Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, @NikeWings
I have faith again in your 8-ball, just as I did for so long as a kid. It really was one of my best Christmas toys from Santa so many years ago. :)
Never loose faith !!

I can tell you that my installation is taking an arbitrarily longer amount of time than yours....of course it's probably because I have yet to receive 8.0. #sadtrombone
Hang on pdxgibby, the 8 starts the 24 hour clock at the point of question. ;)

Magic8 lied about me, too. There must be a wall between the rest of CA and SD. Wonder who paid for it??
Oh no, you too? Damn it's logic is as mysterious as Tesla's.....I'll give it another whack.

I awoke up to no update, bummed out on my drive, but within minutes of arriving at the office, boom!
Ran back downstairs and clicked <5 minutes ago. #notcomingbackfromlunchtoday :D

700 miles in, I think I've noticed a new subtle behavior I'm gonna call "UFO landing"...

Basically, once in a while AP will show you, white car in front, black car in front of that, and then far far ahead draw another white car, and start slowing down and increasing following distance.

I thought at first it was some sort of radar ghosting / false alarm issue, like the phantom white car syndrome with AP 7.1. But this morning I actually saw a car way up in front (maybe a quarter to half mile away) slam on its brakes to avoid some tire debris, and that actually caused my car to slow down while showing a white car way off in the distance!

It seems like AP in 8.0 is capable of detecting sudden slowdowns or extremely slow cars far off into the distance and start backing off ahead of time. So, don't just grumble and slam on the accelerator when AP in 8.0 slows down. You really wanna make sure you're seeing far enough ahead to not be lured into impending doom by your rabbit.

You've clearly never worked on a complex software project before. It isn't the actual programming of a checkbox that's difficult. What about testing, documentation, interactions with other features, how to handle upgrading software, worse what to do on a downgrade where the previous software has no idea what that saved unknown data is. (Does that mean the configuration data is corrupt and should all be erased?) Is the config tied to a driver profile?

What happens in the future- users HATE to have features removed (Tesla doesn't understand this, though). Usually, again Tesla doesn't give a *sugar*, new features/config settings have to be carried forward for a long time. If new user config settings are constantly being added, there are user interface and user experience issues to deal with.
"Clearly" you do not know me. I have worked on several very large and complex software projects over the years...

Properly design of the mirror control system should isolate it from interacting with most other systems in the car. An option to enable or disable a new feature should not add significantly to the testing of the new feature itself.

Properly setup options/configuration files are easily extendable and can be completely backward compatible with older version of the code. It's been done for years, it's just not that hard.

This is way off topic now so I'll stop, and get back to enjoying 8.0, which I finally got last night.

I see a couple mentions of it throughout the thread, but do we know what's up with Slacker? The release notes on my classic say Slacker is now Streaming Personal Radio, and if I scroll to the bottom of the streaming window the login to Slacker is blanked out, like many others in this thread.

Is this just removing most of the slacker branding (possibly in anticipation of a switch in streaming providers)? Or is this the switch itself, and we're still allowed to log in to our own Slacker account if we have one? It's not clear if the current setup in 8.0 is using Tesla-supplied credentials to Slacker and just calling it something else, or if it actually IS something else.

I think it is just their attempt to "standardize" across the globe. We get Slacker in North America, Europe gets Spotify, etc. The new interface means we all look at the same thing regardless of which provider is streaming.

Mike

I'm sure it depends on your router/router firmware as to whether you can see that kind of detail.

The update came in to my Model S in the wee hours of the morning Friday and my router logs show about 220 MB was received starting around 2 AM. The software update notification showed up on my phone around 5 AM.

View attachment 196175

That's awesome. I have the AirPort Extreme and I think you need SNMP enabled for logging which it won't do. I would love to be able to see those stats on my network though.

Edit: nevermind I see your router info in an earlier post.

Last edited:
That's awesome. I have the AirPort Extreme and I think you need smtp enabled for logging which it won't do. I would love to be able to see those stats on my network though.

You mean SNMP? Yeah, apple removed SNMP support from the latest airport extremes. I monitor mine directly from my router, that way I get LAN connections as well.

• Informative
Reactions: NikeWings
You mean SNMP? Yeah, apple removed SNMP support from the latest airport extremes. I monitor mine directly from my router, that way I get LAN connections as well.

Yes you're right obviously. Oops. I edited my post but you've captured my error for all of humanity to see. :cool: Also what do you mean "directly from my router" - AirPort Extreme is a router. What other way would you even do it?

I'm sure it depends on your router/router firmware as to whether you can see that kind of detail.

The update came in to my Model S in the wee hours of the morning Friday and my router logs show about 220 MB was received starting around 2 AM. The software update notification showed up on my phone around 5 AM.

NOLA......is it correct to say it took 2 hours to download the 220MB per your screenshot? Without that type of router, is there any other way I can determine when it actually arrived versus when I was notified? I'd like to start tracking. Thx.

But we had instantaneous kW in 7.1 as well. So we just lost info here, we didn't gain anything except having miles and kW on the same screen. I guess that is a win, but 7.1 has room for both and Tesla chose not to display it. We easily could have just had both in 8 and even removed the Energy vs. Miles setting.

Why confuse people by providing information that is essentially useless?

Not happy about this change to remove the Volts & Amps from the display when super charging.
Many Superchargers in California have been slow charging and we need the data for reporting to Tesla. :(

Really, it's up to us to report data to Tesla? I don't think so. Tesla monitors Superchargers and knows more about them than we do. The charge rate, in kW, is what determines whether you are getting good output from the Supercharger. If you are near empty and only getting 60 kW, then call Tesla and report that you are only getting 60 kW. In no way does providing watts and volts come into the picture.

• Disagree
Reactions: NOLA_Mike
Does anyone have a link to the Release notes (not car screenshots, but the actual pdf file) for 8.0?
8.0 Release Notes
General

1. Touchscreen redesigned around providing a large, uncluttered map
  2. Status bar and app icons will fade when car is driving, reappearing at a tap or when parked
Media Player

1. Updated "Now Playing" view and controls
  2. Favorites across all media types
  3. Play recent media
  4. Remove media from recent list with press and hold
  5. Improved media search and navigation
  6. Improved TuneIn support and navigation
  7. Updated radio design and navigation
Maps & Navigation

1. Swipe to navigate to home or office
  2. Controls now hide and show as required
  3. Improved location listing
  4. Map automatic zooming
  5. Option to avoid tolls and ferries
  6. Clearer turn instructions
  7. More visible round trip energy estimate
  8. Choice of time savings before traffic based re-routing
Voice Commands

1. Voice commands are easier to use
  2. More accurate contact matching
  3. Initiate voice commands with a single press of the steering wheel button
  4. Voice command transcript
  5. Voice command tips
  6. Improved voice command response time
  7. French and German support
Autopilot

1. Enhanced safety requirement which disables Autosteer during trip when safety warnings are ignored
  2. Redesigned Autopilot indicators
  3. Autopilot has been tuned to be more responsive and smoother in stop-and-go traffic
  4. Vehicles on the instrument panel show direction
Additional Improvements

1. Consistent airflow from fans throughout the car
  2. Smart climate control based on solar heating and position of the sun
  3. Passenger control of the touchscreen now lasts 30 minutes after the driver has left the car
  4. Intelligent HomeLink notifications
  5. Improved regenerative braking on all-wheel drive cars
  6. Improved Auto Front Door functionality (Model X only)
  7. Falcon Wing doors open and close more quickly (Model X only)

Now it's being marketed more as an autopilot car than an EV
The auto world is becoming more of a multidimensional competitive landscape going into 2017. Maybe for the sake of staying ahead of the competition Tesla is realizing it has to market its leading AP driver assistance equally with EV. Mercedes has lately been making a big deal about its new E-Class "most intelligent vehicle on the road" marketing campaign. And all the German automakers have EVs in the works (e.g., check out BMW's rapid expansion for 2017). On that note, Tesla also better start thinking about how to make its flagship MS more luxurious.

Yes you're right obviously. Oops. I edited my post but you've captured my error for all of humanity to see. :cool: Also what do you mean "directly from my router" - AirPort Extreme is a router. What other way would you even do it?

We might be getting a little off-topic here...but no worse that all the other crap I've been posting -- especially my whining about not getting 8.0 yet. Flame me if you must.

The Airport Extreme is basically an access point -- not really a router. Presumably you have a device from your ISP that provides an external IP address and ethernet plugs that will be on your local intranet. This is your router and it acts as a gateway for your Airport Extreme. The Airport Extreme is now acting like an access point providing wifi for your home, but it's not a router because all of the traffic destined for locations outside your home will go through the gateway / router to get there. In a normal home network, the router is the device that sits between your internal network and the internet. The Airport Extreme is only accessible inside your internal network (in the general case).

By the way....still no 8.0 here.

• Informative
Reactions: DrManhattan
I got it! 8.0(2.36.108) downloaded last night, applied this morning. Few notes on the downloading: I happened to be tinkering with my router and noticed a flow of 6-8 Mbps going to my car. It lasted about four minutes, terminating at around 23:22 PDT last night. That works out (if my math is correct) to somewhere on the order of about a 200 MB (that includes protocol overheads, etc.). After about 30 minutes I still hadn't gotten a a notification on my iPhone, so I went out to the car to check, and no alarm clock. I am sure my wife thought I was completely bonkers. At 00:11 (so that's about 50 minutes after the download finished) I finally got a notification, but decided I'd just go to sleep and deal with the upgrade in the morning. This morning I started the upgrade at 06:15 and it finished at 07:23.

Initial impressions: I'm kind of meh on the user interface reskinning...it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other. (My son hates the new icons and squared-off UI buttons.)

If you play with the new checkboxes for the trip counters / odometer, you'll see an example of the complexity I alluded to in an earlier post (which earned me a dislike from someone who apparently disagrees from me). The UI forces you to have at least one but no more than three of the odometer-type items selected (including "this trip", "Trip A", "Trip B", and odometer). You'll see the checkboxes get enabled and disabled correctly as you change the number of items checked. It's a bit subtle, and someone had to actually think about this a bit. And I think they did it correctly, so "nice job" to the anonymous engineers at Tesla who implemented this part.

I did AP for a short freeway stretch on the way to work. It did feel a little smoother but there could be some confirmation bias in that. I can see where having the radar see a few cars ahead has value, although that wasn't demonstrated on this trip due to the fact that traffic around me was traveling at roughly constant speed. I noticed the car nudging over slightly away from cars I was passing, though I wonder how well that would work with the area under a 40-foot semi-truck trailer.

The Nav autozoom in and out distracted me the first time I saw it but I tuned it out. I'm used to Waze doing the same thing, so no big deal. I wonder if the map redraws might push me over the edge to do the LTE upgrade on my car, since the MCU has to fetch rescaled map tiles a lot more than it used to.

I didn't play with the media player much. I like the use of built-in album art, but my son doesn't like the new interface. (As you can guess it was an interesting discussion on the way to school today.) I found some weird behavior I didn't notice before. I was listening to AM radio (stop laughing), but muted with the left scrollwheel as I got close to my destination. I was backing into a parking spot, then pressed the "Park" button on the, um, gearshift (what do you call the right stalk?). At this point the radio unmuted for a fraction of a second (I could hear one or two words) and then remuted. Awhile back someone posted about not being able to mute when backing up, I wonder if this is somehow related to that "feature". Anyway I'll be sending this paragraph off to ServiceHelpNA@ as a bug report.

Bruce.

We might be getting a little off-topic here...but no worse that all the other crap I've been posting -- especially my whining about not getting 8.0 yet. Flame me if you must.

The Airport Extreme is basically an access point -- not really a router. Presumably you have a device from your ISP that provides an external IP address and ethernet plugs that will be on your local intranet. This is your router and it acts as a gateway for your Airport Extreme. The Airport Extreme is now acting like an access point providing wifi for your home, but it's not a router because all of the traffic destined for locations outside your home will go through the gateway / router to get there. In a normal home network, the router is the device that sits between your internal network and the internet. The Airport Extreme is only accessible inside your internal network (in the general case).

By the way....still no 8.0 here.

Switches and access points can have SNMP interface counters too...that functionality is not restricted to routers. My (older) Airport Extremes have them, as did a couple of generations of Netgear access points I used before that. I'm a little surprised (maybe I shouldn't be) at the comment that the recent Airport Extremes got rid of this functionality. But I got traffic stats on my firmware download from my router (pfSense on a Soekris), estimated at somewhere around 200MB.

Bruce.

Reactions: pdxgibby
I got 8.0 last night and I was concerned about two things. 1 the right scroll wheel for the sunroof and the nags for autopilot. First thing I did was my sunroof with the right top wheel and it worked perfectly fine so I don't know if they fix that and I haven't tried autopilot yet but will shortly and I'll report back about the nags

Reactions: Shock-On-T