Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the sound quality is that important to you, why not "load up a USB stick with music"? The low profile ones are so small it's not even noticable-- just looks like a cover on the USB port.

The sound quality isn't THAT important to me, but since I'm going to have the phone plugged in anyway, why recompress the audio. At this point, all of my new music is from Apple Music so I can't load that to a USB stick, plus I often listen to their playlists so I don't even have most of those songs in my library. Probably even more than that, why not be able to access my whole and always up to date music library or whatever streaming playlist I'm listening to on my phone since that will always be there.

I don't know if I'm just being dense or what but I can't find my tunein favorites anywhere. I see my favorites from terrestrial radio but nothing else.
Yeah, me too! Half of my slacker favorites disappeared, and all,of my tune in favorites!
And why can't I have a screen that just shows all of my favorites across all sources, like in 7.1? Now my favorites are relegated to a single line in "now playing" that I have to scroll across, while the "browsing" page is almost entirely taken up by multiple rows of "popular streams" and "DJ curated streams" that I will never ever listen to! Very Annoying!

Update: still doesn't work now having added "rename USB stick" and "reorganize root directory" to the list of ways to poke at it. I did verify that if I drop a few tracks onto a different stick, it works fine. I'm torn whether to reformat the stick and start from scratch as my next step, or report it to Tesla as a bug and preserve the stick as-is so the problem can be reproduced. (See how I am optimistically assuming I can get rid of the problem by reformatting the stick and reloading the music? Isn't that cute?)

Given nobody else has reported problems I'm inclined to reformat rather than trying to get a response on a media player bug, though, the USB standard may have been deprecated before they get around to triaging much less working on it. By the way, have others had success with large-ish libraries? (Mine is 200 GB or so, roughly 25k tracks.)

Everyone should report the USB media player bugs. Tesla can't have intended to break it this badly so they must just be unintentional bugs.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
Giving how badly the USB player is broken I'll be one of the one irritated WHEN I receive the update because I'll forever have to stare at that yellow clock and dismiss the install dialog once a day....every day....forever :mad:

This is the sort of module that is seperate enough from the core software that they should just contract it out to a good sw dev house. No reason Tesla needs to be experts at multimedia UI. That way the still own it and control it but can focus on other things.

This is the sort of module that is seperate enough from the core software that they should just contract it out to a good sw dev house. No reason Tesla needs to be experts at multimedia UI. That way the still own it and control it but can focus on other things.
CarPlay would solve their Nav and Media Problems along with freeing up resources. Of course they don't own it and I'm sure paying Apple wouldn't sit right with Elon.

Just FYI, the MP3 codec has been supported natively by Bluetooth for a while now, so there is no loss at all. The audio system receives the same stream of 0s and 1s as if it were a wired connected or USB.
Note: other formats such as flac or wma will continue to be compressed over Bluetooth, so do benefit from hard wired connection.

Um, no.

I think you mean to imply the A2DP profile is supported. The only codecs on the A2DP profile that are currently lossless are apt-x or aac.

If you connect with an iOS device, it'll will indeed use aac. If you're connecting with an android or anything else, even a mac, it will use SBC and the bitpool setting even at the highest setting is still very lossy.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
Um, no.

I think you mean to imply the A2DP profile is supported. The only codecs on the A2DP profile that are currently lossless are apt-x or aac.

If you connect with an iOS device, it'll will indeed use aac. If you're connecting with an android or anything else, even a mac, it will use SBC and the bitpool setting even at the highest setting is still very lossy.
I'm confused. Is the quality better or not having iOS wired rather than BT?

I'm confused. Is the quality better or not having iOS wired rather than BT?

For iOS it'll be the same as the aac file is streaming directly over BT without any loss.

If you're on Android, it'll be worse because the Tesla is using the SBC condec which is not lossless. I've complained and complained to Tesla to please add apt-x as almost every other BT audio device on the planet earth has supported that codec for at least 2 years now.

Um, no.

I don't mean MP3 is lossless, I mean that MP3 is not further compressed by BT streaming.

All OK but 1 major 'feature fail" related to TMs decision to force either Nav or the Backup camera at the top of the touchscreen--now if you want to keep Nav on top and the backup camera on full time at the bottom, and you select any other app, then you have to go back and rearrange the Nav and Backup apps on the touchscreen. I want it to stay as is--I pick where I want my apps and want them left there.

Can you no longer drag from the icon right to the bottom or hold the icon and chose the bottom panel directly like in 7.1?