Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh boy another slew of issues on this firmware update. Does anyone know if my X will be updated to the latest on delivery tomorrow? Or perhaps it will be the previous version which was relevant when the car was in production?
Just my understanding from the reading the forums, it sounds like whenever you take your vehicle into Tesla they seem to always update to the latest firmware. Therefore, I'd expect you to have the latest firmware when picking up for the first time.

• Informative
Reactions: ssq
Oh boy another slew of issues on this firmware update. Does anyone know if my X will be updated to the latest on delivery tomorrow? Or perhaps it will be the previous version which was relevant when the car was in production?
@ssq - Likely that your SC would update to latest software as part of their pre-delivery inspection routine. However, just because a few people have reported issues in the forum doesn't mean that it is widespread. I took delivery on 3/31 and I was scared by all the posts of the quarter end rush jobs and build issues. I spent an hour with the DS going through the checklist. And my car has been pretty much great (knock on wood).

• Helpful
@ssq - Likely that your SC would update to latest software as part of their pre-delivery inspection routine. However, just because a few people have reported issues in the forum doesn't mean that it is widespread. I took delivery on 3/31 and I was scared by all the posts of the quarter end rush jobs and build issues. I spent an hour with the DS going through the checklist. And my car has been pretty much great (knock on wood).
Which checklist did you use? The one on the dedicated thread and on google docs? I am kind of in a rushed situation and I hope I dont miss key ones. Suggestions are most welcome.

Which checklist did you use? The one on the dedicated thread and on google docs? I am kind of in a rushed situation and I hope I dont miss key ones. Suggestions are most welcome.
Really just concentrate on the fit and finish issues and getting a briefing on everything the car does. Forget everything else because it can easily be fixed later. Don't stress on the car. Have fun and good luck.

I used the google docs ones linked to by the thread. I suggest that you focus on cosmetic issues during your delivery. You can run through the detailed functional stuff at home.

My ...F00041X has a Jan. 2016 production sticker on it, but they didn't factory deliver it until 3/22/2016. It's been very stable (knock on wood) the first 5,500 miles. I took it in for the first 2,400 units third row seat back replacement, which they did same day. The only issues worth mentioning I'll need addressed next time I feel that I can part with it for a few days are:
  1. Replacement of the frunk's rubber gasket seal. It looked like this part was oversized and when they squeezed it in, there is an area where it bubbles way out of position. I noticed this on delivery day.

2. Replacement of the inner driver's door rubber gasket seal, the part on the body itself. It is too thin on the right side and about a foot long piece separated. I noticed the exact same defect in another early X at a supercharger back in April, so I reported it so Tesla could replace the part with a gasket with rubber that is either a little thicker or stronger. I think the early firmware that whacked the driver's door closed hard contributed to this.

3. Replace some of the sensors on the driver's side FWD. It often detects a "ghost" obstacle that isn't there when closing, and I have to press and hold to override to get it to close.
Back in mid-March, when I went to Factory Service to pick up my HPWC, I was Xcited to see a sea of undelivered X's in the parking lot nearby. I received permission to check them out, curious if I could spot mine (I didn't). I noticed they all had paper attached to them with various re-work needed listed. Factory Service had 1/2 their bays allocated to doing "fixes". Now that the production line is ramped and quality has improved, I assume this is no longer the case?

• Helpful
I gotta say, I'm quite disappointed with the latest update. Two days ago, everything was working quite well. Now, my trunk won't fully open in my garage (I have very high ceilings). The FWDs won't open completely unless you are in a wide open space. Last night, I was at a supercharger and the FWD wouldn't open automatically at all because of the car next to it. It wasn't that close. I had to hold the button for a while to force it open. It was actually quite embarrassing with 10 people there and a guest in the back seat. Putting out bad updates on such an amazing car is quite annoying and disappointing.

I have this issue after software updated. If I stand by the door and press the handle from the outside, the door will open until it hits me.
This means if there is a car next to mine, the falcon door will have been damaged before it stops. Tesla should do better

• Helpful
Reactions: KaiserSoze
I suggest that everyone that has an issue with the current firmware should press the "talk" button on their steering wheel and say:

"Report" <falcon wing door issue description>

That goes right to TSLA. (It's how I got a scrollable list of favorite GPS destinations added beyond the 11 fixed ones we had before implemented 3 weeks after requesting it through this interface.)

Tesla's Autopilot engineers are loaned X's (and S's) on the weekend to drive so they can test their own code in real life situations. I know this because I've chatted with them while they were supercharging in Silicon Valley (about nothing proprietary, of course).

IMHO, if these engineers also tested upcoming features like FWD behavioral modifications, more issues could be caught before the update is released into the wild.

I also think Tesla needs to construct a set of QA garages of different configurations, if they haven't already, to test FWD's. It seems like they are pushing out frequent updates, and then relying on customer's garages to test and provide feedback to them, which is wrong in my playbook.

I also noticed that this update has swung the pendulum the other way, making the FWD too conservative in my garage. Even under a deciduous tree, a door stopped early. Here, I used the override-and-remember-GPS, so I was ok with it.

One suggestion for the hatch not opening fully. Press the outside button on the hatch (above the license plate) and it will raise from the partial position to the full open position.

While it is a surprise to have the doors and hatch open partially, I understand why Tesla would decide to protect paint and avoid damage. Maybe a Tesla hard hat could be a future clothing item for the Model X owners.

iu

One suggestion for the hatch not opening fully. Press the outside button on the hatch (above the license plate) and it will raise from the partial position to the full open position.

While it is a surprise to have the doors and hatch open partially, I understand why Tesla would decide to protect paint and avoid damage. Maybe a Tesla hard hat could be a future clothing item for the Model X owners.

iu
Maybe worthwhile adding that in the first day of ownership I got "falcon squeezed" several times because of jeans+key fob +...click. I should stop carrying the key fob in the pocket perhaps.. my jeans are not so tight either but when stretched they invariably result in key clicks ughh.
Second issue I saw was that the driver side Fwd open button was greyed out when I had the X in D but with the brake pressed. The passenger side FWD did not show this behavior. My passengers were able to open the driver side FWD from outside. I will take a video or pictures next time I see this happen.

With the latest firmware - the FWD doors now seem to work well in my garage. They open to the best height they can and they no longer bang into things. This is a HUGE improvement. It also looks like it opens to the same height whether the garage door is open or not - which is good as it means someone opening the garage door while the FWDs are open won't cause a collision. I say "looks like" because I haven't had the guts to test it. The clearance seems to within a tolerance of less than 1/2 inch and I don't want to risk it.

However, I have a second location where I regularly charge my car that is outside with ample clearance above and on the side. The doors only open to restricted height at that location for no apparent reason. Because I am outside - I am not conditioned to duck so I still hit my head. This door behavior makes no sense to me. I am surmising that because this is a regular private charging location, the car thinks it must be a garage and goes into garage mode. I also don't get the choice to open the FWDs to their full height. The other theory is that because I pass under a low hanging tree before reaching the clearing location - it also is surmising that the available height is constrained to the height of the tree. Either way, I would be quite happy though if I could tell it to open fully at this location.

Almost there with the doors.

I have noticed one of the doors doesnt go fully up even when there is ample space in open parking lot with a car a good 2 feet away. The same thing happened in my garage earlier where there was nothing to hit the FWD, I accepted that as a conservative behavior and did "Open fully at this location" This is weird!!
Secondly I reported on another appropriate thread that the X when summoned opened the garage door, parked itself halfway inside-outside and then closed the door on itself! I caught it in time!

I have noticed one of the doors doesnt go fully up even when there is ample space in open parking lot with a car a good 2 feet away. The same thing happened in my garage earlier where there was nothing to hit the FWD, I accepted that as a conservative behavior and did "Open fully at this location" This is weird!!
Secondly I reported on another appropriate thread that the X when summoned opened the garage door, parked itself halfway inside-outside and then closed the door on itself! I caught it in time!
Um...should you have a sensor on your garage door to prevent closing when there is an obstacle in the way? It's required by law up here in Canada.

Sorry. But first people don't like that it can hit garage. So TM does what it can with in place sensor (yes, they should have always had one for trunk, but whatever), and now people don't like it.

Remember, for the trunk, the height is limited based on the sensor on top middle of car. So, for me, that part is under my garage door opener and, therefore, lower than every other part of garage. As such, my trunk opens lower than it did before two updates ago (when trunk auto height was included in a stealthy manner). Whatever. They're trying and it will continue to get better. They can only work with the sensors they have.
Your trunk open height observations & garage door location I have exactly. It's all still good, I just need room for dog to leap in, he does...... and clearance to everything is generous.

The option to raise to full height does not appear for me. I believe it is supposed to appear under controls->doors. I will call tech support next time I am at that location and see if they can help me resolve it.
Try opening the doors fully with the touchscreen and the option to save the full open setting for your location should appear at the top of the door controls at the touchscreen.

Of course, make sure you have enough room before fully opening the Falcon Wing Doors and rear hatch from the touchscreen!

Um...should you have a sensor on your garage door to prevent closing when there is an obstacle in the way? It's required by law up here in Canada.
There is a sensor. But the sensor is at ankle level and a laser transmitted-receiver pair. Now imagine the car halfway in the garage so the front wheel is past the sensor line and rear wheels are behind it. So essentially its a void space and the sensor doesnt see any obstacle. See my point ? Quite an edge case...

There is a sensor. But the sensor is at ankle level and a laser transmitted-receiver pair. Now imagine the car halfway in the garage so the front wheel is past the sensor line and rear wheels are behind it. So essentially its a void space and the sensor doesnt see any obstacle. See my point ? Quite an edge case...
Can you raise your sensor a few inches? The X sits pretty low in the first place, and iirc when I installed my opener years ago they give you a pretty good range of heights with which to put the sensors. I didn't go super high for ease of the gymnastics of closing and running out (which I no longer do since I added the MyQ gateway), but I'm pretty sure it's still high enough to catch the X.