Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Flat in my Model S Plaid: Lessons Learned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, key step remove a block away
;)
Worth the gamble I guess. Plugs make the whole bigger so it will go flat extremely fast and you might destroy the tire on the way. Also, they might still be able to detect a plug was used. If you use a plug hope for the best and be ready to buy a new tire.

I am in the have it towed camp (insurance paid for or AAA), especially as I have tire “certificates“ from Discount Tire. Or, go with the spare option. But of course, each to their own.

Size and weight be damned. When I can get up the money, I'm buying an extra tire and wheel as a full size spare.

Just put the full size spare on and forget plugging anything. Take the punctured tire to the shop and have it repaired and patched from the inside like it should be. Or, if it can't be repaired, I'll just have them put on a new tire.

Nothing beats a full size spare.

Interesting idea, but I am not sure this will work. When you screw in the plug it makes the hole bigger, so I wonder if that nail or screw will stay seated when reinserted?

Look, I have used them in real life and they work amazing. Your theory is a little silly. Tires are made of extremely durable rubber. It does not make the hole bigger to put in these screw plugs and then remove them. Think again about the type of rubber used in tires.

Indeed. I put a 12” 2x6 in the case that my 3 ton scissor jack came in.

I have not had a flat on my X, but previous experience lead me to conclude that one should carry some like a 2X6 or maybe 1X6 piece of wood for the jack to rest on. Shoulders of many roads are gravel and my scissor jack was sinking and twisting as I tried to jack the car. A Dangerous situaion.

I was in a suit when I broke down, and ended up kneeling on my wife’s Jeep’s front floor mat. I ended up going to Harbor Freight and purchased a 6’ by 7’ (ish) furniture pad to use on the road. I hate laying in the dirt and then getting back in the car, and of course, fixing a flat in a suit provides an extra degree of difficulty if you don’t have a blanket. The harbor freight furniture pad is inexpensive, nicely padded, and can be washed when necessary.

Joe

Hi,

I had my first flat in my Tesla Model S Plaid today at 7,200 miles. The dash indicator went from a low tire pressure indication to pull over immediately in about 15 seconds. Let’s just say it was a big flat. I used the Tesla app and reported a flat tire, and Tesla came back with $121 if the tire could be repaired and $660.50 if I needed a new tire. It would take about two hours for them to arrive since I live in a very rural area. I told Tesla to hold off that I would try and repair it.

Lesson 1: Check critical hardware when you get it, before you need it: my NEW Tesla inflator with built-in fix-a-flat did not work. The compressor would not turn on when the switch was in the fix-a-flat position (I made sure the knob was fully engaged multiple times).

Lesson 2: Carry tire plugs. In my case, the hole was large enough that the a separate can of fix-a-flat did not fix it. I had to send my wife to purchase both the can of fix-a-flat and some heavy duty radial tire plugs.

Lesson 3: Carry a 3-ton scissor jack. I needed to have my wife pull forward in the Tesla until the hole was in the right position so I could plug it without removing the tire.

Lesson 4: Carry a blanket to lay on while you are working on repairing the flat. I was in a suit and kneeling on a floor mat to avoid messing up my suit was tedious.

Lesson 5: Carry a 1/2 drive socket and breaker bar/ratchet so you can remove the tire if necessary. The tire would have been easier to plug if I could have removed the tire.

Start to finish, including having my wife pick up the items I needed but did not have, it took me about 75 minutes to repair the tire and be on my way. I will take it easy on this tire (no high speed runs) until I have it repaired properly or replaced if Discount Tire doesn’t want to patch the inside of the tire.

As soon as I can, I will log in to my Tesla account and get this non-functioning Tesla air pump sent back. In addition to the fix-a-flat not working, the air pressure gauge did not work.

By this Saturday, I will have all of the items I need so that I do not have to bother my wife if/when I get another flat. For the record, I did not think that Tesla’s price for a tire replacement was too bad considering it included delivery and installation at the location where I was stuck. I wonder how they balance everything when they do a roadside tire replacement. Mobile road-force balancer?

If you are reading this and you are even remotely handy at plugging a tire, you should, at a minimum, carry the items I have listed above so that you can repair your own flat tire.

Joe

View attachment 968214
"Tesla Plaid" by Chris Yarzab is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
I had roadside service replace a tire (yes, the replaced a single tire because they all had alot of tread) and they had a balancer in the van. The cost was around $400, and that was a year ago. He said he spent most of his day on low profile tires. FYI: I found someone that sold an entire set of aero's and tires, and have two model 3s. I carry a whole tire/rim around town, and on trips if I have room. I like the wheels, and may make one a snow set.

Reactions: Mike500
Hi,

I had my first flat in my Tesla Model S Plaid today at 7,200 miles. The dash indicator went from a low tire pressure indication to pull over immediately in about 15 seconds. Let’s just say it was a big flat. I used the Tesla app and reported a flat tire, and Tesla came back with $121 if the tire could be repaired and $660.50 if I needed a new tire. It would take about two hours for them to arrive since I live in a very rural area. I told Tesla to hold off that I would try and repair it.

Lesson 1: Check critical hardware when you get it, before you need it: my NEW Tesla inflator with built-in fix-a-flat did not work. The compressor would not turn on when the switch was in the fix-a-flat position (I made sure the knob was fully engaged multiple times).

Lesson 2: Carry tire plugs. In my case, the hole was large enough that the a separate can of fix-a-flat did not fix it. I had to send my wife to purchase both the can of fix-a-flat and some heavy duty radial tire plugs.

Lesson 3: Carry a 3-ton scissor jack. I needed to have my wife pull forward in the Tesla until the hole was in the right position so I could plug it without removing the tire.

Lesson 4: Carry a blanket to lay on while you are working on repairing the flat. I was in a suit and kneeling on a floor mat to avoid messing up my suit was tedious.

Lesson 5: Carry a 1/2 drive socket and breaker bar/ratchet so you can remove the tire if necessary. The tire would have been easier to plug if I could have removed the tire.

Start to finish, including having my wife pick up the items I needed but did not have, it took me about 75 minutes to repair the tire and be on my way. I will take it easy on this tire (no high speed runs) until I have it repaired properly or replaced if Discount Tire doesn’t want to patch the inside of the tire.

As soon as I can, I will log in to my Tesla account and get this non-functioning Tesla air pump sent back. In addition to the fix-a-flat not working, the air pressure gauge did not work.

By this Saturday, I will have all of the items I need so that I do not have to bother my wife if/when I get another flat. For the record, I did not think that Tesla’s price for a tire replacement was too bad considering it included delivery and installation at the location where I was stuck. I wonder how they balance everything when they do a roadside tire replacement. Mobile road-force balancer?

If you are reading this and you are even remotely handy at plugging a tire, you should, at a minimum, carry the items I have listed above so that you can repair your own flat tire.

Joe

View attachment 968214
Thanks for this Joe! I also bought Tesla’s combo sealant air compressor gadget, mine didn’t work either.

I took an Uber to the local Canadian tire, bought anotger compressor and a can of tire sealant, repaired it now sitting at the beach with my family worried like heck it’s going to be flat when I get back. 😳

It’s a cut I’m hoping it can be repaired.

Thanks for this Joe! I also bought Tesla’s combo sealant air compressor gadget, mine didn’t work either.

I took an Uber to the local Canadian tire, bought anotger compressor and a can of tire sealant, repaired it now sitting at the beach with my family worried like heck it’s going to be flat when I get back. 😳

It’s a cut I’m hoping it can be repaired.

They definitely don’t repair slices in tires. Only very small roundish holes.

Reactions: Rockstop
Hi,

Joe

View attachment 968214
Good advice,..had three nail/screw punctures in first three years,..(florida) BTW have never had a failed plug in hotrods or motorcycles in 30+ years
JC retired fully certified mechanic

Plugs vulcanize (startrek, ha) the rubber
Almost impossible to reverse rhe chemical bond
“The most common vulcanizing method is to treat natural rubber with sulfur, which causes a chemical reaction that softens the touching materials (such as a patch and a tire) and binds them together, increasing the rubber's rigidity and durability”

I also carry a patch kit, tire cross and this Ryobi 18 Impact gun.
All this easily fits in the frunk.

• ONE+ HP Technology Delivers Up to 1,170 ft./lbs. Breakaway Torque
  • 4-Mode Speed Control

Or cheaper at Amazon

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
I also carry a patch kit, tire cross and this Ryobi 18 Impact gun.
All this easily fits in the frunk.

• ONE+ HP Technology Delivers Up to 1,170 ft./lbs. Breakaway Torque
  • 4-Mode Speed Control

Or cheaper at Amazon

Yikes! Something is really wrong with your tire installers if you need that kind of tool to break off your lug nuts. They are supposed to be around 129 ft/lbs, which is really easy to break free with normal wrench.

Plus that battery in that tool and to be kept charged, and since the battery costs almost as much as the tools these days, it's nuts to leave those battery tools in hot cars which prematurely kills those lithium batteries in the trunk all the time.

Yikes! Something is really wrong with your tire installers if you need that kind of tool to break off your lug nuts. They are supposed to be around 129 ft/lbs, which is really easy to break free with normal wrench.

Plus that battery in that tool and to be kept charged, and since the battery costs almost as much as the tools these days, it's nuts to leave those battery tools in hot cars which prematurely kills those lithium batteries in the trunk all the time.
Just having a tire cross is good enough but an impact gun is nice.
I occasionally use it with a 3/8 adapter for things other than lug nuts.
The power jack is great to have.
I have lots of Ryobi 18v tools and usually park indoors.
Their batteries aren't the greatest with some I've had lasting less than a year just sitting on a bench.
There are other brands than Ryobi but this is just a suggestion if you worry about a flat especially going out of town.

Reactions: zoomer0056