Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that one of the settings that's saved for each profile? Is it possible they have a "service" profile and the tech changed it?

It's a body shop hole in the wall, not a Tesla SC or even authorized shop. There is no 'service' profile. I know they didn't change anything or mess with the car, they were just fixing scratches in the paint. They may have moved the car a total of 20 feet.

Thank goodness for a couple of Tesla forums like TMC that help somewhat fill in the gaps for me. As to how much these little frustrations add up, influencing my future purchase decisions when it comes time to replace my MS, or my own recommendations to others looking at purchasing a BEV in the meantime, I can't be sure.

I agree with all of your post. The only thing I will add is that when I start getting frustrated with Tesla to the point where I start thinking "...what are my other options..." then I quickly come back to the fact that there are none.

The "other guys" do not even offer over the air software updates much less any release notes with them...

Mike

• Funny
Reactions: JenniferQ
These perhaps subtle points are not evident to most owners until after they purchase, but people keep buying Tesla with the service and practices they are delivering, so IMHO as long as Tesla sells enough new product to move forward, and as long as there is no significant negative press, it reinforces to Elon and Tesla all is well with a majority.

Tesla unlike most more mature auto mfgrs, does not seem to have advisory councils and participate in JD Edwards surveys (or something similar across brands) as it relates to customer sat. Some owners like myself (and perhaps yourself) believe Tesla has room for improvement which IMHO would likely serve the brand well with both some number of current and future owners. Others as you've seen in their replies are accepting and defend Tesla's present ways. I don't get into the food fights with those folks any more. To me, "It is what it is". I don't believe Tesla is being nefarious, but I also don't believe Tesla's aperture has yet opened to change on things like better Release Notes, so I just move on and accept it as the way it is today. Thank goodness for a couple of Tesla forums like TMC that help somewhat fill in the gaps for me. As to how much these little frustrations add up, influencing my future purchase decisions when it comes time to replace my MS, or my own recommendations to others looking at purchasing a BEV in the meantime, I can't be sure.

Well said and yes I agree with you.

Reactions: msnow
On the question of release notes, one point that folks consistently forget is that all releases don't get pushed to all cars. To have fully accurate release notes, they would need to be customized to the car based on previous release that the car received. While this could be easily automated for detailed defect and feature change lists that would be useless to most folks, automating this at a meaningful summary level is much harder.

That said, as a former software developer myself, I would dearly love to see better release notes. And Tesla has created this problem for themselves by this odd process of frequent releases to small samples of cars, with occasional release that go to many but not necessarily all cars. I do get that Tesla does put out "passive" code that gathers data on how the cars are being driven for use in future code development, likely as test data for refining algorithms. But even that could be handled by one or two releases per month that go to most cars and could be documented by release notes. Tesla's software release practice remains totally inscrutable to me.

Reactions: Andyw2100
I have actually never gotten the regular auto park to work. I'll check with the service center to see if they can. I assume I am alone in never experiencing Autopark? I prefer to park myself, but it would be cool to see.

Love Perpendicular parking in my garage. It is better than what I can do. It is now a staple for me as long as the other car in my garage is parked. It would be cool if it recognized the spot and parked whether another was there or not. My space is between a wall and another car.

Love Perpendicular parking in my garage. It is better than what I can do. It is now a staple for me as long as the other car in my garage is parked. It would be cool if it recognized the spot and parked whether another was there or not. My space is between a wall and another car.

Would you mind taking a picture of your garage set up?

I've been trying to get mine to perpendicular park in my garage, but every time it tries, it wants to drive directly into the other parked car.

I've been trying to get mine to perpendicular park in my garage, but every time it tries, it wants to drive directly into the other parked car.

I think that's how perpendicular parking works. It first drives backwards until it ALMOST hits the other car. Then it drives forward again with the steering wheel turning in the other direction. Then backwards again and done.
In the video below it even does needs to go forward twice, mine usually does that only ones.

I think that's how perpendicular parking works. It first drives backwards until it ALMOST hits the other car. Then it drives forward again with the steering wheel turning in the other direction. Then backwards again and done.
In the video below it even does needs to go forward twice, mine usually does that only ones.

Mine reversed close the other vehicle, moved forward, and then reversed back into the other vehicle. It definitely seemed confused.

I'll have to try again. Fingers crossed.

Mine reversed close the other vehicle, moved forward, and then reversed back into the other vehicle. It definitely seemed confused.
I'll have to try again. Fingers crossed.

Remember, the Tesla can "see" in reverse much better than its driver can. Turn on the rear view camera to watch. The only issue I have sometimes is another impatient driver zipping around me, with the Tesla just beginning to move forward. A quick tap of the brake stops my car, then a "resume" button appears, allowing the job to finish.

I have found auto perpendicular parking to be extremely reliable. I use it whenever I can. Although it can seem a little slow at times. I wish I could use auto parallel parking more. I have only done that once in six months. Opportunity to parallel park is rare for me.

Remember, the Tesla can "see" in reverse much better than its driver can. Turn on the rear view camera to watch. ...
I've never seen any evidence that the rear camera is used for anything other than conveying video to the driver via the console, annotated with lines that project where the edges of the car are going based on the position of the steering wheel. I think that Autopark is using only the rear ultrasonic sensors. Anyone have information to the contrary?

Per tech support, 2.22.15 included a bugfix for the spinning cursor problem in Nav/Trip Planner that cropped up recently. Fixed mine, anyway. Also worth remembering to de-select the upper right lightning bolt button to reduce rendering load (won't show all the HPWCs).