Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never seen any evidence that the rear camera is used for anything other than conveying video to the driver via the console, annotated with lines that project where the edges of the car are going based on the position of the steering wheel. I think that Autopark is using only the rear ultrasonic sensors. Anyone have information to the contrary?
I believe that's right. I was understanding the previous poster's use of "see" to be in the broadest sense of "perceive in some way".

Regardless of whether electromagnetic or sonic radiation is being used to get the job done, I do agree that the system seems to work pretty well though. Even though it often seems as though it's about to end in disaster, it never has for me.

Yes, the rear camera is not available to the AP at all, this is a hardware limitation, so there is no way it will ever be used for any automation. It also cannot be recorded by the CID.

All parking operations are handled by the 12 ultrasonic sonar sensors.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
What bug is that? Could you please elaborate what is wrong?

On the refreshed model S vehicles, they removed the "DRL" selection button in the lighting controls. The intent was to prevent turning off the DRLs since Tesla considers them "signature" lights and wants them to remain on.

However, the firmware has a bug in it where if the headlight control is in "Auto" (which most people always select), the DRLs don't come on at all during the daytime, they only come on once the headlights are on. Only if you put the controls in ""Parking" or "On" mode do the DRLs come on in the daytime.

Essentially the removal of the DRL button has made the DRL selection behind the scenes "off", with no way to change it.

On the refreshed model S vehicles, they removed the "DRL" selection button in the lighting controls. The intent was to prevent turning off the DRLs since Tesla considers them "signature" lights and wants them to remain on.

However, the firmware has a bug in it where if the headlight control is in "Auto" (which most people always select), the DRLs don't come on at all during the daytime, they only come on once the headlights are on. Only if you put the controls in ""Parking" or "On" mode do the DRLs come on in the daytime.
This is also a “bug” on the Model X. You can also turn the headlight off to enable the DRLs. Turning off Range mode also makes the DRLs stay on all the time.

Normally I see the s/w update notices in the morning. Today, mid-morning, I happened to be near the factory and down to about 30% with some time to kill before a meeting so I used the Supercharger for about half an hour. As I was leaving I got an update notice; not clear if the car had connected to factory wifi or not, I hadn't noticed. Later when I got home I installed 2.22.50, which had the same "Summon" update notice as we've seen for awhile.

I happened to be doing some work in the garage while the update was installing and you would have thought the car was totally possessed! Things clicked and clacked, motors whirred, for about a minute the headlights were cycling on/off, then the music came on/off a few times. I suppose it's some sort of verification step to see if things are working after the install.

In any case we're now up to 2.22.50.

This is by far the longest we've ever gone without a significant update in the software. Wonder if issues with the X's software have taxed the team to the point where they haven't been able to devote as much time to other development.

Kinda disappointing since there's still so much room for improvement. Either way, I'm really hoping we see a significant update soon.

Reactions: Lex and Nevek
This is by far the longest we've ever gone without a significant update in the software. Wonder if issues with the X's software have taxed the team to the point where they haven't been able to devote as much time to other development.

Kinda disappointing since there's still so much room for improvement. Either way, I'm really hoping we see a significant update soon.

It sure seems like, on the other hand, they've been spending a lot of time tweaking and tuning the Autopark/Summon features. Even when 7.1 first came out, I test drove a friend's Model S, and it was still (don't hurt me) frighteningly squirrelly whenever you're not following another car, and even sometimes when you're following a car.

That actually nearly caused me to dismiss the MS altogether when I was shopping for my current car 2 months ago. But I eventually was convinced by some loyal fans to test drive, and wow, the 7.1 I experienced on my extended test drive was nothing like the squirrelly exit-diving student driver Autopilot that I had experienced.

I do agree that it seems time to move on and offer some meaningful functionality changes soon, but for the time being, I haven't minded that the 7.1 features were being refined.