Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First SF-Tahoe trip in P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Marc, you can pull up the average Wh/mi on the Trips display, available as a selection on the instrument cluster behind the steering wheel. Did your DS show you how to configure that display?

Many S owners never touch the Trip A meter, using it as a lifetime record of kWh consumed and Wh/mi achieved. I normally reset the Trip B meter twice a year, once when I swap from winter to summer tires, and then when I switch back again.

That is EXACTLY what I do. I change my B meter when I swap winter and summer tires and wheels.

You charging chart indicates that it takes ~345 Watt-hours to create a rated mile. This figure is 300 in the RWD Model S 85s, so a 15% penalty on charging. I'd like to know the corollary figure for consumption, which has most recently been ~275Wh/RM in the older cars.

Very Nice Data MarcG.
Hey, you gotta be careful of those curbs.... did the parking assist start to warn you that you were too close?

The rated mileage used is always over the actuals from what I can see (if you combine the uphill and downhill legs of
Roseville to Sugarbowl to Roseville)...

It appears that you are getting 77% of the rated to actual miles.... 366 actual consumed 474 rated in your case.
But you had a lot of payload on board.

It could be your driving style and other aspects like winds, etc. Not to worry.

How was the driving experience itself?
I take it that this is your first Tesla...?

Thanks for the heads-up about the curbs. The parking assistant did warn me, so no worries there.

It is my first Tesla, and the driving experience was amazing! As I was getting more and more comfortable with the handling and limits of the car, I was able to push harder through the twisties - which my passengers also thoroughly enjoyed :-D

Marc, you can pull up the average Wh/mi on the Trips display, available as a selection on the instrument cluster behind the steering wheel. Did your DS show you how to configure that display?

Many S owners never touch the Trip A meter, using it as a lifetime record of kWh consumed and Wh/mi achieved. I normally reset the Trip B meter twice a year, once when I swap from winter to summer tires, and then when I switch back again.

I actually reset Trip A just before arriving to Roseville as I had forgotten to do that before I left the house at 5:30am... I plan on keeping Trip B as my "lifetime".
As of now Trip A shows 269.6 miles driven, 103.8 kWh total energy, and 385 Wh/mi. Worse than expected?

Hi Marc. First of all, thank you for posting all of your experiences with us (in both this thread and others). So I know that in "Insane" mode, MotorTrend measured the 0-60 time as being 3.1 seconds. How is the 0-60 time when in "Sport" mode? Have you taken any objective measurements? Can you subjectively tell the difference? I'm guessing that most people will have the car in Sport mode most of the time, so knowing the acceleration rate in that mode seems like a good data point.

Also, and this is a question to anyone, I believe that Performance mode in the Roadster actually allowed the battery to get warmer to increase performance (is that true?). Is that how Insane mode works in the Model S? Or is the switch between Sport and Insane an instantaneous kind of thing?

Happy to share my experiences here. I haven't measured 0-60 in SPORT but I can say this: it's still fast! Smoother as well, as in less "violent" in the initial kick. It's almost similar to gunning it in my Audi in Sport mode, whereas INSANE feels like when I use launch control (where it dumps the clutch). Not sure about the warming up battery piece, sorry...

Hmm. Interesting point. I'd seen the earlier rack picture, and he was talking about the skis, so I just assumed. But you're right, neither of the two pictures on this post have the rack attached.
Walter

Haha sorry about the confusion guys. I did install the base rack along with the snow and ski attachments after delivery on Friday to see how it would all fit together, and posted those photos in a separate thread.

Also, I was originally planning on having 3 passengers, so 4 total, which would have required the rack. On Saturday one of them bailed, so we ended up 3 total. Since the rack reduces range and adds unwanted wind noise, I decided to remove it on Sat. night and just put the skis through the foldable rear-right seat.

Read this article for discussion about the Leaf change. AFAIK, Tesla hasn't retested/certified since the rule change until now:

2013 Nissan Leaf gets 75-mile range (actually 84) in new EPA test

There is no new test procedure. We've gone over that pretty thoroughly in the range thread (I actually went and found the procedures). The 2014 Nissan LEAF is back at 84. The whole bit over the range was over the battery charge level in the SAE standard that the EPA adopted when they first got a procedure for testing electric vehicles in 2011 (effective for 2013 model year). The standard requires that tests be conducted at the manufacturer recommended charge level, if there is more than one recommended charge level then the one most likely to be used. Since the LEAF had the 80% and 100% levels and it wasn't clear what the most liikely mode to be used was the EPA let them use the average between the two. Tesla had the same problem, instead they simply added the slider and the slider lets you choose all sorts of battery levels so they are able to use 100%. Nissan with the 2014 LEAF removed the 80% charge option, so it's always 100%. So both the LEAF and the Model S are tested at 100% charge.

I'll admit the MPGe numbers don't make a lot of sense when compared against the range. I keep meaning to try and look through the procedures in depth to understand how those numbers are calculated but I've been busy with other things and haven't done it. I suspect we'll learn that it's just because of how weighted towards city driving the test procedures are.

what are you thinking? I am soon to be new owner with my P85D just competing production. I am little bit worried about the range meaning I can't have my cake and eat it too, and highway trips become more of a hassle. Do you think based on what he is reporting that that it is still in line of increased efficiency on a level surface with warmer temp at 65mph? As well as this poorer showing was due to the worst of all worlds: higher speeds, cooler temps and elevation changes?

I'm not Walter, but I'll give you my opinion. I don't think we have enough information here to really draw a whole lot of conclusions. But based on the Wh/mile numbers you can derive from the info MarcG posted I'd say things don't look too great. I recall usually doing around 350 Wh/mile in the mountains with my S85. Long trips could push those numbers down below 300 Wh/mile. But that was in September when temperatures were a lot higher than right now.

Based on the window stickers, I'd expect the P85D to do better than a P85+ for long trips.

There is no new test procedure. We've gone over that pretty thoroughly in the range thread (I actually went and found the procedures). The 2014 Nissan LEAF is back at 84. The whole bit over the range was over the battery charge level in the SAE standard that the EPA adopted when they first got a procedure for testing electric vehicles in 2011 (effective for 2013 model year). The standard requires that tests be conducted at the manufacturer recommended charge level, if there is more than one recommended charge level then the one most likely to be used. Since the LEAF had the 80% and 100% levels and it wasn't clear what the most liikely mode to be used was the EPA let them use the average between the two. Tesla had the same problem, instead they simply added the slider and the slider lets you choose all sorts of battery levels so they are able to use 100%. Nissan with the 2014 LEAF removed the 80% charge option, so it's always 100%. So both the LEAF and the Model S are tested at 100% charge.

I'll admit the MPGe numbers don't make a lot of sense when compared against the range. I keep meaning to try and look through the procedures in depth to understand how those numbers are calculated but I've been busy with other things and haven't done it. I suspect we'll learn that it's just because of how weighted towards city driving the test procedures are.

This probably isn't the right place to debate it - anyone who is curious can go see the other long thread I linked initially for a much more extensive discussion.

For now I'll just say that the EPA made a bunch of rule changes that I don't fully grasp yet for the 2013 model year vs the 2009 (effective through the 2012 model year) rules that the original Model S was certified to, and that I don't agree with the conclusion you drew about the AER since the MPGe and Wh/mile numbers don't reflect the apparent change.

I'll admit I don't understand the way Tesla adjusted rated range given what I'm pretty sure is going on, however.

(Removing the long life mode and forcing every owner to charge to 100% every time to get a better EPA rating seems like a sub-optimal solution to me. :) )
Walter

For now I'll just say that the EPA made a bunch of rule changes that I don't fully grasp yet for the 2013 model year vs the 2009 (effective through the 2012 model year) rules that the original Model S was certified to, and that I don't agree with the conclusion you drew about the AER since the MPGe and Wh/mile numbers don't reflect the apparent change.

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right but it seems to me that you're suggesting that the Model S was rated with the pre 2013 model year system. That seems very wrong to me based on a lot of things I'm not going to bother to clutter this thread up with.

Again I admit that the range/MPGe numbers don't seem to match up. But I'm still not convinced there's some major change in test procedures that resulted in this.

I'll admit I don't understand the way Tesla adjusted rated range given what I'm pretty sure is going on, however.

What are you pretty sure is going on then?

(Removing the long life mode and forcing every owner to charge to 100% every time to get a better EPA rating seems like a sub-optimal solution to me. :) )

I agree.