Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First NZ Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging off 3 phase 32 amps at 97 km/h
image.jpg

You now need to get ready to repeat yourself over and over and over again when asked about your car -- which will be constantly.

(My wife just arrived in NZ today to visit family and I emailed her this link to let her know she arrived there the same day as the first Model S!)

using a elektrobay ? or something else you picked up ?
It's a Mainpine unit with a PDL 56 series 532 plug attached. I was actually plugged into a socket at KW Historics (ironically) installed there by Tesla.

At home I'm using vanilla j1772 with an adaptor cord until I get three phase installed:

image.jpg

We're now a three EV family!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    894.2 KB · Views: 404
Other updates:

Three phase power, although present on a plinth just metres from my garage, is not available because the crappy lines on my neighbour's driveway that feed it are already fully loaded. If I want three phase badly enough I'll have to upgrade the line or run my own from the street. I would have to want it pretty bad. Next step is to install a Type 2 socket at an industrial unit I have leased 5 minutes down the road. At home I will continue to use my 30A j1772 for now, with the inline adaptor I had made. With three EVs I am now running into serious contention issues, which 3 phase power was a quick fix for.

My personalised plate LOLGAS is on its way to me, should be here tomorrow.

The car flew through compliance here. Fortuitously, because Tesla had registered the car in NL for me, it entered NZ as "used", which avoids the need for some paperwork not in my possession (namely the pre-delivery inspection certifying the airbags etc).

As per my last post, I have installed a wifi hotspot in the car. This works really well, and as a bonus people with laptops in the car can use it too. Pre-pay mobile data is NZD 80 for 5 gigs, with 6 months to use it.

So now the only remaining function that doesn't work in NZ is the car's built in navigation. In a promising development the latest software promises the ability for Tesla to provide over-the-air updates to the built in maps. Fingers crossed a clever technician at Tesla Australia can get me NZ maps.

Other updates:

Three phase power, although present on a plinth just metres from my garage, is not available because the crappy lines on my neighbour's driveway that feed it are already fully loaded. If I want three phase badly enough I'll have to upgrade the line or run my own from the street. I would have to want it pretty bad. Next step is to install a Type 2 socket at an industrial unit I have leased 5 minutes down the road. At home I will continue to use my 30A j1772 for now, with the inline adaptor I had made. With three EVs I am now running into serious contention issues, which 3 phase power was a quick fix for.

My personalised plate LOLGAS is on its way to me, should be here tomorrow.

The car flew through compliance here. Fortuitously, because Tesla had registered the car in NL for me, it entered NZ as "used", which avoids the need for some paperwork not in my possession (namely the pre-delivery inspection certifying the airbags etc).

As per my last post, I have installed a wifi hotspot in the car. This works really well, and as a bonus people with laptops in the car can use it too. Pre-pay mobile data is NZD 80 for 5 gigs, with 6 months to use it.

So now the only remaining function that doesn't work in NZ is the car's built in navigation. In a promising development the latest software promises the ability for Tesla to provide over-the-air updates to the built in maps. Fingers crossed a clever technician at Tesla Australia can get me NZ maps.

Yeah, hopefully Tesla would get you a local (or Telstra AU) sim in that one as well, aside on the Navi maps issue.

This is seriously the coolest car on our roads. Through the ordering process, has Tesla given you any indication on whether they're planning on entering NZ anytime soon? Let the road tripping begin! If you're ever coming through Te Awamutu and happen to drive by someone who's tooting his horn, flashing his lights and waving his arms out of the window like a crazy person...
... That would be me. Congratulations, Steve. Have fun.