Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First track day impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
took my stock (except for racing brake fluid) P3D+ to pacific raceways yesterday for my first ever trackday (in a car). The car is an amazing track vehicle. I had a game instructor who allowed/encouraged me me to go for it from my first session and helped me figure out lines, braking points etc. I was faster than everyone in my group, got waved by a lot (although frequently got held up- my instructor thought it might have been because no one could hear me behind them and suggested I turn the high beams on for my last session :)). I had a pretty big advantage in that I’ve tracked motorcycles there many times so I know where the track goes and the speed doesn’t freak me out.

Things I discovered. (For me)
1. Track mode is awesome. I didn’t enable it for the first two sessions because I saw Kbeck’s video of his spin @ buttonwillow and wanted to start with the nanny watching over me. But I used way way more energy than wenkan who was there and had it on all the time and enabled it for the third session to help with consumption. It helped a ton with that but also the power stayed strong all the way to 6% whereas I could feel the power drop off after a few laps with it off. Most importantly the car was WAY more planted with it on. It’s freaking genius. Happy for you P3D- folks that you’re getting it.
2: tires are ok but slip all over the place when pushed at stock pressures. I had slides going into T1 at 130 (super scary) and ABS was activating all over the place until I dropped 7psi for the second and 3rd session. Then they gripped but it looks like they rolled over pretty far. Not sure what that means but I’m getting wheels and track tires pronto anyway.
3. I’m getting coilovers ASAP. The body roll is super distracting to me, especially during rapid change of direction like in the chicane. I know you kind of get used to it and the smoother I got the less it happened but still too much for me
4. Seat sucks for hard driving.
5. The car is really fast. I had a well driven GT3RS behind me in the last session (they allow advanced/racing drivers out in the last few sessions) behind me and we waved him by on the front straight and I had to actually lift way off so he could get by.
6. If you run the car to 6% and there is only a standard (wall type) charger and you live 40 miles from the track you’re going to be sitting there long after everyone else leaves :)

Attachments

• E2420C37-DE76-4E70-8699-6A29A9C643C9.jpeg
    E2420C37-DE76-4E70-8699-6A29A9C643C9.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 173
My instructor timed me in the last session. I did consistent 1:51s with my best a 1:49. I don’t really know what a fast lap for a street car is. Depends on a bunch of things. My buddy who instructs for Audi, Porsche and other clubs does 1:33s in his ~400hp TT with 9.5inch slicks etc.

Reactions: wenkan
Wow this is great news, I just got my MPP control arms in the mail and waiting on coil overs.

To be honest, this car really needs coil overs. I already had a few scary situations with the stock suspension. That’s the only thing that could have been better.

Suspension is left for a mild street car, but with 4000 lbs it is definitely under Dampned.

Interesting about the car maintaining power even at low charge when track mode is enabled. Definitely going to hurt your battery but I wonder how much? I remember Elon talking about have a user configuration options. Seems like it would be useful to be able to dial back the nannies slowly and still be able to keep the cooling system maxed out. I wonder if that will ever happen.

Reactions: SammichLover
What were you doing before braking at turn 2? If I remember correctly there is a bit of a knoll at turn 1, felt a little loose or am I mistaken?
I used to run a lightly modified evo 8 in the early 2000s, I was just under 3000 lbs. But even then I was too old to really take advantage of the car.
What club were you running with?

Interesting about the car maintaining power even at low charge when track mode is enabled. Definitely going to hurt your battery but I wonder how much? I remember Elon talking about have a user configuration options. Seems like it would be useful to be able to dial back the nannies slowly and still be able to keep the cooling system maxed out. I wonder if that will ever happen.
You know what’s weird? I took it to the supercharger today because it was @ 9% when I got home last night and was quite cold here and only got to about 18% overnight (I only have mobile charger at this point) and it charged super (heh) quickly. I’ve used the Supercharger a few times and never saw over ~ 40Kw but today it charged at like 80. Makes me wonder if seriously draining the battery maybe conditions it a bit, like they used to say for phones? (Let it go all the way down then charge it fully when you get it) that’s counter to what Tesla says about extremes being bad. Dunno.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78
What were you doing before braking at turn 2? If I remember correctly there is a bit of a knoll at turn 1, felt a little loose or am I mistaken?
I used to run a lightly modified evo 8 in the early 2000s, I was just under 3000 lbs. But even then I was too old to really take advantage of the car.
What club were you running with?
After 1 i’d Keep neutral “throttle” or accelerate a bit until the braking zone for 2. In the first session I was trying to keep it pinned through 1 and had the car sliding which made me very uncomfortable, so then I tried braking there which engaged the ABS, which also made me uncomfortable. So I rolled off before T1 and tried to maintain steady throttle around 120mph. On my ducati i’d take turn 1 at 160 pinned and I know that’s how you’re supposed to go through there but I just wasn’t comfortable in the first couple of sessions. On my last session I went through a bit faster because I was becoming more comfortable and smooth with the car and the tires were gripping better. I think it will just take me a while to get used to how the car feels. I was with Proformance.

• Informative
Reactions: Dre78
3. I’m getting coilovers ASAP. The body roll is super distracting to me, especially during rapid change of direction like in the chicane. I know you kind of get used to it and the smoother I got the less it happened but still too much for me

Yup, definitely tons of body roll. I'm actually testing out the Unplugged Performance sway bars right now and they are much beefier than stock, so they reduce a good bit of body roll. They should be available in the next few weeks i believe and are like a fraction the price of coilovers, so i'd suggest trying them first and see how that does!

Obviously you may still need/want coilovers, but i dont believe anyone has tracked a Model 3 with stock shocks/springs and upgraded sway bars.

@stickman, congrats on your first track day. Pacific Raceway is one of my fav, that used to be my home track before I move to California. Last time I tracked there was 2008 in a slightly modified 2003 Mini Cooper S with first generation Dunlop Direzza summer tires, my best time was 1:45. Being your first time at any track, ever, 1:51 is respectable. PR is a great track to hone your skills with all the subtle elevation changes.

The trick with braking before turn 2 is to hit the brake lightly to set the car before slamming on it.

took my stock (except for racing brake fluid) P3D+ to pacific raceways yesterday for my first ever trackday (in a car). The car is an amazing track vehicle. I had a game instructor who allowed/encouraged me me to go for it from my first session and helped me figure out lines, braking points etc. I was faster than everyone in my group, got waved by a lot...
5. The car is really fast. I had a well driven GT3RS behind me in the last session (they allow advanced/racing drivers out in the last few sessions) behind me and we waved him by on the front straight and I had to actually lift way off so he could get by.
6. If you run the car to 6% and there is only a standard (wall type) charger and you live 40 miles from the track you’re going to be sitting there long after everyone else leaves :)

Thanks for the write-up - it's encouraging to read about peoples' positive track experiences with the car, particularly since I just signed up to my first track day in this car! :cool: (I've been to LOTS of track days, but not in the Tesla yet)

Which brake fluid did you run? How did the brakes hold up overall?

You're way braver than me to run the car to 6% remaining range - LOL at being the last to leave!

Was it still as fast as the charge level got really low (below 20%)?

Thanks for the write-up - it's encouraging to read about peoples' positive track experiences with the car, particularly since I just signed up to my first track day in this car! :cool: (I've been to LOTS of track days, but not in the Tesla yet)

Which brake fluid did you run? How did the brakes hold up overall?

You're way braver than me to run the car to 6% remaining range - LOL at being the last to leave!

Was it still as fast as the charge level got really low (below 20%)?

I used Motul RBF600. Brakes were great, no fade (at least that i noticed). Rotors got blue and there was a fair amount of dust but they held up great. That being said, pacific really only has 3 hard braking zones, 2 of which have straights before them so maybe on tighter tracks they would start to have problems.
You can see how far my tires rolled, I think I'd prob split the difference pressure-wise if I tracked these tires again. I ended up at 39 hot, I'd maybe go for 41 hot.
IMG_3395.jpg

Yes it had what felt like full power (or at least 90%) right up until I pulled in. I was squirting by folks on my last lap with less than 10% SoC. I had a young instructor who was really enjoying himself and I told him I was going to pull in when I saw it had 10% and he was like 'nah you'll be fine you aren't using it up that fast' He also said that the lack of engine noise made it the most relaxing session he'd done with a student. Pretty funny coming from a guy trying to hold himself steady with just that side door handle while encouraging me to go deeper into corners and use all the track on the exit etc. :cool:

Last edited: