Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fog Lights Gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I e-mailed Elon directly, and believe it or not, he actually replied back with this:

You're right, we should have said something. Essentially, the "fog" lights were not actually helpful in a fog or in any reasonable scenario we could envision, and were actually bad in some situations. They made Model S worse, so they were deleted.

Well I e-mailed Elon directly, and believe it or not, he actually replied back with this:

You're right, we should have said something. Essentially, the "fog" lights were not actually helpful in a fog or in any reasonable scenario we could envision, and were actually bad in some situations. They made Model S worse, so they were deleted.

OH MY GOD. How can I get them removed???

I mentioned this earlier, but what if a fog lamp equipped car gets in an accident or a stone takes out one of the fogs? Would a broken assembly get replaced with a non-fog light assembly leaving the car with a fog light on only one side? Seems unlikely. I would think Tesla would have to manufacture and stock replacement parts. (Both of the fogs on my wife's Pontiac Vibe are smashed from stones).

I talked to someone at Tesla Seattle and they said the fog lights were discontinued somewhere in the 7 thousands. I'm P8461 and I have the tech package and there are no fog lights. It's blacked out where the fog lights should be, but I still have cornering lights. I'm a little frustrated because when I ordered the car the fog lights were part of the tech package. If Tesla is just going to discontinue something they need to let their customers know why. I've seen some complaints about people getting flashed because the fog lights are too bright so I can only assume that's why they were discontinued.

The fog lights on Model S make zero difference IMO, there may be an avalanche of posts disagreeing with that statement, but I don't see much point in having them and I suspect that's why Tesla discontinued them. As I say, just my opinion but I don't think you're missing anything. Now communication is a whole other discussion.....

I wonder why they were bad? I have them and they look cool. If they are not good or bad in actuality, better just to keep them as they look cool

The fog lights on Model S make zero difference IMO, there may be an avalanche of posts disagreeing with that statement, but I don't see much point in having them and I suspect that's why Tesla discontinued them. As I say, just my opinion but I don't think you're missing anything. Now communication is a whole other discussion.....

Okay, but I don't see any reflection of the change in the price of the Tech Package. I hate these "hidden" price increases no matter how trivial. My car did end up coming with them, but I was unsure whether they'd be there or not until I actually got the car. I certainly hope it was out of the list of features at the time anyone who doesn't get them reserved.

I think the fogs also put out a wider light pattern. I can see curbs and whatnot much easier when they are on.

But honestly didn't notice a real difference when it was foggy. And without the ability to easily manipulate lights while driving I find that you either look like a pompous ass and drive with your fogs on all the time, or you turn them off and never have them even in the fog.

At least the Model S doesn't have a rear fog. I can't stand people that have those on unless in HEAVY rain, or HEAVY fog.

WHY DON'T THEY HAVE A *** D*MN UPDATE/RELEASE/NOTIFICATION SYSTEM IN PLACE

forgive the caps but if your familiar with my postings I get really pissed off every time Tesla "secretly makes a change" that takes away a stated feature without any public notification and thus secretly decreases the value of the model S without customers knowledge. Each time they remove a hardware related feature and do not correspondingly decrease the price of the car, they are increasing their margins and profits. THIS IS DEFINITELY VERY BAD BUSINESS and frankly REALLY PISSES ME OFF. I feel like they keep making these changes and they "hope we're stupid and don't notice". clearly we are not stupid people here on this forum, made up of engineers, doctors, etc etc. They won't slide anything by us. I have such high regards for Tesla and their engineers. But somebody's gotta get control of their number crunchers and stop them from ripping off any more features that their customers paid for. AND IF YOU DO TAKE AWAY A PAID FEATURE OF THE VEHICLE, YOU SHOULD NOTIFY EVERYONE, BOTH EXISTING OWNERS & CURRENT RESERVATION HOLDERS AND ALSO DECREASE THE PRICE OF THE CAR. period. stop ripping off your customers like this.

At least I did at the right time to have the non-signature nose-cone, alcantara headliner, leather wrapped lower dash, reading lights, and fog lights. If I was still waiting for the car and got screwed on the headliner and fog lights, I would be 100x more pissed off than I am right now.

The reference to fog lights was removed from the web site at least as far back as February, so presumably most people missing them did in fact order after they were no longer promised.

Edit: Using the "wayback machine" the reference to fog lights was dropped from the website sometime between Feb 7th and Feb 16th.
If it was already gone in the MVPA and when people signed it, then I suppose it's fair, but I guess it puts the burden on the consumer to look thoroughly at everything before they sign.

This also means it may be a mess when someone is looking to buy a used Model S since some cars have some features and some don't because Tesla discontinued it. Usually automakers wait for the model year change (although there may be examples where changes happened mid-model year, also unannounced).

Perhaps we need a tracker for discontinued features.

Last edited:
People may have to get used to a new way of delivering cars (updated on the fly and not once a year). I agree, as long as they don't remove a feature after you sign the MPVA then it should be ok.

the reverse. LOL. but the big difference is that when they add features they actually tell us about it!!

Then let's see a little excitement over the rear floor mats. Because so far, you're pretty calm:

are they going to be shipping the rear mats, frunk, and trunk mats to all existing owners that didn't get them?

Okay, but I don't see any reflection of the change in the price of the Tech Package. I hate these "hidden" price increases no matter how trivial. My car did end up coming with them, but I was unsure whether they'd be there or not until I actually got the car. I certainly hope it was out of the list of features at the time anyone who doesn't get them reserved.

Wow, I finally get to complain about something :smile:. Those of us who were waiting for a feature to come into production are the ones who are primarily impacted. Regardless of the effectiveness of the lights, I agree that this is a hidden price increase. A feature was promised as part of the package I finalized then taken away with no communication and no offset. I guess I'm part of the club now.