Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time charging - range question on MYLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like you got good answers to your questions... now a question for you.

You seemed to be under the impression that you purchased a Model Y Long Range, Did Carvana tell you that it was a Model Y Long Range? If so, and they charged you a selling price appropriate for a Model Y Long Range, when they actual sold you a model Y standard range (Model Y AWD) then you need to see about getting some of your money back, and threatening to get a lawyer if they don't want to correct the mistake.

Keith
That's what I was wondering as well

Shoot - that doesn't seem to help - my VIN is ZACCJBCB5HPG54971 and that didn't seem to align to the codes on the website - maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but plant of manufacture didn't line up to Fremont or Austin and digit 8 lined up to a dual motor model 3 which can't be right. I reached out to Carvana customer support but they are tied up - I won't hear anything from them tonight.
Aare you sure you copied down that vin correctly? A couple things don't look right about it. Also for a but of privacy it would have been good to not list the last 5 digits.

Reactions: El joe
I downloaded PlugShare so I’ll definitely use that to see where to charge - I probably won’t drive for the next 3 days or so, is it safe to charge to 100% or should I stick to 80%?

My garage is a single car garage totally enclosed, so my car is safe while it’s charging - definitely a perk and they don’t meter the garage to my apartment’s rent so I’m charging for free - another perk for sure, that’s why I don’t mind trickle charging.
Def always leave it plugged in but do NOT charge to 100%*. Just 80%.

*Unless you're about to go on a long trip.

I got the VIN off my contract - maybe I was looking at the trade in VIN, but anyhow I just looked at my car and got the correct VIN - 7SAYGDEE8PA1xxxxx - I'll look at the VIN website now to try to decipher it.
7SA = Manufacturer: Tesla, MPV (for Model X, Y)
Y = Model Y
G = Class D MPV
D = Manual Type 2 Seat Belts, etc.
E = Electric
E = Dual Motor - Standard Model Y
8 = ? (Check digit, decoder indicates this value should be 3)
P = 2023
A = Austin, TX, USA
1xxxxx (6 Digit Serial Number)

Teslatap VIN Decoder

Last edited:
I downloaded PlugShare so I’ll definitely use that to see where to charge - I probably won’t drive for the next 3 days or so, is it safe to charge to 100% or should I stick to 80%?

My garage is a single car garage totally enclosed, so my car is safe while it’s charging - definitely a perk and they don’t meter the garage to my apartment’s rent so I’m charging for free - another perk for sure, that’s why I don’t mind trickle charging.
I didn't read through every answer given in detail - but figured it might be worthwhile explaining why you shouldn't charge above 80% for daily driving. In general, it is not good for NMC battery packs (your 4680 pack in your MY AWD is a NMC battery pack - as are the MY LR 2170 battery packs) to maintain a SOC under 20% or over 80% for any lengthy period of time. That's why Tesla states not to charge above 80% for daily driving. If you're going to charge over 80% - like for a longer road trip to Austin that you mentioned - it's best to charge it up to say 95-100% and then leave shortly after the charging session is complete - don't let the battery pack sit for any length of time at a high SOC over 80% when possible. Same when draining the battery below 20% - best not to leave it sitting under 20% when you can avoid doing so. It's not going to kill the battery if you do so on occasion - I'm simply saying these are the best practices. Sometimes it's unavoidable to have your SOC sit either above 80% or below 20% for various reasons - but as long as this is the exception and not the rule - then you're sticking to the best practice in most situations which can only help keep the battery pack healthy especially over the long term.

Ideally, according to the studies, it's best to actually keep the battery pack as close to a 50% average SOC as is possible, but most folks aren't comfortable doing so due to range anxiety type issues, so 80% is what Tesla recommends for daily driving. Since you don't seem to drive much day to day - I'd stay at 80% - at most - for your daily driving. Hope this helps!

7SA = Manufacturer: Tesla, MPV (for Model X, Y)
Y = Model Y
G = Class D MPV
D = Manual Type 2 Seat Belts, etc.
E = Electric
E = Dual Motor - Standard Model Y
8 = ? (Check digit, decoder indicates this value should be 3)
P = 2023
A = Austin, TX, USA
1xxxxx (6 Digit Serial Number)

Teslatap VIN Decoder
Thank you for the help - I logged a ticket with Carvana to see what they’re going to do about it, but they definitely sold it to me as a LR - I might have misread the picture and put 3 instead of 8

I didn't read through every answer given in detail - but figured it might be worthwhile explaining why you shouldn't charge above 80% for daily driving. In general, it is not good for NMC battery packs (your 4680 pack in your MY AWD is a NMC battery pack - as are the MY LR 2170 battery packs) to maintain a SOC under 20% or over 80% for any lengthy period of time. That's why Tesla states not to charge above 80% for daily driving. If you're going to charge over 80% - like for a longer road trip to Austin that you mentioned - it's best to charge it up to say 95-100% and then leave shortly after the charging session is complete - don't let the battery pack sit for any length of time at a high SOC over 80% when possible. Same when draining the battery below 20% - best not to leave it sitting under 20% when you can avoid doing so. It's not going to kill the battery if you do so on occasion - I'm simply saying these are the best practices. Sometimes it's unavoidable to have your SOC sit either above 80% or below 20% for various reasons - but as long as this is the exception and not the rule - then you're sticking to the best practice in most situations which can only help keep the battery pack healthy especially over the long term.

Ideally, according to the studies, it's best to actually keep the battery pack as close to a 50% average SOC as is possible, but most folks aren't comfortable doing so due to range anxiety type issues, so 80% is what Tesla recommends for daily driving. Since you don't seem to drive much day to day - I'd stay at 80% - at most - for your daily driving. Hope this helps!
Thank you for the advice, this is very helpful - I could theoretically keep it at 50% charge because I haven’t driven in the last two days, but you’re right, the range anxiety is real and sometimes I do have to drive 60 miles in a day if I have to go to the office. I really wish it would have been a LR for those extra potential miles, but since I don’t really do that many road trips it might not be an issue - I just hope to get this resolved with Carvana. I’ll keep y’all posted on how that goes - they said to check back in about 2-3 days for an update.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Thank you for the advice, this is very helpful - I could theoretically keep it at 50% charge because I haven’t driven in the last two days, but you’re right, the range anxiety is real and sometimes I do have to drive 60 miles in a day if I have to go to the office. I really wish it would have been a LR for those extra potential miles, but since I don’t really do that many road trips it might not be an issue - I just hope to get this resolved with Carvana. I’ll keep y’all posted on how that goes - they said to check back in about 2-3 days for an update.
When charging off 120V, I will set the charge max to 90% just to give myself extra safety margin should I have a couple of heavy days in a row of driving. The longevity hit is minor. And, of course, if I’m going to be a long trip with Supercharging, I won’t hesitate to charge to 100% if I need to. Btw, never charge to 100% at the top of a mountain like when skiing. 90% is usually sufficient since you get a ton of free miles going downhill.

I didn’t think about that - I didn’t realize there was a difference when I bought it - I’ll have to check my contract and see what it says - they did include the original sticker in the trunk and I’ll have to check what it says - I do remember it saying dual motor on the sticker, but I don’t remember if it said long range - the Carvana listing definitely said long range though - did the range for the long range change based on the new battery as was mentioned above?

The model Y comes with two battery pack options, the long range and performance have a large capacity battery pack made from 2170 cells, and the standard range with a smaller capacity pack made from 4680 cells. If they sold you a standard range while advertising it as a long range (even if they sold it to you at a price point correct for a standard range) you have grounds to return the car because you were mislead on what you were getting... if they charged you for a long range while giving you a standard range, that is even worse, possibly fraud. Do you mind telling how much they charged you for the car? If you don't want to disclose that, research selling price of a standard range and a long range of the milage your car has, and see if you were over charged that way.

Later,

Keith

The model Y comes with two battery pack options, the long range and performance have a large capacity battery pack made from 2170 cells, and the standard range with a smaller capacity pack made from 4680 cells. If they sold you a standard range while advertising it as a long range (even if they sold it to you at a price point correct for a standard range) you have grounds to return the car because you were mislead on what you were getting... if they charged you for a long range while giving you a standard range, that is even worse, possibly fraud. Do you mind telling how much they charged you for the car? If you don't want to disclose that, research selling price of a standard range and a long range of the milage your car has, and see if you were over charged that way.

Later,

Keith
Hi Keith - I paid $48,900 which is what the long range models are selling for in this area with the same mileage on them (1900 miles) - they definitely sold me a standard range - even the sticker it came with shows the range for a standard range - my portal on Carvana shows that it is a long range. I'm supposed to contact them today after work to see what their support team has to say.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Hi Keith - I paid $48,900 which is what the long range models are selling for in this area with the same mileage on them (1900 miles) - they definitely sold me a standard range - even the sticker it came with shows the range for a standard range - my portal on Carvana shows that it is a long range. I'm supposed to contact them today after work to see what their support team has to say.
Yeah, they screwed up bad on this one.

Keith

Yeah, they screwed up bad on this one.

Keith
I contacted them today and they said they checked the VIN and it was a long range - to which I replied by sending them a picture of the window sticker with the VIN on it clearly showing the range of 279 miles and it didn’t say long range on the sticker - I have to wait another 24 hours for the teaM that works on this sort of thing to work the case - I googled the window sticker for a long range and it clearly states the model type and the correct range - also on the software page in the car it should say long range which mine does not. This should be interesting…

So to give everyone an update - Carvana offered me a $100 check because of the inconvenience - however; the car they sold me is definitely a Standard Range - not a Long Range, so I've hired a lawyer to see if I can get the difference between the two cars in compensation - I have a loan for a Long Range - I paid the premium for a Long Range and I definitely don't have that car. I have the consultation with the lawyer on Friday and I think I'll be headed to small claims court with Carvana on this.

So to give everyone an update - Carvana offered me a $100 check because of the inconvenience - however; the car they sold me is definitely a Standard Range - not a Long Range, so I've hired a lawyer to see if I can get the difference between the two cars in compensation - I have a loan for a Long Range - I paid the premium for a Long Range and I definitely don't have that car. I have the consultation with the lawyer on Friday and I think I'll be headed to small claims court with Carvana on this.
What a mess!
I really hope you get this straightened out, and that the lawyer won't cost you more than what you get back.
Best of luck to you, and please keep us updated!

Reactions: lostin64d
Thank you for the help - I logged a ticket with Carvana to see what they’re going to do about it, but they definitely sold it to me as a LR - I might have misread the picture and put 3 instead of 8
Not to beat a dead horse but doesn't the VIN indicate that you have a long range?

The eight digit is an "E" which is a dual-motor. I thought the standard range was supposed to have a "D" as the eight digit.

Not to beat a dead horse but doesn't the VIN indicate that you have a long range?

The eight digit is an "E" which is a dual-motor. I thought the standard range was supposed to have a "D" as the eight digit.
A "D" in the 8th position would be for a Single Motor - Standard or Performance Model Y; "E" is for a Dual Motor - Standard Model Y; F is for a Dual Motor - Performance Model Y.

Reactions: lostin64d