Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Dyno Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Different brand of dynos will give different results on the exact same car.
But so far they all seem to be close enough to confirm the range
Plus the number Tesla gives would be the hp of the motor, Dyno's measuer hp at the wheels.
That would be only a slight difference with an electric due to almost no 'drive train' loss.

That number, 800+ torque, is insane for a daily driver.

Plus from what I've seen so far, none of the dyno's measure from 0 rpm, which is the point where Electrics should make the most.

In addition, I've read that in launching , you should press both pedals at the same time just prior to launch. Not sure how much difference that would make.

(Note: All that being said - I've never ridden in a Tesla ...yet.)

I took my P85 to a dyno. Here's the result.

Google doc showing the data
Tesla Dyno Runs - Google Sheets

- My dyno only recorded HP, to get torque I took the MPH, converted it to wheel RPM * 9.73 to get motor RPM. From there, Using HP=(Tq*RPM)/5252 backwards as Tq=(Hp*5252)/RPM to find my torque numbers. Anyone who doesn't input final drive ratio into their dyno is only blowing smoke about torque numbers from the Tesla Model S.

So the car should make 416hp right? I made 390 uncorrected, But I see videos all over the place. some where I am, some at 440 or more. Liz's car (page 4 on this thread) made 376 which is uncomfortably close to my P85.. any thoughts? I'm really wondering if my car isn't making the power it should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good.
The only other suggestion I have is try some other dynoshop with about the same SOC and compare.
I'll join your dynorun numbers with my theoretical chart.

On the other hand 390/416 is about 94% of theoretical numbers. Measured at wheels that is not so bad. There are some ineffciences in the drivetrain - reduction gearbox, ballbearings, tires etc. Battery/inverter/motor temperatures etc might also not be in their optimal range taking away a HP or two.

Good.
The only other suggestion I have is try some other dynoshop with about the same SOC and compare.
I'll join your dynorun numbers with my theoretical chart.

On the other hand 390/416 is about 94% of theoretical numbers. Measured at wheels that is not so bad. There are some ineffciences in the drivetrain - reduction gearbox, ballbearings, tires etc. Battery/inverter/motor temperatures etc might also not be in their optimal range taking away a HP or two.

I like your chart. Could you add motor RPM to the bottom of your chart along with MPH? They're all available in my spreadsheet if you need reference for it.

Here it is:
Tesla Model S Power and Torque, inc Dyno.png

I'd say your car is doing just fine. Sure, this run came a bit under published specs but this is not unprecedented. I plotted your first run, consecutive runs were even lower. This is normal - components heat up and battery's voltage drops, so maximum power also drops.
I guess one would get maximum power out of a MS by charging to 100% and and then doing a run before battery cooled down.

Here it is:

I'd say your car is doing just fine. Sure, this run came a bit under published specs but this is not unprecedented. I plotted your first run, consecutive runs were even lower. This is normal - components heat up and battery's voltage drops, so maximum power also drops.
I guess one would get maximum power out of a MS by charging to 100% and and then doing a run before battery cooled down.

My highest power run was actually my 3rd pull.

I was between 90 and 93 SoC.

100% didn't yield much higher on my KW output in the logging on the streaming REST API.

I hit 376 when the car was new. I'm at 335ish now. that's over 50Hp.

- - - Updated - - -

To get a proper torque reading; check out the "OBDII Data Link" device on this page: Dynojet Automotive Dynoware RT and PowerCore

That's what the shops need.

It is an easy calculation. The 245/45/19 tires make 728.6 revolutions per mile. Them MPH * Rev/Mi = Wheel RPM. Wheel RPM * 9.73 = motor RPM.

So the car should make 416hp right? I made 390 uncorrected, But I see videos all over the place. some where I am, some at 440 or more. Liz's car (page 4 on this thread) made 376 which is uncomfortably close to my P85.. any thoughts? I'm really wondering if my car isn't making the power it should be.

Dynos are notoriously poorly calibrated, and some brands are known to consistently post higher or lower numbers than others even when calibrated. End result is you can't directly compare results across different dynos. The only thing that's valid for comparison are runs on the same dyno on the same day.