Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, if you really want to get excited about good UI and what it can do for our car, see this, by the same designer: Day 10 - Tesla Model 3 UX UI Animation flow
I note what I have been saying for a long time on this forum -- this beautiful interface relies upon a very robust voice command system for your main interface with the car -- the display is merely a way to quickly and efficiently convey information back to us. This is how Musk should be playing it.
My son is a UI/UX student (retooling his Bard degree for the workplace after starving for too long), and he found this for me, just to get me pissed off (to be fair, that wasn't his intent, I think).

Reactions: msnow
In the "Software Updates" tab on Teslafi.com, which keeps track of software versions being used for all Teslafi.com users, I'm starting to see a whole new firmware series show up -- 3 cars were updated on Thursday to firmware version 103.53.1 -- a radical departure from the 2.3x.xxx pattern of updates over the last 6 months.

Could it be this is v8.0 already making its way out?
image.png

We talked about this in one of the other threads.

EV-FW.com is mostly self-reported. TeslaFi.com is automatically pulling the firmware version from the API.

just saw on another forum that this would be the final beta

We have seen firmware releases in the past starting in the 100.x.y range before, but they were isolated. In some cases they were beta test releases, others not (i.e. real firmware builds to non-beta testers).

But wouldn't 8.0 have a build number 8.0.0.0....

The Build number is different from the firmware Release version. We don't yet know what the build numbers will be for Firmware V8.x. But I suspect it will be along the lines of 2.x.y -- all build numbers going back to Firmware Version 6.1 had 2.x.y build numbers. Maybe for V8 they'll just jump to 3.x.y build numbers, but who knows what they will do.

But something we've also learned with the firmware tracker -- there is usually very little logic to the build numbers. So whatever pops up, even if it's totally different, doesn't automatically mean that Version 8 (or whatever the next thing due to be released is) is actually being released.

I note what I have been saying for a long time on this forum -- this beautiful interface relies upon a very robust voice command system for your main interface with the car -- the display is merely a way to quickly and efficiently convey information back to us.
How does this work for a deaf driver who cannot be understood by the voice command system? My spouse is deaf. Is my spouse supposed to have gimped functionality simply because the car won't understand him? Tesla needs to take all drivers into account when they design the systems, not just those who can speak clearly.

How does this work for a deaf driver who cannot be understood by the voice command system? My spouse is deaf. Is my spouse supposed to have gimped functionality simply because the car won't understand him? Tesla needs to take all drivers into account when they design the systems, not just those who can speak clearly.
Amped, I don't think voice command occurs to the exclusion of touch panel and steering wheel controls. However, unfortunately for those with speech issues, I believe that from an ergonomic and safety perspective of keeping your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel, voice commands are the safest, followed by steering wheel controls, followed far behind by having to lunge to look for a "button" to press on the touchscreen.
In any event, we have seen zero indication during the past three years of any progress (or priority placed) on voice commands, and since Elon firmly believes in AP to the exclusion of all else, he anticipates that we will all have plenty of time to fiddle with poorly placed buttons on the screen while the car drives for us (unless one is a MS Classic driver,like you and me). So don't worry quite yet about your spouse being at a relative disadvantage due to voice command, because we have already been left behind....

Many more voice commands would be great! Won't need autopilot so much because wont be fumbling with
screen with eyes off the road ;)

AR: Don't forget the voice stuff currently uses LTE backhaul send speech to Google and back. If no backhaul you need to
also have the touch method.

Yes, 103.53.1 is indeed an EAP version of 8.0.

I've played with it quite a bit today. AP is improved, but it's nothing earth shattering.

The CID is definitely less laggy. The browser is the same crappy thing, but in general they have squeezed out a bit more performance. It's helped that they've turned off the horrendous amount of syslog logging that used to be happening in the background.

In the US we get to keep Slacker (at least in this version), in the EU it's still spotify.

pic

It's the same basic UI that's been reskinned again. The navigation will go full screen when you are driving and use ALL the screen real estate, hiding the 2 bars at the top.

The Media player has been redone. Seems to work much better and the UI is nice.

Oh, and they've improved some things on the IC making AP icons more obvious, and if engaging AP "misses" engaging instead of it just keeping TACC on it turns it off. It also seems to ask you to put your hands on the wheel you didn't have your hands on when AP didn't engage. Nice safety improvement!

Also, this is cool, they let you pick a small bit of the things displayed in the IC:

pic

Oh, and they've improved some things on the IC making AP icons more obvious, and if engaging AP "misses" engaging instead of it just keeping TACC on it turns it off. It also seems to ask you to put your hands on the wheel you didn't have your hands on when AP didn't engage. Nice safety improvement!
I ginger, anything new on voice commands?
Sorry you are Ginger! =)

I haven't seen anything new for the voice commands, but at least now when you say a command, it shows what it heard on the IC.