. Admittedly, I live 1.4 miles from Boston's City Hall, so a 20-miles radius around my house encompasses a very dense trove of destinations. Before we bought a summer place up in Maine, a vehicle like this would have made a perfect second car for us.