Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I can see how Elon used the word mediocre to describe the Fisker because on many levels it is an "average" product.
“It’s a mediocre product at a high price,” Musk said...

Splitting hairs. Whether he used the word to mean average or worse, in context he definitely meant it negatively. Engineering wise I agree with him.

“It’s a mediocre product at a high price,” Musk said...

Splitting hairs. Whether he used the word to mean average or worse, in context he definitely meant it negatively. Engineering wise I agree with him.

I agree as well. I suspect most (all?) engineers that have looked at the Karma will also concur. Elon is just calling them like he sees them.

GSP

Software Upgrades

I'm a bit slow, I guess. I just read the Fisker Town Hall FAQ over at FiskerBuzz, which said in part:

Q. Will software updates be provided to existing customers free of charge?
A. Specific warranty issues that require flash updates will be performed under the normal terms of the Fisker warranty. We strive to continuously improve our product features. In the future, software upgrades which improve functionality, navigation or other features may be made available and can be installed at the request of an owner by an authorized Fisker Retailer for a fee.

So far, Tesla hasn't charged anyone for any software update on Roadster. With Model S supporting wireless updating, I would expect that Tesla will continue to provide free software updates/upgrades. Speculation on FB was that the fee wasn't so much to make money, but to keep all owners from flooding service every time a new version is available. It'll be interesting to see whether the navigation exclusion from free is just for map updates or for actual functionality, the latter is a common item of complaint among Fisker owners.

Wireless updating is smart on Tesla's part. It keeps customers running the latest and greatest, which means all cars have the best performance and less issues that might otherwise make them come in for service. It keeps customers happy, and still provides for new applications to be sold. Auto-updating of DirecTV and Chrome have been working out well for me.

Of course, there's still the possibility that Tesla will see fit to charge for new apps that can run in the car. I guess we'll cross that bridge if we get to it.

Also from smorgasbord's fiskerbuzz link:

"A123 Battery Exchange
Q. What is the status of the battery exchange program?
A. The program is on track to begin in Q4 of 2012 once supplies of new battery packs are available.

Q. How do I know if my battery is affected, and when will it be replaced?
A. We are in the process of determining the specific VINs that are affected by the A123 battery exchange program. We will be proactively replacing all battery packs throughout the year. You will be notified later this year if your vehicle is affected."

I wonder if Fisker owners with defective battery cells will get them replaced. An A123 bankrupty may put the financial burden on Fisker, and they are not in great financial shape either.

GSP

So we had our first "EVer" Karma owners drive yesterday - very fun "EVent" that concluded with a signed NDA and a tour of their design studio! About 29 Karmas in total, more info at FB: First EVer Karma Owners Drive - A Success!

7872989574_a3c81e320d_h.jpg