Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First time charging - range question on MYLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, first time posting - I looked for an answer but one didn’t pop up - I bought at ‘23 MYLR and charged it for the first time over the last couple of days - I’m using the 120v wall charger - my car only charged up to a 270 mile range - I thought I could expect closer to 310 or so, has everyone else experienced the same at 100% charge?

Hello everyone, first time posting - I looked for an answer but one didn’t pop up - I bought at ‘23 MYLR and charged it for the first time over the last couple of days - I’m using the 120v wall charger - my car only charged up to a 270 mile range - I thought I could expect closer to 310 or so, has everyone else experienced the same at 100% charge?
What was the SOC?

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
If you purchased a Tesla Dual Motor Model Y, built in Austin, the advertised ranges is 279 miles (uses the new 4680 battery cells). If you purchased a Tesla Long Range Model Y (uses the 2170 battery cells), the advertised range is 330 miles. There is nothing wrong with your Tesla Dual Motor Model Y displaying 270 miles at 100% as this is only an estimate, will vary with temperature. Also, when new, the Tesla vehicle's battery management system has not had a chance to collect data about the voltages of the cells within the battery over a wide range of charge.

There is rarely a need to charge to 100%, even for trips since the Tesla Supercharger network now has 2200 Supercharger locations in North America (There are now 50,000 Supercharger plugs worldwide.) Charge to 90%, perhaps 95% and you should have no issue reaching your destination or a Supercharger location. (Charging to 100% takes much longer than 90%, even 95%). When Supercharging, try and arrive at the Supercharger at ~20% SOC and stop Supercharging when the Tesla Model Y indicates you have enough charge to reach your destination or next charging stop. In any case stop Supercharging when the SOC is no more than 80% as Supercharging slows down significantly above the 80% SOC. You can Supercharge to more than 80% but in most cases it it faster to end the Supercharger session and get back on the road with no more than an 80% SOC. (LPTT: Always enter the Supercharger location where you next plan to stop to Supercharge in the Tesla Navigation system when you are at least ~20 miles+/20 minutes + drive from the Supercharger. The Tesla Model Y will automatically begin to precondition the Tesla Model Y battery for the fastest, most efficient Supercharging when you do this.)

For daily driving only charge to 80% (not 100%). Also, tap the number displayed next to the battery icon on the screen or in the Tesla app to switch to displaying the % state of charge (SOC). Many prefer to set the display to % SOC.

So that the BMS can better estimate the state of the battery you should drive the Tesla Model Y over a wide range of SOC (i.e, from high (~95% SOC) down to ~20% SOC and then park the Tesla Model Y for several hours. Set Sentry mode to be Off at your home location. (The Home location, Work location can be set in the Navigation system.) When Sentry mode is set to off the Tesla Model Y will enter Sleep mode when parked. Then the BMS can perform open cell voltage (OCV) measurements of the cells within the battery. The OCV measurements improve the accuracy of the BMS in estimating the SOC of the battery.

Be sure to test using a Supercharger before you plan to take a road trip. You will need a valid credit card or debit card linked to your Tesla account to use the Supercharger network.

Last edited:
If you purchased a Tesla Dual Motor Model Y, built in Austin, the advertised ranges is 279 miles (uses the new 4680 battery cells). If you purchased a Tesla Long Range Model Y (uses the 2170 battery cells), the advertised range is 330 miles. There is nothing wrong with your Tesla Dual Motor Model Y displaying 270 miles at 100% as this is only an estimate, will vary with temperature. Also, when new, the Tesla vehicle's battery management system has not had a chance to collect data about the voltages of the cells within the battery over a wide range of charge.

There is rarely a need to charge to 100%, even for trips since the Tesla Supercharger network now has 2200 Supercharger locations in North America (There are now 50,000 Supercharger plugs worldwide.) Charge to 90%, perhaps 95% and you should have no issue reaching your destination or a Supercharger location. (Charging to 100% takes much longer than 90%, even 95%). When Supercharging, try and arrive at the Supercharger at ~20% SOC and stop Supercharging when the Tesla Model Y indicates you have enough charge to reach your destination or next charging stop. In any case stop Supercharging when the SOC is no more than 80% as Supercharging slows down significantly above the 80% SOC. You can Supercharge to more than 80% but in most cases it it faster to end the Supercharger session and get back on the road with no more than an 80% SOC. (LPTT: Always enter the Supercharger location where you next plan to stop to Supercharge in the Tesla Navigation system when you are at least ~20 miles+/20 minutes + drive from the Supercharger. The Tesla Model Y will automatically begin to precondition the Tesla Model Y battery for the fastest, most efficient Supercharging when you do this.)

For daily driving only charge to 80% (not 100%). Also, tap the number displayed next to the battery icon on the screen or in the Tesla app to switch to displaying the % state of charge (SOC). Many prefer to set the display to % SOC.

So that the BMS can better estimate the state of the battery you should drive the Tesla Model Y over a wide range of SOC (i.e, from high (~95% SOC) down to ~20% SOC and then park the Tesla Model Y for several hours. Set Sentry mode to be Off at your home location. (The Home location, Work location can be set in the Navigation system.) When Sentry mode is set to off the Tesla Model Y will enter Sleep mode when parked. Then the BMS can perform open cell voltage (OCV) measurements of the cells within the battery. The OCV measurements improve the accuracy of the BMS in estimating the SOC of the battery.

Be sure to test using a Supercharger before you plan to take a road trip. You will need a valid credit card or debit card linked to your Tesla account to use the Supercharger network.
Thank you for the detailed information, I really appreciate it - mine must have the 4680 battery... is it ok to leave it on the wall charger when I'm at home - I probably won't drive more than 120 miles per week as I work from home and don't get out and about too much during the week. I live in Dallas and I might take a road trip to Austin in a few months to test out the range. Thanks for taking time to reply!

Thank you for the detailed information, I really appreciate it - mine must have the 4680 battery... is it ok to leave it on the wall charger when I'm at home - I probably won't drive more than 120 miles per week as I work from home and don't get out and about too much during the week. I live in Dallas and I might take a road trip to Austin in a few months to test out the range. Thanks for taking time to reply!
Yes it is ok and that’s what you generally do when home charging off 120v. But it does cost more to charge that way for a variety of reasons. Check out the cost comparison calculator at the bottom of this page.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Yes, it is OK, even recommended by Tesla to leave the Tesla Model Y plugged in. Set the daily charging limit (found under charging settings and in the Tesla app) to no more than 80%, even 60% is OK since you don't drive very often. The only caveat is since you are currently charging using Level 1 charging (that's 120V charging) charging is slow. Charging from 60% to 90% before leaving for a trip could take 24 hours. That is why 75% or 80% might be better for your daily charging limit. (If you had Level 2 (240V) charging at home you could charge at up to 15% per hour added to the battery.)

Thunderstorms, power outages are times when I always unplug my Tesla Model Y. The risk to the Tesla vehicle during storms or while power is being restored (power surges) is small but the potential is there for significant damage to the vehicle's electrical systems.)

Check out the Plugshare app (for your phone or on the web) for nearby places where you can charge your Tesla Model Y (sometimes even at no cost to you for at least a couple of hours while parked, shopping or dining.) Your Tesla Model Y should have come with the Tesla J1772 charging adapter (if not, it is available from the Tesla online store for $50, definitely worth having on hand.) Most of the public Level 2 charging stations will enable you to charge at 200V to 208V (that is the voltage standard for commercial 200V power) and 30 amps, perhaps 40 amps. That would charge your Tesla Model Y at 8% or more per hour, give you a sense of what you could expect as far as 240V charging at home, i.e. 10% or more state of charge (SOC) added to the battery for each hour you charge.

Tesla SAE J1772 Charging Adapter

Use the Tesla Navigation system to locate nearby Supercharger locations (also, third-party DC Fast Charge Locations.) Your Tesla Model Y would need be verified compatible with CCS charging (check under vehicle configuration settings.) Tesla sells a CCS Combo 1 charging adapter for $175, other CCS adapters are available on Amazon, some for less than $100. (It might be worthwhile if you live where there are still limited Supercharger locations or on your travel route. Otherwise it appears than most of not all of the EV manufacturers in North America have signed on to use the North America Charging Standard (NACS). NACS is the charging standard, connector that Tesla uses.)

Last edited:
Yes, it is OK, even recommended by Tesla to leave the Tesla Model Y plugged in. Set the daily charging limit (found under charging settings and in the Tesla app) to no more than 80%, even 60% is OK since you don't drive very often. The only caveat is since you are currently charging using Level 1 charging (that's 120V charging) charging is slow. Charging from 60% to 90% before leaving for a trip could take 24 hours. That is why 75% or 80% might be better for your daily charging limit. (If you had Level 2 (240V) charging at home you could charge at up to 15% per hour added to the battery.)

Thunderstorms, power outages are times when I always unplug my Tesla Model Y. The risk to the Tesla vehicle during storms or while power is being restored (power surges) is small but the potential is there for significant damage to the vehicle's electrical systems.)

Check out the Plugshare app (for your phone or on the web) for nearby places where you can charge your Tesla Model Y (sometimes even at no cost to you for at least a couple of hours while parked, shopping or dining.) Your Tesla Model Y should have come with the Tesla J1772 charging adapter (if not, it is available from the Tesla online store for $50, definitely worth having on hand.) Most of the public Level 2 charging stations will enable you to charge at 200V to 208V (that is the voltage standard for commercial 200V power) and 30 amps, perhaps 40 amps. That would charge your Tesla Model Y at 8% or more per hour, give you a sense of what you could expect as far as 240V charging at home, i.e. 10% or more state of charge (SOC) added to the battery for each hour you charge.

Tesla SAE J1772 Charging Adapter

Use the Tesla Navigation system to locate nearby Supercharger locations (also, third-party DC Fast Charge Locations.) Your Tesla Model Y would need be verified compatible with CCS charging (check under vehicle configuration settings.) Tesla sells a CCS Combo 1 charging adapter for $175, other CCS adapters are available on Amazon, some for less than $100. (It might be worthwhile if you live where there are still limited Supercharger locations or on your travel route. Otherwise it appears than most of not all of the EV manufacturers in North America have signed on to use the North America Charging Standard (NACS). NACS is the charging standard, connector that Tesla uses.)
Great information, thank you! I don’t have the option to install a charger at home since I’m in an apartment - I have a 120v plug in my garage, but no access to the panel, so I can’t modify it for a 240v charger. I’ll set the max charge to 80% and see how I manage the mileage, I don’t think it will be an issue since I drive so infrequently- I’ll also hit up a supercharger in the area, there’s three that are about 10 miles from me in different directions. Thank you all for your help and advice!

Great information, thank you! I don’t have the option to install a charger at home since I’m in an apartment - I have a 120v plug in my garage, but no access to the panel, so I can’t modify it for a 240v charger. I’ll set the max charge to 80% and see how I manage the mileage, I don’t think it will be an issue since I drive so infrequently- I’ll also hit up a supercharger in the area, there’s three that are about 10 miles from me in different directions. Thank you all for your help and advice!
Sounds like a plan. You can find public charging locations on Google Maps and Plugshare. (With Google Maps just search for nearby "EV charging station" or "Tesla destination charger" or "Tesla Supercharger". ) The Public Level 2 charging station might be a lot closer than the Supercharger, might be free to use or at least less expensive than Supercharging.

A 6kW Level 2 charging station would be 5X faster than the 120V outlet you use now. (If the 120V outlet is a 20 amp circuit (check the receptacle to see if it is a 5-20R (see photos online to compare a standard 120V 15 amp NEMA receptacle 5-15R with the NEMA receptacle 5-20R). Tesla sells a 5-20 plug adapter for use with 120V, 20 amp circuits (the cost for this adapter is $35). Charging would be 33% faster with the 5-20 plug adapter than with the 5-15 plug adapter. (Since you don't know what other devices are powered by the current 120V circuit proceed with caution. Also, two EVs charging at the same time would definitely overload the 120V circuit, trip the circuit breaker.)

Someone can't unplug the Tesla Mobile Connector from the Tesla vehicle while the Tesla vehicle is locked but they can steal the power plug pigtail from the Mobile Connector, damage the charging port while attempting to remove the connector.

The Tesla Navigation system will now display the charging rates for each Supercharger location. There are now off-peak rates that will reduce the cost of Supercharging (not suggesting that you regularly drive 10 miles to a Supercharger.)

Sounds like a plan. You can find public charging locations on Google Maps and Plugshare. (With Google Maps just search for nearby "EV charging station" or "Tesla destination charger" or "Tesla Supercharger". ) The Public Level 2 charging station might be a lot closer than the Supercharger, might be free to use or at least less expensive than Supercharging.

A 6kW Level 2 charging station would be 5X faster than the 120V outlet you use now. (If the 120V outlet is a 20 amp circuit (check the receptacle to see if it is a 5-20R (see photos online to compare a standard 120V 15 amp NEMA receptacle 5-15R with the NEMA receptacle 5-20R). Tesla sells a 5-20 plug adapter for use with 120V, 20 amp circuits (the cost for this adapter is $35). Charging would be 33% faster with the 5-20 plug adapter than with the 5-15 plug adapter. (Since you don't know what other devices are powered by the current 120V circuit proceed with caution. Also, two EVs charging at the same time would definitely overload the 120V circuit, trip the circuit breaker.)

Someone can't unplug the Tesla Mobile Connector from the Tesla vehicle while the Tesla vehicle is locked but they can steal the power plug pigtail from the Mobile Connector, damage the charging port while attempting to remove the connector.

The Tesla Navigation system will now display the charging rates for each Supercharger location. There are now off-peak rates that will reduce the cost of Supercharging (not suggesting that you regularly drive 10 miles to a Supercharger.)
I downloaded PlugShare so I’ll definitely use that to see where to charge - I probably won’t drive for the next 3 days or so, is it safe to charge to 100% or should I stick to 80%?

My garage is a single car garage totally enclosed, so my car is safe while it’s charging - definitely a perk and they don’t meter the garage to my apartment’s rent so I’m charging for free - another perk for sure, that’s why I don’t mind trickle charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert

"(The Home location, Work location can be set in the Navigation system.)" A more accurate statement would be: Sometimes the Home Location, Work location can be set in the Navigation system. In my case, no, neither of them can be set in the navigation or any other system. I would be a little alarmed at the message: You are not within range of any charging station, except since it is sitting in my car port, plugged into my wall charger and charging at 23 mph, I expect it will be okay. BTW it records all charge sessions to "Home", although it insists "Home" is 0.8 miles away and would like to plot a route for my convenience, and "Work" is 0.3 miles away. (But has never recorded a charge at "work".), and the visualization shows it parked in my carport. . . . . . . . . As I have previously said, my wife died from dementia several years ago, so I'm pretty much used to it and it really doesn't bother me much that the car has no idea where it is. The Nav lady screams "in 500 feet turn right", the car immediately dives into the next lane left and accelerates full out, and if left to its own devices, will blow straight through the intersection and then start the "At the next opportunity make a U-turn" chant. It is kind of interesting to look for patterns in its behavior to try to predict what it will do next. Box of chocolates comes to mind.

I downloaded PlugShare so I’ll definitely use that to see where to charge - I probably won’t drive for the next 3 days or so, is it safe to charge to 100% or should I stick to 80%?

My garage is a single car garage totally enclosed, so my car is safe while it’s charging - definitely a perk and they don’t meter the garage to my apartment’s rent so I’m charging for free - another perk for sure, that’s why I don’t mind trickle charging.
You should follow Tesla's recommendation about setting the charging limit between 50%, up to 80% SOC for daily use. You can freely charge above 80% when taking longer trips. If you are comfortable with a lower SOC, experiment with setting a 70% or even 60% charging limit for daily use if that will provide you with enough driving range and enough time to charge to the desired level when you plug in (i.e. overnight, until the next time you plan to drive.) A Tesla vehicle can sit, unplugged, for weeks if needed. Experience has shown that as long as Sentry mode is turned off the battery SOC only loses about 1% over 7 days.

Reactions: lostin64d
Looks like you got good answers to your questions... now a question for you.

You seemed to be under the impression that you purchased a Model Y Long Range, Did Carvana tell you that it was a Model Y Long Range? If so, and they charged you a selling price appropriate for a Model Y Long Range, when they actual sold you a model Y standard range (Model Y AWD) then you need to see about getting some of your money back, and threatening to get a lawyer if they don't want to correct the mistake.

Keith

You seemed to be under the impression that you purchased a Model Y Long Range, Did Carvana tell you that it was a Model Y Long Range? If so, and they charged you a selling price appropriate for a Model Y Long Range, when they actual sold you a model Y standard range (Model Y AWD) then you need to see about getting some of your money back, and threatening to get a lawyer if they don't want to correct the mistake.

Keith
I didn’t think about that - I didn’t realize there was a difference when I bought it - I’ll have to check my contract and see what it says - they did include the original sticker in the trunk and I’ll have to check what it says - I do remember it saying dual motor on the sticker, but I don’t remember if it said long range - the Carvana listing definitely said long range though - did the range for the long range change based on the new battery as was mentioned above?

I didn’t think about that - I didn’t realize there was a difference when I bought it - I’ll have to check my contract and see what it says - they did include the original sticker in the trunk and I’ll have to check what it says - I do remember it saying dual motor on the sticker, but I don’t remember if it said long range - the Carvana listing definitely said long range though - did the range for the long range change based on the new battery as was mentioned above?
I’m not close to the car right now, otherwise I’d check

Keith
I checked the sticker when I just got home and it definitely says AWD and my Carvana portal states that the car is a long range which can’t be based on the last charge - I’m about to reach out to their customer support channel to see what they say

Shoot - that doesn't seem to help - my VIN is ZACCJBCB5HPG54971 and that didn't seem to align to the codes on the website - maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but plant of manufacture didn't line up to Fremont or Austin and digit 8 lined up to a dual motor model 3 which can't be right. I reached out to Carvana customer support but they are tied up - I won't hear anything from them tonight.