Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 24 hours and knee is sore.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, put close to 100 miles on it in first day ... and, while I absolutely am thrilled with it so far, the only complaint I have (that I've not read elsewhere) is a problem with screen placement and kneecaps.

The moment I "relax" into the drivers seat, my right knee tries to find a comfortable resting position and the only one is rubbing up against the bottom left part of the center video console. Very hard. Quite uncomfortable. Thinking about even padding it more with bandages or something.

Anyone else having this discomfort?

I've had a bit of pain in my hip and knee so i've been experimenting with a bunch of different seating positions. I think for me the pain stems from the floor being a bit higher into the cabin because of the battery pack below the car and my legs not being supported by the bottom of the seat.

What I've done is adjust my driver position back a bit so my legs are straighter than I have been used to in cars with a deeper floor. So instead of my knees being in a bit of a reverse 'L' position when they are on the pedal, my legs are only slightly bent now and the back of my leg, just above the knee area is totally supported by the bottom of the seat, instead of my leg flopping loosely and resting on the side of the left part of the center video console. I had to play with the tilt of the seat and the height of it to get the support just right. I also had to adjust the telescope length of the steering wheel since i was further back than I was used to compared to my previous car.

I find that I really like sitting like this as my legs are supported much more than they were previously and it seems to be a less fatiguing driving position for me. Another benefit from moving the seat back is my head isn't so close to the front headliner and being back more gives me more space between my head and the headliner to the left of me.

Anyone else having this discomfort?
Yep, the center console is at a terrible spot for how I like to rest my leg while driving. I've got a knit hat I wear to keep my head warm when outside, I use it as a cushion between my knee and the console when I drive. I've also taken to having the seat quite a bit more forward and up than I typically like in order to get my knee away from the console corner.

Never had a problem with any other car finding a good leg position :(, but then I've never had a car that didn't extend the center console all the way through to the center arm rests. The Model S's open space means no continuous console and, for me, that results in poor ergonomics for my right leg position. I'd guess you have to be of a certain height and desired driving position for it to be an issue.

I'd pay for an aftermarket solution that at least extended the console to the floor. Solfauthor's insert is cool, but I don't think it'd provide the leg support I'm looking for.

It bugged me initially but I raised the front of the seat (tilted the flat part of the seat backwards) and that solved it for me (I'm 5'9", 33" inseam). Just keep messing around w/ the seat and steering wheel and you'll find a good spot.

Just curious sp4rk, but how tall are you?

I'm 6' 3", and have had no troubles sitting in the car. I actually find it quite comfortable to drive.
Good question. I'm 5' 9 1/2" without heels. (Kidding about the heels.)

Already tried slouching forward a bit and that helped but not a solution.

I am going to try raising the seat but then the steering wheel I think would be too low ... not even sure if the wheel height is adjustable .. not played with it!
It's awkward enough getting in and out as it is (I am used to SUV's), but once you're in, you're in.

Same as with strider - had this initially - but after fine tuning the seat placement, it's gone away.

Plus I've started using the cruise control more often (and have reduced my average from 333 Wh/mi down to 310 Wh/mi) - so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I am going to try raising the seat but then the steering wheel I think would be too low ... not even sure if the wheel height is adjustable .. not played with it!
It's awkward enough getting in and out as it is (I am used to SUV's), but once you're in, you're in.
The wheel has good adjustablity. I'm 5'10", 32" inseam so very close to your height. As I noted in my first post, my knee still gets a bit sore, but the best position I've found is:

1) See all the way up vertically (gets my knee off the bottom corner and up an inch or two on the console)
2) Tilted back somewhat
3) Seat forward closer than I'd normally drive (2 & 3 push my knee in an inch or two so it's more on the console side than edge)
4) Steering wheel wherever you like it

It's not bad, though I'm closer than I'd like and I can't straighten my legs when my aging knees get a little achey. Which is generally fine in the city. I may program a second position that moves the seat back some for highway driving with cruise control.

I had serious issues with pain in my right hip. I've taken two measures that have (largely) solved the problem:
  1. Tilt the seat (horizontal section) upward. This provides more thigh support and therefore taking strain off the hip.
  2. Relax the leg muscles. The OCD perfectionist in me wants to control each millimeter of movement on the accelerator, so I was never relaxing my leg. Doesn't help that it never travels over to the brake pedal. I've taken not only to consciously relaxing the leg muscles while driving, but also using my left foot to hold the brake at stops to free up my right leg to move it around.
Yeah, I know, I need to exercise more, too.

I had serious issues with pain in my right hip. I've taken two measures that have (largely) solved the problem:
  1. Tilt the seat (horizontal section) upward. This provides more thigh support and therefore taking strain off the hip.
  2. Relax the leg muscles. The OCD perfectionist in me wants to control each millimeter of movement on the accelerator, so I was never relaxing my leg. Doesn't help that it never travels over to the brake pedal. I've taken not only to consciously relaxing the leg muscles while driving, but also using my left foot to hold the brake at stops to free up my right leg to move it around.
Yeah, I know, I need to exercise more, too.

I tell joggers that they are putting out too much CO2 so that's why I drive electric. That's my excuse for not jogging at least:smile:

very comfortable driving for me. i would suggest that owners fine tune the seat and steering wheel--both are extensively adjustable--before posting about hip, knee and leg pain. it's almost like the first thing people are beginning to do is come here and complain, before actually learning to use their new car. i find it somewhat frustrating, especially from a pr management perspective, at this sensitive time... but that's just me.

very comfortable driving for me. i would suggest that owners fine tune the seat and steering wheel--both are extensively adjustable--before posting about hip, knee and leg pain. it's almost like the first thing people are beginning to do is come here and complain, before actually learning to use their new car. i find it somewhat frustrating, especially from a pr management perspective, at this sensitive time... but that's just me.
"I need room for a 3rd drink even when driving solo." ;) Just a reminder of where we've been.

I agree with you on this one.

for the person who submitted negative feedback on my comment: i would never say anything like owners are "too stupid to know how to adjust a seat?" -- re-read my comment. it is not in any way a flame or rude, and certainly doesn't reference anyone's intelligence, although i may be a little suspicious after this reputation comment. i was only pointing out, highlighting, what several of the op's mentioned themselves, that they had not fully explored the adjustments available to the seats, etc, before posting negatively here. i was noting that that as a general practice is on the upswing, and perhaps neither useful or interesting as many comments on this board admit that a problem could have been solved had they read the manual or taken time to adjust settings, as you would normally do with any new car. (am i wrong about that?) i would never make a personally directed comment, or try to insult someone. obviously, by your rep comment, you were insulted and felt the need to 'strike back'.. but... well, you do me wrong, sir. (or madame). i take offense at your offense. (now i'm just kidding.. lightening the mood a little..:) )

is this thread done yet?