Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haha thanks for the plug, sadly I just got the update installed this morning and had conference calls on my drives to and from work.

I will provide some feedback that I don't believe I've read on here yet:

1. The Autosteer engage/disengage chimes cause the music/radio to lower in volume, which I found mildly annoying but could understand win Tesla did it

2. The map auto-zooming is NOT speed-based but location-based, e.g. on a freeway it zooms way out even if you're crawling in stop-and-go traffic

3. You can have up to 3 trip meters plus the odometer in the IC app, but the order in which they appear top-to-bottom is not customizable

4. Autosteer can now follow a car and actually track the lanes (not the car in front ) at much lower speeds that it used to in 7.x -- from my recollection it was around 20 mph.

This last one is a real treat, as my car would sometimes follow the car in front into an adjacent lane at low speeds even though I wanted to stay in my lane.

Here's an example screenshot; notice the blue lines even at < 10 mph while following another car:

View attachment 196407

Oh and I forgot to mention how silly the way USB media dumps all songs from an artist into one view, with no subfolder for albums, so the songs appear to be in a random order (not even alphabeticized)..

So overall I like v8.0. The UI is more inline with 2016. Sorry "get off my lawn guys." I kid of course. While driving home I engaged AP at a tricky section where the car swerved all over the road and even with the car in front of me switching lanes my car stayed planted in the lane and negotiated the lines disappearing perfectly and I suspect it will get even better with multiple drives.

Almost was annoyed that they removed the temperature adjustment from scroll wheel, but I found that today so that was a relief.

Never put music on a USB so a non issue for me.

Now my one question: How do I double click on the destination to create a round trip snapshot? I used that all the time and it seems they removed it. Please someone tell me they didn't.

1. The Autosteer engage/disengage chimes cause the music/radio to lower in volume, which I found mildly annoying but could understand win Tesla did it

That's unfortunate. I still don't think they've filled an engineering position to understand human factors properly. Yes noticing the engagement/disengagement is an issue, but messing with the volume won't help, it doesn't tackle the real reason a human brain misses these things.

• Love
Reactions: mda and Ulmo
So overall I like v8.0. The UI is more inline with 2016. Sorry "get off my lawn guys." I kid of course. While driving home I engaged AP at a tricky section where the car swerved all over the road and even with the car in front of me switching lanes my car stayed planted in the lane and negotiated the lines disappearing perfectly and I suspect it will get even better with multiple drives.

Almost was annoyed that they removed the temperature adjustment from scroll wheel, but I found that today so that was a relief.

Never put music on a USB so a non issue for me.

Now my one question: How do I double click on the destination to create a round trip snapshot? I used that all the time and it seems they removed it. Please someone tell me they didn't.
Iirc, the roundtrip is always there now. But I've only had a short drive and didn't need it so can't be sure. It was in that manual they give us to read...

4. Autosteer can now follow a car and actually track the lanes (not the car in front ) at much lower speeds that it used to in 7.x -- from my recollection it was around 20 mph.

This last one is a real treat, as my car would sometimes follow the car in front into an adjacent lane at low speeds even though I wanted to stay in my lane.

Here's an example screenshot; notice the blue lines even at < 10 mph while following another car:

View attachment 196407

I experienced the exact same thing, which I am very happy with! My commute takes me down the 405 here in SoCal. Not unusual to be in stop and go traffic at <18mph. On firmware 7.1, the car would lose lanes and while it would still be tracking the car in front, would fairly frequently drift either too far left or too far right. it was only until it reached 18mph that the car would start recognizing the lanes again and center itself.

Thus, at speeds below 18mph, I would find myself constantly fighting the car, applying just a little torque to keep the car in the center of the lane until speeds reached 18mph when the car could finally track the lanes and keep itself centered.

With this new "feature" in firmware 8, I expect my commute to be that much less stressful.