Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Flat in my Model S Plaid: Lessons Learned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the Modern Spare so I can quickly change it out if needed. At home, I have an extra new tire so I can just take the old wheel/tire and have the tire changed/replaced. I also have a plug kit, the Tesla pump, and the gue junk. The Tesla pump works just fine. I had a slow leak once on my M3P, close to the side wall and difficult to patch, just had to add a few PSI every couple of weeks. The Modern Spare definitely takes up space in the trunk so I generally leave it at home for local driving. I can always call home and have someone bring the spare to the site. I carry the spare for my commutes and trips. Only problem would be if traveling with the family and a lot of gear/baggage.

I know that the OP mentioned that he would take the tire to Discount Tire to have it repaired from the inside. They will not repair a tire that has been plugged from the outside. I had one go flat on my Lexus RX350 a few years ago. I plugged it. When I took it to Discount Tire to have it repaired, they refused. I had to purchase a new tire.

For my kit, I include a scissors jack modified with my jacking socket adapter and a 1/2 inch - 13/16 inch hex drive adapter, a 21mm deep special lug nut socket, and an 18 inch 1/2 inch square drive Harbor Freight ratcheting breaker bar.

There are no 3 ton scissors jacks available. They are rated 1-1/2 or 2 tons, but they are adequate for lifting one quarter of the car. Since all can handle at least 4 tons before collapsing, there is no difference between the 1-1/2 and 2 ton jack.

You might want to refer to this thread:

A 12x12 inch square of 1/2 inch plywood to put under the jack is also handy. A 4ftx4ft square of indoor-outdoor carpet is much handier than a blanket.

I had one go flat on my Lexus RX350 a few years ago. I plugged it. When I took it to Discount Tire to have it repaired, they refused. I had to purchase a new tire.

That's why the screw plugs I posted are so awesome. When you take the tire in for repair, you remove the screw plug and put back a regular nail or screw and Discount Tire is screwed out of selling you a new tire. 🤣

I contacted Tesla’s emergency roadside assistance, and they quoted $121 and a two hour wait time to fix the tire, and I am fairly confident that the roadside assistant worker would have said I need a new tire at a cost of $660.50. I fixed it myself in an hour to an hour and a half or so (most of the time waiting for my wife to bring the supplies) at a cost of $37. If this ever happens again, I can fix it myself in less than 30 minutes. This Tesla is the first car I have ever had that did not come with a spare tire so I had a bit of a learning curve.

Joe

Why didn't you use Emergency Roadside Help?

Firstly, you should be carrying a 12V compressor as this allows you to address small leaks. If you use roadside assistance I believe you can request to have the car towed to the shop of your choice. You will get the bill, but towing is often covered by your insurance company. I have Discount Tire‘s “certificates” on my car so repairs are free, as well as replacement if the tire cannot be fixed.

Or…if you don’t mind the money, Tesla‘s temporary tire, repair / replacement, then reinstall at your home is a good option.

Here is the 3-Ton scissor jack I ordered from Amazon:

I stand corrected. However, there is no need, since a 2 ton is all you need.

The only issue I would have with that jack is that the swiveling top is not compatible. You'll have to remove it by drilling out the retaining rivet and fit a Tesla compatible jacking socket adapter like this one that I made or make one on your own.

IMG_3409.JPG

Last edited:
You did a great job with that adaptor, @Mike500! I have the Tesla jacking adaptor puck kit, and I will likely just leave a flat plate on the top of the jack. It will not be as nice as yours, but it will work. I actually looked on amazon to see if someone made a pinchweld to Tesla adaptor, but could not find anything. I need to do a google search before I take the top off my scissor jack. Again… VERY nicely done with your scissor jack!

Joe

I originally modified an electric scissors jack by removing the swivelling attachment to use with 1/2 inch post Safe Jacks Rennstand adapters on my Lexus RX350.

When I got my Mod 3, I made the adapter with a smaller 5/16 inch post and found it to work just fine with the new car.

IMG_2820.JPG
IMG_2821.JPG

Since then, I found the Torin Big Red T10152 much easier to convert, carry and deploy in an on road tire changing situation, less complicated and less likely to fail than the battery powered jack.

Interesting idea, but I am not sure this will work. When you screw in the plug it makes the hole bigger, so I wonder if that nail or screw will stay seated when reinserted?
You have to find the hole
Pull out what caused the leak, nail or screw
Screw in rhe screw plug
Fill with air, remove the screw plug upon arrival
Have them fix the hole
Or replace the tire

I’m buying these screw plugs

can anyone recommend good tire plug kit?
Here’s the one I have and like. It includes things like pliers to extract screws and nails, gloves, and so on that are necessary but probably forgotten most of the time. Also, there are the screw types that have merit but I’ve not yet used. Don’t forget a tire inflator.

Here’s the one I have and like. It includes things like pliers to extract screws and nails, gloves, and so on that are necessary but probably forgotten most of the time. Also, there are the screw types that have merit but I’ve not yet used. Don’t forget a tire inflator.
Nice kit but no plug screws
Seems the traditional kits don’t have these screws
Tire Plug Kit 60 PCS, Tire Repair Rubber Screws, Vacuum Tyre Repair Nail Fast Repair Rubber Nails with Screwdriver for Car Motorcycle ATV Tire Puncture Repair (0.21 x 0.46 inch, 0.27 x 0.59 Inch) https://a.co/d/j95gi0G