Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fog Lights Gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked my car up today, and the touchscreen still has the fog light setting. I can definitely see the cornering lights work at night. I asked my DS about this and he said something like they were told to stop referring to them as fog lights.

Cornering lamps are not the fog lamps. The fog lamps on my Sig point forward, the cornering lamps point off to the side when you turn. The "fog" button turns on and off the front-facing lamps when the headlamps are on.

Here are some photos of the fog lights on my MS. My MS is VIN 1646, has the tech package and it was delivered on 12/11. With my MS, I can definitely see the 3 different lights when it is turned on - headlights, fog lights and cornering lights. In these pictures, the headlights are fog lights are turned on

IMG_3743A.jpg

IMG_3744A.jpg

IMG_3745A.jpg

Cornering lamps are not the fog lamps. The fog lamps on my Sig point forward, the cornering lamps point off to the side when you turn. The "fog" button turns on and off the front-facing lamps when the headlamps are on.

Yes, I get that they are different. Mine definitely has the cornering lights and has the "Fog Light" setting on the touch screen. I haven't turned the fog lights on yet to see what they do. I was curious because the web site spec page has removed Fog Lights from the list of options on the Tech Package and I was curious to know if the feature had been removed. I asked my DS about it and he said they were told to stop promoting the fact that they had fog lights (or something similar to that).

Note that the fog lights will only illuminate when the headlights are on low-beam setting, in spite of how the button may look active on your 17" display. e.g. if your lights are in "off" or in "parking lights" mode (headlights off), you cannot illuminate the fog lights. If the headlight high beams are on, the fog lights are not illuminated.

I assumed the "cornering lights", which illuminate when you are turning tighter than a certain radius, are white lights which illuminate from the same area as the yellow light shown in the picture above. There is a mirror-looking thing in that area of the light cluster. I assume that the white cornering light is extremely close to the yellow light thing. This would be easy to test in a parking lot with a friend, but I have neither of those handy.

Well, I can confirm that my car (with Tech Pkg) does NOT have fog lights. Either that, or they don't work. I was parked in front of a glass window today and did a little experiment. I turned on the low beam headlights and could see all of the lights were on, including the vertical accent light on the "fog light" assembly. I then tried turning the fog lights on and off -- nothing on either side. Odd that the button would be there on the touchscreen if there are no fog lights present (I wonder if the button is there on non-Tech Pkg cars?). I do know that the cornering lights are working, having seen them in action at night.

I have to admit I'm a little miffed. The car is already light on the options as it is, and Fog Lights were listed when I reserved. I'm not sure when they dropped off the options list, and whether they were there or not when I finalized. I would expect Tesla still has to make the assembly in order to repair vehicles that are collision damaged.

Well, I can confirm that my car (with Tech Pkg) does NOT have fog lights. Either that, or they don't work. I was parked in front of a glass window today and did a little experiment. I turned on the low beam headlights and could see all of the lights were on, including the vertical accent light on the "fog light" assembly. I then tried turning the fog lights on and off -- nothing on either side. Odd that the button would be there on the touchscreen if there are no fog lights present (I wonder if the button is there on non-Tech Pkg cars?). I do know that the cornering lights are working, having seen them in action at night.

I have to admit I'm a little miffed. The car is already light on the options as it is, and Fog Lights were listed when I reserved. I'm not sure when they dropped off the options list, and whether they were there or not when I finalized. I would expect Tesla still has to make the assembly in order to repair vehicles that are collision damaged.

Can you post a photo of your lights, specifically the bottom light assembly, drivers side?

Sent via Tapatalk

The headlights have to be on; otherwise the fogs will not activate. Try manually setting the Headlights to on.

Try it at night. It's very obvious from inside the car when the fogs are turned on (assuming you're not directly under a very bright streetlight).

The headlights have to be on; otherwise the fogs will not activate. Try manually setting the Headlights to on.

Try it at night. It's very obvious from inside the car when the fogs are turned on (assuming you're not directly under a very bright streetlight).

Okay, I may have to eat some crow on this one. :redface: When I got home into my darkened garage, I tried it again and I could definitely see them come on against my garage wall. In my defense, however they absolutely didn't come on when I was out earlier and was observing my lights against a storefront glass window. I had turned the low beams on manually and could see every light in the store window and the fog lights did not come on when I tried to turn them on from the touchscreen. I am wondering if they are somehow tied to the ambient light sensor, because it was dark in my garage (dash switched to night mode and auto headlights came on).

I talked to someone at Tesla Seattle and they said the fog lights were discontinued somewhere in the 7 thousands. I'm P8461 and I have the tech package and there are no fog lights. It's blacked out where the fog lights should be, but I still have cornering lights. I'm a little frustrated because when I ordered the car the fog lights were part of the tech package. If Tesla is just going to discontinue something they need to let their customers know why. I've seen some complaints about people getting flashed because the fog lights are too bright so I can only assume that's why they were discontinued.

Fog Lights Discontinued?

I talked to someone at Tesla Seattle and they said the fog lights were discontinued somewhere in the 7 thousands. I'm P8461 and I have the tech package and there are no fog lights. It's blacked out where the fog lights should be, but I still have cornering lights. I'm a little frustrated because when I ordered the car the fog lights were part of the tech package. If Tesla is just going to discontinue something they need to let their customers know why. I've seen some complaints about people getting flashed because the fog lights are too bright so I can only assume that's why they were discontinued.

yeah, it's off the teslamotors website too:
Seems like the delivered product ought to be what was described at the time the MVPA was signed.

Tech PackageTakes the most technologically advanced vehicle ever produced to the next level. Use of innovative lighting increases efficiency. The Touchscreen becomes more informative with turn-by-turn navigation and unprecedented rear cargo space opens with the touch of a button. Delight in the following features:

• Xenon headlights
  • Electrochromatic side mirrors
  • LED cornering lights
  • Convenience lighting

• Power rear liftgate
  • High definition back-up camera
  • Homelink with location awareness

• Navigation system with
    seven years of free map updates
  • Automatic keyless entry
  • Memory seats

While it is unfortunate that Tesla removed these from the car without notice, it is important to note that I think people are getting flashed because the headlights are aimed too high. I don't run with my fog lights on, and I got flashed all the time until I had the service center lower the angle of the headlights.

The reference to fog lights was removed from the web site at least as far back as February, so presumably most people missing them did in fact order after they were no longer promised.

Edit: Using the "wayback machine" the reference to fog lights was dropped from the website sometime between Feb 7th and Feb 16th.

Last edited: