Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware Update 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who exactly told you? Because we know how well informed the SC's are.... :D
Oh, for sure. I don't know whether I believe him or not!

I was told by "Nick" when I called Tesla Support. My car had a mysterious 1g download a week ago and I thought I'd ask. He looked into it and called me back later in the day. He said that he had an internal document or some other thing stating this info.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Drove 600km today, first longer trip o on .12 and man, it's much worse than 10.4. Frequent breakings at overpasses and sign bridges, unable to properly allot trucks to their lane thus breaking when lane changing next to them, micro-swerves while lane changing....
Also seems to have reduced perception range, had it only start decelerating to the end of a jam from about 100m distance and then go to the brakes quite strongly.
Had it for about 10 days in Europe, lots of time on WiFi, no new maps.
So if I could, I'd stay on .10.4 rather than .12, alas it's too late...
Update us in a few days to let us know if it seems any different...

Oh, for sure. I don't know whether I believe him or not!

I was told by "Nick" when I called Tesla Support. My car had a mysterious 1g download a week ago and I thought I'd ask. He looked into it and called me back later in the day. He said that he had an internal document or some other thing stating this info.
Okay, thanks, that's more conclusive than a random SC person!

Wait... somebody from Tesla... called you back?!

Which phone number are you calling? It can't possibly be the same one I've been calling.

Tesla told me that the new nav for MCU1 is only going to California, with no set time to roll out more broadly.

I have the old MCU (2016 build) and I got 2018.12 very early (I was the first to report it on the firmware tracker). It took 3 days for the map to load, but I got that update too. I'm in Washington State.

Is there some other part of the new nav system only going to California?

I have the old MCU (2016 build) and I got 2018.12 very early (I was the first to report it on the firmware tracker). It took 3 days for the map to load, but I got that update too. I'm in Washington State.

That’s what someone at Tesla support told someone. No other evidence for that that I’ve seen. Anyone seen anything further on this? A lot of confusion going on with 14 getting pulled and the dev 14.2. (And there’s a 14.1 on a few 3’s....)

I got 2018.12 on the first day but no maps (in IL). I did leave for a very remote area (though with weak LTE) the day after I got the update. I only arrived 6 days later but its been over a week since I arrived without the new nav.

Tesla seems to be sending it out very slowly and very randomly. It is reassuring to hear some owners report getting it outside CA because if it was another 1k situation (release of crippled TACC/AS on AP2), I'd wonder if the nav wasn't super buggy and useless (and you don't get a choice when it gives you the new nav, its already installed unlike fw).

I told Nick that I was skeptical, but he swore he had a document in front of him that said new NAV was being rolled out to CA only.

File under: shiny candy distraction tweet from Elon followed by bullcrap release.

That’s what someone at Tesla support told someone. No other evidence for that that I’ve seen. Anyone seen anything further on this? A lot of confusion going on with 14 getting pulled and the dev 14.2. (And there’s a 14.1 on a few 3’s....)

I told Nick that I was skeptical, but he swore he had a document in front of him that said new NAV was being rolled out to CA only.

File under: shiny candy distraction tweet from Elon followed by bullcrap release.

Maybe there is some other piece only people in CA are getting? After posting we had to run some errands and I used the nav system just to see. The instrument cluster maps were the new maps. I like the extra information they show.

My 2012 S85 received the 2018.12 update two days ago. Today the car downloaded about 11 GB of data. I hope these are the map updates.

Model S Activity.png

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
The regular ASUS router software had that traffic screen also. I'd use Merlin but it doesn't support mesh yet and Tessie has her own mesh router in the garage. ;)

I wonder if the California confusion is related to the real time traffic Nav update (Waze like) then the actual maps? I also wonder if it is rolling out to all three of the California states. o_O