Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First worries about the Model 3 - interior size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been waiting for a Model 3 for quite some time. I'm ready to head to Natick and plunk down $1,000 for a reservation on March 31 - even taking the day off work.

But something I read in another post got me thinking and researching.. Musk has said repeatedly that the BMW 3-series is the 'target' for the Model 3. No problem there. I drive a 2002 Toyota Camry and was thinking that, the next step down in size from the Model S (which was the size of my old Dodge Intrepid) would be roughly Camry-sized.

So I looked things up on fueleconomy.gov.

I was right that the Model S was about the size (inside) of my Intrepid. Both were classified as "large cars".
My Camry is classified as a "Mid sized" car.
The BMW 3-series is a COMPACT! This puts it in the same classification as the Toyota Corolla and the *Yaris*!

This is not exactly what I wanted to see - and not what I was hoping for...

My Camry is just about perfectly sized for everything I ever do... My daughter has a Corolla and, believe me, I know how much smaller THAT car is...

My hope is that the Model 3 will be able to take advantage of the whole "no internal combustion engine and associated parts" thing to feel as comfortable as my Camry does..

Have you been in a 3 Series and decided if it is enough room for you? The 3 series is much bigger than all of its competitors and much more roomy than a Corolla. I doubt that the Model 3 will be as large as a 3 series and a fraction the size of an intrepid. I bet the Model 3 will be Camry size with a couple inches less in rear leg and head room.

Unfortunately, we likely won't know actual size for at least a year, or maybe two

My hope is that the Model 3 will be able to take advantage of the whole "no internal combustion engine and associated parts" thing to feel as comfortable as my Camry does..

It should. The lack of ICE-related drivetrain components will be a big plus for the Model 3. The overall floor height may be slightly higher due to the battery pack, however there will be no driveshaft "hump" or transmission "doghouse." This should make for a very roomy interior for its size. I am not concerned about the Model 3 being cramped.

Looking at the specs on Edmunds (first number is BMW 328, second is Camry LE)

Front Head Room: 40.3 in / 38.8 in
Front Shoulder Room: 55.1in / 58.0in
Front Leg Room: 42.0in / 41.6 in
Rear Head Room: 37.7in / 38.1in
Rear Shoulder Room: 55.1in / 56.6in
Rear Leg Room: 35.1in / 38.9 in

The seem pretty comparable to me; perhaps the rear room is a bit tighter on the BMW. If they follow the same silhouette for the M3 that they did for the MS, I would expect rear headroom to be a bit tight.

I don't think these are the first worries.
There is apparently so much more to be worried or concerned about if you scan the rest of the Model 3 forum :)

From the numbers omarsultan quoted, it's more the "shoulder" room that I would be concerned about. Neither my wife nor I are very tall and the back seat isn't used OFTEN but it does occasionally have occupants.

So I suppose I should have titled the thread "*My* first worries" :) None of the other concerns worry me much - other than price and hoping I can get the options I want without blowing a hole in my budget.

I've been waiting for a Model 3 for quite some time. I'm ready to head to Natick and plunk down $1,000 for a reservation on March 31 - even taking the day off work.

But something I read in another post got me thinking and researching.. Musk has said repeatedly that the BMW 3-series is the 'target' for the Model 3. No problem there. I drive a 2002 Toyota Camry and was thinking that, the next step down in size from the Model S (which was the size of my old Dodge Intrepid) would be roughly Camry-sized.

So I looked things up on fueleconomy.gov.

I was right that the Model S was about the size (inside) of my Intrepid. Both were classified as "large cars".
My Camry is classified as a "Mid sized" car.
The BMW 3-series is a COMPACT! This puts it in the same classification as the Toyota Corolla and the *Yaris*!

This is not exactly what I wanted to see - and not what I was hoping for...

My Camry is just about perfectly sized for everything I ever do... My daughter has a Corolla and, believe me, I know how much smaller THAT car is...

Won't be as roomy as a large car, but should be roomy for its size. Like the Bolt.

This thread is eye opening. I realized that the Model 3 would be smaller than the S, and I've heard that they're targeting the BMW 3-series market, but my last car (before the S) was a mid-size, not a compact... hmm... well I'm still putting a deposit down, but I guess I'd need to sit in one before confirming my order in 2-5 years.

I've sat in quite a few BMW 3-series vehicles, both slightly older and the newest models. I'd be coming from a Nissan Altima and know that the Model 3 will most likely be smaller (especially to accommodate European drivers), but as long as it has the same size interior as a 3-series (and still able to look nice!!!) then I won't have a problem with it. ESPECIALLY as long as I'm comfortable as the driver!

I went from a Mercedes 320 cdi to a VW Sportwagen (which I sold last spring after it only got driven 100 miles in 3 months - $7.50 per mile in depreciation alone...).

The Mercedes was much more fun and nicer to drive in almost every way but size. It was big. I really liked the smaller width of the VW. And it didn't feel like there was any space sacrifice in the front row. And the back row was only tight if there were three people.

IMG_0140.JPG

I'm really hoping 3 is similar to the Sportwagen in size.

The Smart is tiny:

20150705_184512_020.jpg

but then of course it doesn't go far. And it carries a surprising amount of Stuff:

IMG_20150702_102038332_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150819_214525101.jpg
20150809_173809_165_x.jpg

I have a similar concern. As a performing classical musician, any car I ever purchase will have to pass what I call the "cello test." That is, I have to be able to easily fit my cello into the car, preferably in the back seat. For reference, my current daily driver is a 2002 Saturn SL2, and it barely passes the test - it's just barely wide enough for me to slip the cello into the back seat, but it does fit so the test is passed.

For the Model 3, I will probably (but not definitely) be willing to put down a deposit before the cars are shipping, but I won't be willing to confirm any order until I can give it the cello test. My instinct (which could prove wrong) is that the Model 3 will be similar in size to my Saturn, which means it will probably pass the test. I will still need to check to be sure.

In 2 or 3 years, don't be surprised if I'm on the Mountain/Southwest forum asking if any local owners of the Model 3 are willing to let me check out the interior size in relation to my cello!

I guess I'm just not that concerned about the size. I have had cars from very small sub-compact up to 'sedans don't even come in that size anymore'. I know it will be larger than the Echo and Matrix that we have now, and smaller than the 1980 Chevy Impala station wagon that I used to have. And we've taken family vacations in the Echo - all 4 of us - so anything in the considerable range between those two sizes, I can make it work.

I have a similar concern. As a performing classical musician, any car I ever purchase will have to pass what I call the "cello test." That is, I have to be able to easily fit my cello into the car, preferably in the back seat. For reference, my current daily driver is a 2002 Saturn SL2, and it barely passes the test - it's just barely wide enough for me to slip the cello into the back seat, but it does fit so the test is passed.

For the Model 3, I will probably (but not definitely) be willing to put down a deposit before the cars are shipping, but I won't be willing to confirm any order until I can give it the cello test. My instinct (which could prove wrong) is that the Model 3 will be similar in size to my Saturn, which means it will probably pass the test. I will still need to check to be sure.

In 2 or 3 years, don't be surprised if I'm on the Mountain/Southwest forum asking if any local owners of the Model 3 are willing to let me check out the interior size in relation to my cello!

Does folding down the rear seats count? If so it will definitely pass the test.

I went from a Mercedes 320 cdi to a VW Sportwagen (which I sold last spring after it only got driven 100 miles in 3 months - $7.50 per mile in depreciation alone...).

The Mercedes was much more fun and nicer to drive in almost every way but size. It was big. I really liked the smaller width of the VW. And it didn't feel like there was any space sacrifice in the front row. And the back row was only tight if there were three people.

I'm really hoping 3 is similar to the Sportwagen in size.

The Smart is tiny:

but then of course it doesn't go far. And it carries a surprising amount of Stuff:
A Smart Car can carry more stuff than a Hummer.

Last edited by a moderator: