Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fleet learning NOT activated by default in 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really can't understand why but it have been reported on the Swedish forum that data sharing for fleet learning is NOT activated by default in 8.0 so everybody have to activate it if you want to help tesla improve autopilot.

Go to controls>settings>Safety and security and then activate "Data sharing"

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

Surely this means that Tesla's advanced radar (lidar) mode is going to be severely hobbled in the EU as a result.
I assume this is the data that Tesla will correlate false radar alarms eg bridges with speed to generate a radar "ignore" dataset.

I'll bet that most owners (in particular the ones not here on TMC) will just see Datasharing and hit Decline as a point of principle, without fully understanding the implications.

That of course will compromise the data for the entire fleet including those who have agreed.

I thought that the cars talked back to Tesla every day with anonymized data anyway, so I'm not entirely clear why this has to be a separate decision

I hope Tesla find a way around this.

Indeed; all cars may be fleet-learning but there won't be a lot to learn from if only readers of TMC activate data sharing (and die-hards who found this out by themselves - that the feature was "opt-in" was not advertised in the release notes, I believe).

At the very least, at every visit of a non fleet-teaching Tesla to a Service Center, and at every new delivery, the salesperson should be holding the right hand of the driver to guide him through the opt-in procedure! Otherwise we're never going to have more than a few hundred fleet-teaching cars in the EU...

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Much easier way for Tesla to do it is to tie the fleet learning to free Internet connectivity - they will need to provide a way to plug in a Sim card though for those who choose to not participate in fleet learning. Many give up their data for free stuff (using free apps anyone, free search engines?).

As for "anonymizing" data, that is pretty much impossible to do perfectly for many technical reasons.