Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Certainly not much happening to Model S and X so far considering the "great things in the next several months" hype from early November.
Since then: the 1yr+ overdue auto wipers, easy entry and... That's it.
Still no AP1 parity, still no EAP features ("3 months maybe, 6 months definitely" - a year ago) but Elon pushing back his predictions.
Just crickets in the night.

I have 20K miles on AP1 Model X (deer accident) and now have an AP2 Model X that I've used a bit now. For all my test cases it has AP1 parity for normal usage. I don't consider parity 'Display Vehicles in Adjacent Lanes' or 'Different Display Icons for Different Vehicle Types' making any difference to the genuine and normal usage of AP.
To me the lack of signage recognition and inability to do auto lane changes on regional highways (german Bundesstrassen) is still a definite lack of parity in genuine and normal usage. Especially the former as map data is utter crap, pardon my french.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
To me the lack of signage recognition and inability to do auto lane changes on regional highways (german Bundesstrassen) is still a definite lack of parity in genuine and normal usage. Especially the former as map data is utter crap, pardon my french.
I guess it depends on what area/region you live in. I have seen *zero* issues with the signage recognition because the nav data containing speeds is very accurate in my area (Chicago IL area). I used auto-lane change 98% on major highways so that is pretty minor as well to me. Don't get me wrong I wish it would do lane change on 'non-divided highways' here but really only because it disengages Auto-Pilot (Auto-Steer actually).

I guess it depends on what area/region you live in. I have seen *zero* issues with the signage recognition because the nav data containing speeds is very accurate in my area (Chicago IL area). I used auto-lane change 98% on major highways so that is pretty minor as well to me. Don't get me wrong I wish it would do lane change on 'non-divided highways' here but really only because it disengages Auto-Pilot (Auto-Steer actually).
Unfortunately your experience significantly varies from that in Germany. We have quite a few sign bridges which switch speed limits for traffic regulation. But even then, a 40 kph (25mph?) map based limit on a highway that has at least 80 kph gives you a decent scare when the car hits the brakes hard out of nowhere. And that would be on a several years old federal german highway on the outskirts of Munich, not a dead end of the woods newly built highway (and recently updated maps on my car).
And indeed, having a road with two lanes each direction, separated by barriers and a highway in all but (probably) map designation not be treated as a highway does indeed suck.
So you are absolutely right in it being dependent on the region one's in - because the tech is not up to par. Both issues were none on my AP1 Model S but are on the new one w/ AP2. Hence the complaint about lack of parity.

Come on where's the good updates we were promised like navigation!!!

Attachments

• 20180202_192319.jpg
    20180202_192319.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 201
Just got the update. My question is rather simple. The release note talk about the tire pressure units. I followed the instructions and found the settings under units. The problem is my model s is a pre AP car. To my knowledge, my car is incapable of displaying tire pressure. If i’m wrong, please show me how.

Just got the update. My question is rather simple. The release note talk about the tire pressure units. I followed the instructions and found the settings under units. The problem is my model s is a pre AP car. To my knowledge, my car is incapable of displaying tire pressure. If i’m wrong, please show me how.

Press and hold the (left or right) Scrollbutton on the steering wheel, than turn it until (I think) Status.
Until you drive 3-5 Minutes it shows only -

rgrrv84z191z.jpg

All Model S have tire pressure sensors, but the older models from 2012 and 2013 do not specifically identify which tire is low or what the pressure is in each tire. The newer models let you know which tire is low and have a car status view that gives the tire pressure for each tire.
Don't know if this is still true, or a Software update could fix this also for older models.

Last edited:
I noticed this evening that the manual will cause the media console to reboot. Not sure how extensive the issue is, but I was able to reliably reproduce the issue (in 2018.4.1) by doing the following:
  1. Click "Controls"
  2. Click "Settings"
  3. Click "Manual"
  4. Click "Owner's Manual"
  5. Click "Index of Terms"
  6. Scroll to "Auto Park" and click it
  7. Wait about 10 seconds, the media console reboots.
Reported it via the voice command, FWIW. It's also worth noting that the formatting of the manual is wonky, it's showing stuff that appears to have been meant for conditional text, e.g. "Model SModel XModel 3".

AP2 is unreliable on auto lane change. Sometimes it does it instantly, sometimes it hesitates 5-10 sec before initiating the lane change (despite signal and pull on the steering wheel) sometimes it doesn't initiate the change at all. Free highway, clear lane markings. Due to this unpredictability I stopped using the auto lane change, too annoying to handle.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
AP2 is unreliable on auto lane change. Sometimes it does it instantly, sometimes it hesitates 5-10 sec before initiating the lane change (despite signal and pull on the steering wheel) sometimes it doesn't initiate the change at all. Free highway, clear lane markings. Due to this unpredictability I stopped using the auto lane change, too annoying to handle.
Only point of auto lane change is to avoid exiting/entering AP mode, and the annoyingly loud BING BONG that interrupts your music, because Tesla thinks that fixes Mode Confusion

I must agree the AP engage/disengage chimes are annoying interruptions to audio, as an active AP driver (* at current tech level) is constantly engaging and disengaging to maintain a safe and courteous distance.

But as an actively engaged AP loving driver, I say that they can go a step further visually with AP, maybe that whole background area with the icons can change, first to one solid colour for TACC and then the bright blue for full AP. Then they can get rid of the chimes forever. That would make me happier, freer, and safer.

As for lane changes, I wonder why the system won't just tell us when it sees a dashed line, or not, guess it would take more processing somehow. I have learned to predict when it is ready, and then try only then. Success rates have gone up but still not 100% still some silly moments and disengagements << Bing Bong >>

thisversusbingbong.png

I must agree the AP engage/disengage chimes are annoying interruptions to audio, as an active AP driver (* at current tech level) is constantly engaging and disengaging to maintain a safe and courteous distance.

But as an actively engaged AP loving driver, I say that they can go a step further visually with AP, maybe that whole background area with the icons can change, first to one solid colour for TACC and then the bright blue for full AP. Then they can get rid of the chimes forever. That would make me happier, freer, and safer.

As for lane changes, I wonder why the system won't just tell us when it sees a dashed line, or not, guess it would take more processing somehow. I have learned to predict when it is ready, and then try only then. Success rates have gone up but still not 100% still some silly moments and disengagements << Bing Bong >>

View attachment 283656

I like your idea...

View attachment 283656
I totally agree with this, I mentioned something similar a long time ago but my thought was color changes or ambient color changes to indicate TACC versus autopilot.... I think the whole color scheme should be different when AP is engaged. Also,
I think the correct term is “bing bing”
Bing Bing - Trump Tries Tesla Autopilot