Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've basically given up on Tesla and Elon ever making any positive changes to infotainment. It's a shame, too, that a Silicon Valley company steeped in software engineering cannot put together a decent navigation and media interface for its cars.

HEADS-UP TESLA - IT'S BEEN ALMOST FOUR YEARS!!!

Tesla's almost single-minded focus on Autopilot, and at the expense of other software systems, should bother everyone.
It bothers me.

I should clarify that I don't expect to *not* get the "avoid highways" and "avoid toll roads" and other base functions of $29.95 GPS units which today almost forced me to reach for my cell phone which is a HUGE fine and POINTS here in Ontario. So frustrating for those of us who have to get around town.

And the other stuff that was reported in the beta... I believe they are coming too, the 200+ other improvements.

I just wish they were unbundled from "AP 1.5 / 8.0" ! That is my beef here and it seems I'm not alone. Adding basic features that have been missing for years should not be considered a major release as we're not buying 8.0. It just makes no sense to me.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I should clarify that I don't expect to *not* get the "avoid highways" and "avoid toll roads" and other base functions of $29.95 GPS units which today almost forced me to reach for my cell phone which is a HUGE fine and POINTS here in Ontario. So frustrating for those of us who have to get around town.

And the other stuff that was reported in the beta... I believe they are coming too, the 200+ other improvements.

I just wish they were unbundled from "AP 1.5 / 8.0" ! That is my beef here and it seems I'm not alone. Adding basic features that have been missing for years should not be considered a major release as we're not buying 8.0. It just makes no sense to me.
I get and agree with what you're saying wrt missing essential features and functionality but I can see why they are calling this a major release aside from AP.
New UI with new skins, look and feel. That's always going to be considered a major new release by any OS (Microsoft, Apple).

Hopefully I'm not being overly cynical (I dislike cynicism) but I get a niggling feeling that even if there's a UI overhaul, some people are going to continue to be just as dissatisfied. "Well, it's about time. What about ____?!" is what comes to mind.

Surely I'm wrong.
I'll be happy if they just do the stuff mentioned in the leak, particularly Nav which has been a long standing issue.

Reactions: bmah
image.png
Hopefully I'm not being overly cynical (I dislike cynicism) but I get a niggling feeling that even if there's a UI overhaul, some people are going to continue to be just as dissatisfied. "Well, it's about time. What about ____?!" is what comes to mind.

Surely I'm wrong.
Only in this echo chamber. I have 5 other friends/neighbor's with Teslas who don't frequent forum, and I predict their reaction will be "cool, I got a new update!". I donut think this forum is representative, but I'm happy to be part of the fringe.

Surely I'm wrong.
No, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. :)
IMG_7172.JPG

Surely I'm wrong.

I'll be totally excited about any and all new stuff for the "Classics"... I just hope they don't continue to "improve" the UI. The move from 6.x to 7.x was atrocious... I just really hope that they fix some of the things they really farked up (high beam indicator, time/temp/date on the IC, battery SOC replaced with useless odo, dark grey numbers on a black background, etc). And for the love of god, please don't take away our beautiful and classic speed, energy and regen dial!! If they do just that much, you probably won't hear much complaining from me (believe it or not!).