Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got 2.42.40 last night. Drove to airport today (about 40 miles). Autopilot now asks me to put my hands in the wheel every minute or two, even when stopped at a traffic light! Never had that before. Just to be clear -- had to jiggle the wheel twice while waiting at one red long red light. Hope this stops.

2.42.40:

Many of the music app bugs are fixed, yay! Alpha scroller, no long USB scanning when the car wakes up, car remembers the last USB song it was playing, artist's songs ordered by album, USB search, much faster scrolling, less Slacker jumping. Much improved!

But....autopilot was awful today. It performed as well as usual as far as lane keeping and speed control is concerned (same route I take 5 days a week), but I too was getting nagged like crazy. Almost like someone at Tesla is playing a practical joke. For a while I was getting nags every 10-20 seconds! It was ridiculous. Whoever accidentally moved the decimal place in the code, please move it back. I've never had a more naggy AP experience. Seriously, it's WAY overdone Tesla...

I went straight from 7 to 8.0 2.42.40 soI guess I was "lucky" in that many of the USB issues have been fixed. However, after the update I cannot play any WMA files, just says "Loading Error" after I converted my entire library to FLAC it now plays correctly. However, 3/4 of my album art is gone--very disappointing.

Also, after the update, I had to "Forget" my home WiFi network as the car would continuously connect and disconnect to WiFi which had the side effect of making the Bluetooth continuously cycle on and off as well. EXTREMELY ANNOYING,

Autopilot, seems to work a bit better, but is much more naggy.

I got a software update notice this morning (and I started install once I parked at work). But on the way to work, the AP felt like it had regressed (serpentine, lane jumping). It's like it had to flush out the fleet-learning data to make room for the software update. Hmm.
I actually had the same feeling today. I do 100-300 miles of AP a day, so I cross the same areas frequently. The car clearly behaved differently today than it did 24 hours before. It was actually quite unsettling. I'm a huge Tesla apologist but I'll be honest, I was really disappointed today.

This threads obviously lesson is, don't be in a hurry to upgrade. Patience is a virtue.

Personally i'm a fan of the fast upgrade so I'm on the latest platform and able to get the next update sooner as they will have more data collected. A suggestion though is to anyone who has an issue click the button and report feedback from in within the car. I have to think the inter car feedback gets more eyes on it than us complaining here on some forum.

If you have been missing the updated 8.0 owner's manual in your MyTesla documents, look again after you get 4.42.40. I originally received 2.36.108 about a month ago, but no manual once it was released a couple of weeks ago. Got 4.42.40 yesterday and today I noticed that MyTesla now has a link to the manual.

Coincidence? I don't think so. The manual specifies that USB is included in the search functions, which didn't appear until 4.42.40. Sure seems like 8.0 was released to meet a date before all the function in the media player was tested and done.

If you have been missing the updated 8.0 owner's manual in your MyTesla documents, look again after you get 4.42.40. I originally received 2.36.108 about a month ago, but no manual once it was released a couple of weeks ago. Got 4.42.40 yesterday and today I noticed that MyTesla now has a link to the manual.

Coincidence? I don't think so. The manual specifies that USB is included in the search functions, which didn't appear until 4.42.40. Sure seems like 8.0 was released to meet a date before all the function in the media player was tested and done.

4.42.40 doesn't exist (yet), you mean 2.42.40 right?

Another bug that was fixed: FM radio no longer stutters for the first few seconds upon reentering the car, unlike prior 8.0 versions.

• Informative
Reactions: jgs
I just got 2.42.40 tonight. It looks like it resolved most of my issues with XM radio. Now Station names show up instead of just numbers and the whole channel guide shows up below the favorites list. There is still no way to direct enter a station number. I'm pretty happy they fixed this as it made XM pretty useless before. I sure hope voice recognition improved, because that's been pretty useless as well.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: vdiv

My preference is how the map / menu-buttons where before; that's how it was in the car I test drove and bought. Now that has been changed to a styling not of my liking, at all, and without any by-your-leave from me. Given how subjective styling is I'm amazed Tesla didn't make this change with some sort of pallet of variations that can be selected and then stored in a Driver profile

Understandable, but that complaint came when they changed the display for autopilot. People were used to the speedometer the old way. You can change the map to a different spot. Perhaps it could be a feature to save the display, but using "this is not the car you test drove and bought" statement? If that is your stand then you should just not update ever. You will keep the car you test drove and bought. However, methinks like most of us, one of the reasons you test drove and bought the car was because it, unlike almost every other car out, doesn't stay the same "car you test drove and bought".

one of the reasons you test drove and bought the car was because it, unlike almost every other car out, doesn't stay the same "car you test drove and bought

Like you I've previously taken issue with people who were annoyed at changes and stood on a soap-box - @green1 for example - but now I find myself in the same boat. Maybe at the next release you will too. Of course I am all for any improvements that are made to the car, and yes I did buy into that, but now I find, with my old eyes, that a change has been made to UI which makes it hard for me to read the screen. I can well understand that some people like the style change - however, it seems to me that the audience is split, maybe as much as 50:50 - what I can say is that it is just change for change sake. The changes from higher-contrast to low-contrast UI aren't necessary, they are just style. I work for a company that builds websites, and we have great designers, but in the last half dozen years I have seen time and again clients' marketing departments interfering in the process of usability to require styling changes purely to differentiate the product, always at a cost of usability. Experience tells me that it is not a good idea - but I certainly have no objection if a config. choice is provided which, after all, is easy enough to implement in computers - just switch out a style sheet of some sort depending on user preference - but it would be much better, particularly for something mission-critical like a car or plane, that the UI is simple and straightforward and not "Fur coat and no knickers"

I went straight from 7 to 8.0 2.42.40 soI guess I was "lucky" in that many of the USB issues have been fixed. However, after the update I cannot play any WMA files, just says "Loading Error" after I converted my entire library to FLAC it now plays correctly. However, 3/4 of my album art is gone--very disappointing.

Also, after the update, I had to "Forget" my home WiFi network as the car would continuously connect and disconnect to WiFi which had the side effect of making the Bluetooth continuously cycle on and off as well. EXTREMELY ANNOYING,

Autopilot, seems to work a bit better, but is much more naggy.
WMA stopped working with the original drop of 8.0. Since WMA is Microsoft's proprietary format and still requires licensing to create or modify those type of files, if I were to guess, it's support was deprecated by more general and open formats I found with 8.0 2.38.19 (I still don't have .40) that do work such as: AAC, AIF, FLA, FLAC, M4A Lossy, MP3, OGA (OGG Vorbis).

I know it torques many of us off when something stops working, so sorry. To me, it's just flat out painful that after 4 years Tesla still forces it's owners to guess as to what device types, formats and organization are officially supported via USB, to then sometimes be disappointed as future code drops like 8.0 change things. It's inexcusable for Tesla to not pay more attention to this sort of customer-oriented detail by now and just document it in the Owners Manual like every other mfgr has for years. If I were you, just convert your WMA files to a supported format for use in your Tesla like a number of us do to deal with other workarounds. You can easily do that with any number of free and fee audio conversion tools available for your OS. Good luck.

Last edited:
OK, so a little more input about AP in 2.42.40.

I'm not sure that nagging has increased across the board. What definitely seems new is that if you are applying accelerator input to go a little faster than what TACC is set to, you get nagged early and often. I don't remember that being so prominent in earlier versions.

I need to test further to know if nagging seems increased across the board.

I just got 2.42.40 tonight. It looks like it resolved most of my issues with XM radio. Now Station names show up instead of just numbers and the whole channel guide shows up below the favorites list. There is still no way to direct enter a station number. I'm pretty happy they fixed this as it made XM pretty useless before. I sure hope voice recognition improved, because that's been pretty useless as well.

Thanks for update....is it possible for you to attach a snapshot of what new XM UI looks like?

I got 8.0 2.42.40 last night for Halloween. I'm not sure if this was a Trick or a Treat. Haven't really had time to investigate any new features. The media player seemed more stable this morning as with previous mornings there would have been many songs that played to about 80% or 90% then skipped to the next track (presumably ran out of data in the song buffer). I had none of that this morning. All the songs played without interruption.