Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flush your brake fluid!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Synthetic and DOT 3/4 brake fluid is not exclusive. You can have both - the benefits of synthetic DOT4 fluid is high resistance to overheating and resulting brake fade.

You are probably thinking of DOT5 brake fluid. DOT5 brake fluid is silicone based and does NOT absorb water. But don't go thinking that this solves the brake change interval problem.

Because DOT5 does not absorb fluid, instead what happens is that the water that gets in forms bubbles in the system, creating localized areas where high rates of corrosion can occur - or if this water is close to the brake calipers, very easily boiled fluid.

So if anything, regular flushes of DOT5 fluid is even more important than DOT4.

Thanks. I appriciate your, and Strider's, informative posts. I was equating silicone with synethic. Sounds like cost and corrosion kept DOT5 fluid to niche applications. I suspected the former, but not the latter. I see they are working on a DOT 5.1 now....

GSP

Thanks. I appriciate your, and Strider's, informative posts. I was equating silicone with synethic. Sounds like cost and corrosion kept DOT5 fluid to niche applications. I suspected the former, but not the latter. I see they are working on a DOT 5.1 now....

GSP
Yep, and just to keep it interesting, DOT 5.1 is polyethylene-glycol based like DOT 3 and 4 and so is not related to DOT 5 :)