Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody else finding USB audio doesn't work AT ALL? My USB stick that used to work fine got read (insofar as the counter eventually got up to 100%) but the display subsequently sits at "MUSIC Starting..." for hours -- including through a reboot. And a USB stick remove/insert.
Update: still doesn't work now having added "rename USB stick" and "reorganize root directory" to the list of ways to poke at it. I did verify that if I drop a few tracks onto a different stick, it works fine. I'm torn whether to reformat the stick and start from scratch as my next step, or report it to Tesla as a bug and preserve the stick as-is so the problem can be reproduced. (See how I am optimistically assuming I can get rid of the problem by reformatting the stick and reloading the music? Isn't that cute?)

Given nobody else has reported problems I'm inclined to reformat rather than trying to get a response on a media player bug, though, the USB standard may have been deprecated before they get around to triaging much less working on it. By the way, have others had success with large-ish libraries? (Mine is 200 GB or so, roughly 25k tracks.)

Reactions: Tech_Guy
Bicyclists I'm curious about because its been claimed that it now shows bicycles now as motorbikes. But, I don't know how large the detection angle is. I do have 8.0, but I haven't encountered a cyclist yet.
It already detected bicycles as motorcycles since 7.1. I have many times pulled into my garage onto to have the hanging bicycle on the wall detected as a motorcycle. Sometimes it sees it as a car for some reason.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Update: still doesn't work now having added "rename USB stick" and "reorganize root directory" to the list of ways to poke at it. I did verify that if I drop a few tracks onto a different stick, it works fine. I'm torn whether to reformat the stick and start from scratch as my next step, or report it to Tesla as a bug and preserve the stick as-is so the problem can be reproduced. (See how I am optimistically assuming I can get rid of the problem by reformatting the stick and reloading the music? Isn't that cute?)

Given nobody else has reported problems I'm inclined to reformat rather than trying to get a response on a media player bug, though, the USB standard may have been deprecated before they get around to triaging much less working on it. By the way, have others had success with large-ish libraries? (Mine is 200 GB or so, roughly 25k tracks.)

If it was me I'd create a drive image of the stick. That way you can always return to it later by restoring the drive image.

After you create the drive image then reformat the drive, and slowly add music to it. Where you check to see if it worked every 5K songs or so. At some point I think it's likely that it will break and not work. So then you can tell Tesla where it broke. Kinda frustrating, but if it worked before then Tesla broke something.

You fail to mention what format it is in. Have you tried to scan the flash drive for potential file errors?

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia

Hummm. Maybe Tesla finally introduced a maximum number of tracks and max depth of the parent/child directory structure like every other vehicle I've ever owned has. Tesla has never elected to document any of that, but maybe it will show up in the new owners manual PDF when that hits My Tesla some day -- or is available in the new version in your MS that has 8.0 installed! HInt-Hint! Error recovery was not the best pre-8.0, so Media Player would often just sit as your seeing or stare blankly as if it hand not found any tracks, if e.g. you formatted wrong or introduced some more unusual non-Latin characters in track names or tagging.

If I were you, I'd try this in two steps. First, format a stick and put one track on, try that in the MS to be sure you are formatting correctly. Then, copy off less than 8K tracks to another USB stick that has no more than 6-deep in directory structure, and give that a try. When I was working through my USB challenges, I decided to land on about 6K tracks not just because it's where I have less CID hangs, but because 8K was the limit I remember from my former Lexus and IIRC, MBZ for max music tracks on a USB device. They both had 8-max for directory structure depth. It's hard to say if Tesla would choose a limit similar to other luxury brands, but IMHO they have to impose one somewhere, someday on owners, to prevent the hangs and slowdown problems we see in the fixed 2GB of storage that exists for not just USB track mapping, but Nav Places history, logging and all the working space they need for so much more we don't know about...

Couple of random notes.

Automatic operation of Homelink via geofencing now beeps when it triggers/operates. I love this. Sometimes it's the little things.

Someone posted earlier that the log on information for TuneIn and Slacker is missing. It's relocated. Bring the media window to full screen and scroll to the bottom of the "Streaming" window for the Slacker log on. Same thing for TuneIn.

Back to your regularly scheduled hand wringing and anticipation... :)

Mike
I hate beeps. Is there an option to turn it off? And still irritated that I don't have it yet...

I hate beeps. Is there an option to turn it off? And still irritated that I don't have it yet...

I haven't seen any option to turn that on or off. It's a pleasant beep (a Homelink beep if you will). Just a little "bling" to let you know the garage is being opened or closed without you having to refocus on the 17" display.

Mike

Then why was it called out implying it's a new feature? I don't have a link but I'm certain it was a review or screenshot of the release notes that was posted here.

There is nothing about it in the official release notes.

I likely read about it in a review, but the review was probably wrong. I didn't catch that it was wrong because it's not something I paid much attention to. With a cyclist I'm too busy making room from them to notice how my car interprets it if at all.

It is interesting from a deep learning perspective though. I can't wait for Tesla to switch away from MobileEye to using Nvidia hardware with more flexibility in deep learning. Where Tesla can constantly refine it and add things.

It's pretty fun presenting stuff in front of a camera to see what the computer thinks it is.

GitHub - dusty-nv/jetson-inference: Guide to deploying deep-learning inference networks and realtime object recognition tutorial for NVIDIA Jetson TX1.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: newtman
Sadly it turns those reports about Nav and MP were right on point. The problems with Nav are deep. Incorrect turn by turn, no choice of routing, no way points and on and on and the reports on this forum are that it's not fixed in 8.0. Elon tweeted a review of 8.0 from Bloomberg that basically said love AP, MP is confusing and the writer was incredulous that Tesla didn't fix Nav. He even gave some examples to prove it. I see lots of reports here on the new MP and they're pretty critical.
I don't blame you for not seeing the current issues with Nav because you just got your car but trust me, you will see what I mean and switch to your phone for directions eventually. This problem is now 3 or 4 years old. Agree with you about the degree of criticism is based on whats important and for me Nav is an essential driving tool and I've lost patience and confidence that they know how to fix it. If Climate Control and AP are your top priority and you don't care about infotainment or Nav sounds like you'll be happy.
I've had mine for 2 yrs and found the nav has improved a lot since then. I rarely have issues with it. So not everyone is having a negative experience.

I've had mine for 2 yrs and found the nav has improved a lot since then. I rarely have issues with it. So not everyone is having a negative experience.
Agree but there are dozens and dozens of threads and media reviews identifying this as an issue but there's also some like you that find it works for them. Mine slightly improved in January when the new map database was pushed out too but it still gets lost (bad route) 40% of the time it used to be 60%.
Incidentally, are you finding 8.0 Nav is more accurate than 7.1?

Last edited:
Thanks for the dislike on my post @slevit1md. When I posted the message it was in the Dutch part of the forum. The mods decided to move the whole thing over. Next time, please dislike the mod responsible and not my post.
And @slevit1md: no need to apologize (although you are welcome to do so) but the simple fact that you were "disliking" every single post written in Dutch because it was written in Dutch (which posts were never intended to end up in this "combined" thread, because we were only discussing, in Dutch, implementation of 8.0 in the Low Countries) is not really appreciated.

Last edited: